hard time from my doctor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor is insisting that I wean my 10 month old so that I can take meds for PPD. He tried to tell me that there is no benefit anymore, besides he already got the colostrum

So he was actually reading to me from the CPS (medication info) book and all of the meds said not to take while nursing. He ended up prescribing me effexor and I told him I would talk things through with my husband and decide what to do but that I wouldn't wean cold turkey. He even argued that with me.

I plan on tlaking to my pharmacist but I must admit that I felt very threatened by this doctor. He kept asking me if I felt like hurting my baby or my husband, whch I don't. He asked me so many times though. I would really have to say that my PPD is very mild. He kept saying "we MUST treat this, but you cannot be nursing". I guess i'm just worried about children's aid or something.

So why did all the info in the CPS book say not to take these drugs? Are they acutally safe? Is there one that is safest?

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#2 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Have you tried checking Dr. Hale's website? In most instances, there are breastfeeding compatible medications available to substitute.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 PM

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/d...s&access=guest

The true go-to book is Dr.Hales Milk and Medication. It might be worth it to check out the forum and see what your doctor has prescribed to you that would fit best. The next time you see him, tell him about the book and the forum(it includes a forum specifically for physicians).
Good luck Definitely talk to your pharmacist and while you are at it, there is a website to rate your md

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#4 of 22 Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 PM

i read somewhere that breastfeeding hormones help ward off ppd. so if you wean it could get worse. as far as stuff you can take while nursing. look up kellymom.com. they goot a whole page of stuff.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 AM

Contact a LLL leader and she if they have a doc in the are who is a LLL liaison doc and switch to them. I would simply find a new doc who is willing to go by Dr. Hale's wonderful site and info and quickly fill out a record request form to have your chart fax'd to a new doc. This guy sounds stupid and dangerous to you. If he is already into CPS book, his next step could be calling on you. Move quickly to get out from under his care!
#6 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 AM

It sounds like you need to see someone who specializes in PPD, AND someone who is supportive of breastfeeding. Is this your family doctor? A psychiatrist? Generally psychiatrists are better up on the meds and which ones are good for breastfeeding.

There are many forms of PPD, and it sounds like your doctor doesn't have a clue. Many of the contraindicated medicines are because they simply don't have enough data. SSRIs as a class are very well researched for breastfeeding.

If you contact your local Postpartum Support International (see the sticky on the first page), they may be able to recommend a good doctor to you.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#7 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 AM

Lots of women (including myself) have taken anti-depressants while nursing. Like PPs have said, Dr. Hale's is a good resource.

This doctor sounds ill-informed, hostile, and disrespectful towards you. I would find a new provider.
#8 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM

i would find a new doctor too. he sounds like he would be one of those doctors who would power trip bc he thinks he knows better than you.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#9 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Your doctor is WRONG!!!! Please find another doctor...particularly a psychiatrist that specializes in postpartum depression.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#10 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM

The CPS sucks for recommendations for nursing. It says not recommended for almost all the drugs because the drugs were never tested in nursing mothers. It's a total CYA thing for them. No doc should ever use the CPS to find out about medication for nursing mothers! Hale's is the book to go to.
Sorry you are going through this on top of PPD. And to you Mama Lion for protecting your baby from unnecessary early weaning!

ps As you are in Ontario, you may be able to get advice from Dr Jack Newman by email, and perhaps your family doc would listen to that?
#11 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM

ITA with what everybody has said here. I had PPD after #1 and took Zolft while breastfeeding, which was ENCOURAGED by my therapist, OB, and even my pediatrician. My son is 2.5 and a super-happy, perfectly healthy guy.
The only time PPD would indicate a need to stop BFing, IMO, would be if Mom tries several BF safe meds and continues to deteriorate, and requires stronger meds than are compatible with BFing, which is certainly NOT your case. This Doctor has no business pressuring you to give up breastfeeding.
I would quickly find another doctor who supports breastfeeding!!
#12 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The others are right, you absolutely don't need to wean in order to treat ppd.

If your ppd is mild, though, I would advise trying more natural treatment methods before you try a drug. There are lots of threads on this forum about various non-drug treatment methods. Various supplements, exercise, light therapy, getting more rest, etc.--there are lots of options. If they don't work, or if you need something to kick in right away, I say use the pharmaceuticals. I took Zoloft for about 9 months with my 1st episode of ppd, breastfeeding the whole time, and my baby is now 4 years old and doing just fine.
#13 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM

GET A NEW DOCTOR!!! He is grossly misinformed. I took zoloft while pregnant AND nursing, with blessings from my OB, pediatrician, and psychiatrist. This doctor has no clue.

Get a referral to a good pdoc and go for an appt. It will be well worth it.

That said, I would NOT take Effexor if an ssri like zoloft would help.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#14 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM

I took Celexa while pregnant and while nursing. It is fine. Find a new Dr. ASAP.

As for the "do not take while pg and nursing" almost everything says that. I have bottle of B Vitamins that say not to take while pregnant and nursing. It's more of a CYA type statement than anything else.

I agree with PP's, check Hales and Kellymom and contact your LLL.

((((hugs))))

Hang in there! I've had PPD twice and it does get better!

Happy Hippie Homeschoolin' AP Mama to DD8, DS6 and DS3 born via UC into his daddy's arms!
#15 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Could you talk to DS's ped?

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#16 of 22 Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. I have put the meds on hold for now until I get this sorted out.

