antidepressants and baby sleep patterns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you on an antidepressant, how many hours a night does your baby sleep? My 5 month old doesnt sleep through the night (sleeps from about 1am-5 am, then 6-8 am). so he sleeps about 7 hours at night but not straight through. he takes one or two short naps during the day. He seems restless at night. Im wondering if its related to the antidepressant im on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds very very typical for a 5 month old.

5 month olds don't sleep through the night, generally. Some bottle fed babies do, because formula is digested more slowly. But if you check out the nighttime parenting board here, you'll see a ton of parents with babies who wake every 2 hours. Your child's 4 hour stretches are great!!

I was on antidepressants with both my kids. One slept in 5 hour chunks. The other woke every 2 hours.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 5 Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM

I have been on antidepressants with all 3 of mine, and my first two did not sleep all night till close to age 2, but my third (who also happens to be 5 months) actually sleeps! She will go from like 8ish to 6ish! (Sorry, I am still absolutely flabbergasted that I have a kid that does this.) So in my case, no, the antidepressants don't seem to have an effect. I have been on Prozac with all 3 if that makes a difference.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM

My baby is quite a bit younger, but she sleeps fantastically at night...like 6-8 hours at a stretch...and not so well during the day, most days. Like twenty minutes here and there. I honestly never thought of there being any connection with my antidepressant...interesting...

What time of day do you take your antidepressant? At night? I take mine first thing in the am and I wonder if that's why she sleeps better at night?

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#5 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM

i think a 7 hour night is very short. DD (10 m/o) sleeps 11hr night interrrupted but still 7 hours is nothing...and she is a horrible sleeper from birth we are on one nap a day right now..

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page