Prozac conception, pregnancy, breastfeeding ?'s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this thread a while back.... and after much deliberation I finally started on Prozac. This is only my fifth day and I'm still only taking 10mg. I was prescribed 20mg after a week or so but if I continue to feel good I may just stay at 10mg. So far I really like it and its helping tremendously w/ my anxiety.

But I'd like to hear more about other women's experiences on Prozac: specifically conception, pregnancy and breastfeeding information and experiences.

Also, from what I understand Prozac is a "good" choice for pregnancy but not great for nursing (Zoloft is better).... as anyone made the switch from Prozac to Zoloft at the end of a pregnancy? Has anyone stayed on Prozac during their breastfeeding relationship?

anyhow, I think you all get my drift here : ) I just want to hear your Prozac stories...

Thanks ladies... i know this is forum for postpartum depression but I figured there might be a few of you here who have some experience w/ using antidepressants in any of the times mentioned above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM

I was on Prozac prior to conception of my first child, all through the pregnancy, deliver, nursing, etc. I didn't notice any ill effects on me or my son because of it. He was a preemie but it had nothing to do with the medication (water broke at 31 weeks because of an infection). I can't say if it made him sleepy or not because all he did was sleep in the NICU because of his prematurity, but even once we got him home he wasn't lethargic or anything. I didn't switch to Zoloft while nursing, and frankly no one suggested it to me. I actually just started back on it last week and plan on staying on it postpartum (who knows for how long, I have no set time frame in mind).

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#3 of 18 Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks callmemommy

would you mind sharing how many mg you were taking?
#4 of 18 Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I attended a conference by Dr. Hale this spring and his advice is that if a medication is working for a mom she should continue it. Zoloft appears in milk in lower levels than other antidepressants, but Prozac is the only one actually approved for use in pregnancy and breastfeeding. They are both fine choices, though. Studies that he cited showed no difference in outcomes in children whether mothers took antidepressants or not. If I needed it I would feel comfortable taking it through pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#5 of 18 Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

That's great to hear Kellyh! Thanks for adding to the info here...
#6 of 18 Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis View Post
thanks callmemommy

would you mind sharing how many mg you were taking?
I've always been on 20 mg.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#7 of 18 Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 AM

I took 20 mg Prozac during my first 2 pregnancies, birth and while bf with no issues. Later when DD was about 2 or 3 (still bf), I switched to Effexor since the Prozac was no longer helping me. When I got pg again, I started seeing a psychiatrist who recommended Prozac againi as Effexor is not the best choice during pregnancy or while bf an infant. So I started on 20 mg, went up to 40 mg during pregnancy, and recently went up to 60 mg to help with PPD (DD is 4 months now). I have not noticed any ill effects on any of my children, and in my case, having a mom who can function outweighed any side effect risks.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#8 of 18 Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks Jillmamma and callmemommy

I feel like w/ all the reading I've been doing and hearing personal stories, I'm feeling really confident in my decision to be on Prozac... while pregnant and/or breastfeeding. I really appreciate you ladies sharing your info. I hope it can help some other women too!
#9 of 18 Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got on Prozac during my pregnancy with dd2 at about 4 mos. and am still on it. My dosages have fluctuated from 10 mg - 30 mg. Dd2 was born perfectly wonderful, no problems whatsoever. And she is still nursing... no side effects in her at all.

I definitely agree with other posters that having a mom who can function and not want to jump off the bridge is a great reason to stay on the meds. That's why I'm still on. I'm also on Wellbutrin too.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#10 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

This is a great thread... I have been unmedicated for years but am hit with PPD pretty hard. Tried Zoloft but got a rash and the psychiatrist wants to try me on Paxil next... the trouble is, although I had good results with Paxil years ago, it made me incredibly drowsy, and since I have a 3 month old, I can't imagine dealing with that tiredness now. Right?
I had also been on Prozac long ago with good results and few side effects, but the psych is hesitant to prescribe them for me if I'm going to continue BFing without trying the others first. But it is ultimately my decision, and I fear messing around with Paxil, then going on to Celexa or Effexor or something else. Seems like a lot of potential for ups and downs and wasted time when I know the Prozac will likely make me feel better. But it's a tough decision.
#11 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
This is a great thread... I have been unmedicated for years but am hit with PPD pretty hard. Tried Zoloft but got a rash and the psychiatrist wants to try me on Paxil next... the trouble is, although I had good results with Paxil years ago, it made me incredibly drowsy, and since I have a 3 month old, I can't imagine dealing with that tiredness now. Right?
I had also been on Prozac long ago with good results and few side effects, but the psych is hesitant to prescribe them for me if I'm going to continue BFing without trying the others first. But it is ultimately my decision, and I fear messing around with Paxil, then going on to Celexa or Effexor or something else. Seems like a lot of potential for ups and downs and wasted time when I know the Prozac will likely make me feel better. But it's a tough decision.
What are her reasons for that? I would rather BF with Prozac or Lexapro than Paxil ! You can totally breastfeed with Prozac. You choose which med you think will work best for you, mama! If you don't want to take Paxil, you don't have to! Even if you have to find another doctor. Good luck mama! Let us know what happens.
#12 of 18 Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Thank you! After some soul seaching and talking with a friend, I think you're right. Trying Paxil just doesn't make sense and seems like a waste of time! So I emailed my primary care provider and he said:
"Prozac/ fluoxetine is not the antidepressant of choice during pregnancy, and post-partum there is a lack of evidence regarding it's effect in developing children of breastfeeding mothers. However, it's a relatively safe medication compared to most, and we do prescribe it to children as low as 7 years old without significant adverse effects. If you requested a prescription from me, I would probably caution you that you would be taking a very small but somewhat unknow risk but that I would agree with that option if you understood that choice. I have to agree with you on the paroxetine (paxil). It's well known for those side effects. "

So I'm feeling more hopeful about that...
#13 of 18 Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM

mama. Keep us posted and good luck!
#14 of 18 Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't take Prozac. I'm posting because my dd, Erica, does (I don't know her dosage). According to her (from Dr. Hale), Prozac in the dosage that she takes is ok'd for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. She has breastfed her dd until she self-weaned through Erica's 2nd pregnancy (she's due in Sept). Matilda (2 in Nov) has had no adverse effects from 2nd hand Prozac.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#15 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM

i  was on prozac 10 mg   in my pregnency  no side effects  i had normal baby normal delivery

but now when  i am  talking prozac while   breastfeeding  i see  side effects on my baby  she has trouble sleeping

she waks up almost evry hr . i am not sure if it is  side effect of prozac  or not .    did  any one els  experince that???

#16 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM

It very well could be the prozac.  I was on prozac from my third trimester on and what I thought was pregnancy itch turned out to be an allergic reaction to prozac.  Anyway, I would call your doctor right away.  Zoloft may be an option but if you suspect the prozac, honor that suspicion and talk to your doctor.  

It could also be an allergy.  A lot of people eliminate dairy or gluten, etc., and find that to be the source of the sleeping issue.  Good luck!

#17 of 18 Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 AM

thank u verry much  for  your helpful  reply  .  i will try ur  tips

#18 of 18 Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM

thank you verry much for your helpful   reply  . i well try  ur tips

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page