PPD or Normal??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what's going on here, I'm crying at the drop of a hat and feel guilty that I'm not spending my time with B. Lilah can't breast feed like she's supposed to so she sucks long enough to get the first let down and then she falls asleep starving and cries as soon as I put her down wanting to root/suck again. Some times she can't latch on at all. It's not going great with nursing like it was, it's makes me feel worthless. AFter the tramatic experience with delivery and the NICU we aren't going to have more children and this was my last chance to have this nursing relationship with my baby. We took her to the ped on Thur and Frid and she lost an ounce with breast feeding only and my mama instinct told me she needed more, so I gave her a bottle of BM and she took like 50cc's which is almost 2 ounces of milk. She has such a weak suck it would never have come out of me, she falls asleep and uses all her energy just getting to the foremilk. I only pumped a few times after we got home to prevent engorgement and since she's not a good nurser my supply went way down. I'm still making enough for her at each feed, but I nurse her until she passes out and then give her a bottle to make sure she's full. Now with my other babies I'd wake them and keep nursing, but she's so tiny her body can't handle that and that's why she lost weight. This makes me so sad and feel just awful, but I need her to gain weight and not loose at this point.

Can I keep nursing in the beginning then bottle then pump until she gets bigger and then try to nurse ONLY once she's within a normal weigt and can keep her self warm (which we are still struggling with, she's wearing a onesie, sleeper, socks, hat and wrapped in 2-3 blankets JUST to keep around 98.1 because she has NO fat on her body) and all this combined is breaking me down. I even had to put her on my skin (which I would do anyway) to get her warm once because she was so cold according to the therm.

I have never had this problem after having a baby. I've never felt so useless and helpless, and I'm not sure why this is happening.

BTW, I put her in the Moby yesterday and she LOVED it, slept like a doll baby in it (since she's the size of my girls dolls LOL)

I never expect this to be easy, I know it's hard, but I want to breast feed my baby and NOT give her a bottle, why can't she just have the energy to nurse like she needs too. My others would fall asleep while nursing, but keep sucking so the milk would keep coming down, she falls asleep after a few minutes and her mouth just hangs open. I feel so broken

What do I do??? Help please???

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 AM

I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. I know it's such a bonding experience to be able to nurse. I had a quick thought...you know those devices that have tubes that you can attach to your breast? I'm sorry, I don't know what they're called off the top of my head, but I was thinking that it might be helpful for your little one to stay used to the breast while still getting the nourishment she needs until she gets bigger.

Whatever happens, whether she latches on and becomes a stronger nurser or you end up having to resort to a bottle, you have honest intentions of giving her the very best start. So give yourself some credit, rally as much support as you can around you and know that you're doing the best job you possibly can!

If I can find some more resources, I'll be sure to pass them along. My only other thought is to seek out a lactation consultant.

Remember to take care of you too! We can't be much to anyone if we don't pay attention to our own needs.
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alair View Post
I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. I know it's such a bonding experience to be able to nurse. I had a quick thought...you know those devices that have tubes that you can attach to your breast? I'm sorry, I don't know what they're called off the top of my head, but I was thinking that it might be helpful for your little one to stay used to the breast while still getting the nourishment she needs until she gets bigger.

Whatever happens, whether she latches on and becomes a stronger nurser or you end up having to resort to a bottle, you have honest intentions of giving her the very best start. So give yourself some credit, rally as much support as you can around you and know that you're doing the best job you possibly can!

If I can find some more resources, I'll be sure to pass them along. My only other thought is to seek out a lactation consultant.

Remember to take care of you too! We can't be much to anyone if we don't pay attention to our own needs.
I second this. =) Are they called "Supplemental nursing"?

Mama Tenk,
Have you seen a lactation consultant? I highly recommend it. My little one stopped pooping often (she only pooped ever 12-15 days when she was a newborn, starting after one week old until 5 months) so we went to see one. It's nice to know someone knows what they are talking about in terms of breastfeeding and how to help. (It has been my experience that even "bf supportive" doctors have no idea what they are talking about in regards to breastfeeding.) If you don't like the lactation consultant you visit first find another and keep it up until you find someone you like that can help you. Don't feel guilty, although it can be hard, keep trying. You can do it. I know I have felt like if something wasn't right I was being a bad mom but you are not... You are a great mother. We're here for you. =)

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page