Just one thing though. I don't mean to be rude but to everyone telling me that they would get a new doctor or to please get a new doctor, I live in rural Northern Ontario and it took me 6 years to get the one I have now. If it were that easy, I would have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i read somewhere that breastfeeding hormones help ward off ppd. so if you wean it could get worse. as far as stuff you can take while nursing. look up kellymom.com. they goot a whole page of stuff.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html
I completely forgot about this but i've read it too. Makes absolutely zero sense to wean now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
It sounds like you need to see someone who specializes in PPD, AND someone who is supportive of breastfeeding. Is this your family doctor? A psychiatrist? Generally psychiatrists are better up on the meds and which ones are good for breastfeeding.

There are many forms of PPD, and it sounds like your doctor doesn't have a clue. Many of the contraindicated medicines are because they simply don't have enough data. SSRIs as a class are very well researched for breastfeeding.

If you contact your local Postpartum Support International (see the sticky on the first page), they may be able to recommend a good doctor to you.
This is my family doctor. Thank you, I will look into these options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
The CPS sucks for recommendations for nursing. It says not recommended for almost all the drugs because the drugs were never tested in nursing mothers. It's a total CYA thing for them. No doc should ever use the CPS to find out about medication for nursing mothers! Hale's is the book to go to.
Sorry you are going through this on top of PPD. And to you Mama Lion for protecting your baby from unnecessary early weaning!

ps As you are in Ontario, you may be able to get advice from Dr Jack Newman by email, and perhaps your family doc would listen to that?
I'm going to email him this afternoon. Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
GET A NEW DOCTOR!!! He is grossly misinformed. I took zoloft while pregnant AND nursing, with blessings from my OB, pediatrician, and psychiatrist. This doctor has no clue.

Get a referral to a good pdoc and go for an appt. It will be well worth it.

That said, I would NOT take Effexor if an ssri like zoloft would help.
Why not Effexor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
Could you talk to DS's ped?
My DS does not have a ped. Around here only children with health issues see peds.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
#17 of 22 Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 AM

Hi Mama. Sorry you are going through this. During my first pregnancy I was on Effexor but went down to lowest dose possible (37.5mg) XR until I had Ds1. I nursed for just 2 weeks shy of 2 years with him. During that time, I had to alter my Effexor several times. Up, down, down more, up again, etc. He had no real effects.

Since I had quite a big PPD issue after a traumatizing first birth, I decided with my DS2 (born in March)-would remain on 150mg during my pregnancy. I have a lovely almost 6 month old and still take 150mg a day nursing. He has had no obvious signs either.

Both are important-nutrition for babe, and relief from PPD or depression in general. My life, and my kids, and my experience with my second son is so completely different (wonderful) now that I am emotionally feeling okay...and not soo low I couldn't even just love my baby (first time).

If you want to msg me and chat about Effexor, feel free. Dr Newman has some info out there stating that some meds in breastmilk is much better than not nursing at all.

I understand the anxiety with it-start pumping once or twice a day for storage if you can to supplement babe if you need to while trying out the meds-It might help ease your mind in thinking babe is getting meds.

I have the same concern about some meds-I can't take my ADHD meds, and I have been "dealing with" serious attention issues, etc so I nurse my babe. It is much more deeper and important for me to continue nursing.

Keep in mind if you start Effexor gradually, like 37.5 for a few days or more (5-7?) and then go up little by little....it might not be such a sudden thing. Try to get your pills filled in 37.5 mg capsules. You will take more capsules at once but this way you can ensure you are ready to go up when needing to-instead of forcing a bigger jump to 75mg, or more. Not sure if that makes sense???
#18 of 22 Old 09-18-2010, 04:05 AM

I can assume that a previous poster said that Not effexor when other drugs such as SSRI's like Zoloft are available because there might have been more research, data available on contraindications. SSNI's I think are relatively new (compared to ssri's) and might not know so much yet.
#19 of 22 Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 AM

op, how are you doing?

nak
#20 of 22 Old 09-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Effexor is a different kind of drug than an ssri and ssri's are the very safest to take while nursing. This doctor is all over the place with bad advice... first weaning, then prescribing Effexor, then telling you to wean cold turkey, telling you there is no benefit to continuing nursing because your baby has "already gotten colostrum." He's wrong on all counts. Please talk to a pharmacist and maybe try to get a referral from your doctor to a psychiatrist. Please.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#21 of 22 Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Perhaps Dr Newman could help write a letter to him, his office.
#22 of 22 Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
Hi Mama. Sorry you are going through this. During my first pregnancy I was on Effexor but went down to lowest dose possible (37.5mg) XR until I had Ds1. I nursed for just 2 weeks shy of 2 years with him. During that time, I had to alter my Effexor several times. Up, down, down more, up again, etc. He had no real effects.

Since I had quite a big PPD issue after a traumatizing first birth, I decided with my DS2 (born in March)-would remain on 150mg during my pregnancy. I have a lovely almost 6 month old and still take 150mg a day nursing. He has had no obvious signs either.

Both are important-nutrition for babe, and relief from PPD or depression in general. My life, and my kids, and my experience with my second son is so completely different (wonderful) now that I am emotionally feeling okay...and not soo low I couldn't even just love my baby (first time).

If you want to msg me and chat about Effexor, feel free. Dr Newman has some info out there stating that some meds in breastmilk is much better than not nursing at all.

I understand the anxiety with it-start pumping once or twice a day for storage if you can to supplement babe if you need to while trying out the meds-It might help ease your mind in thinking babe is getting meds.

I have the same concern about some meds-I can't take my ADHD meds, and I have been "dealing with" serious attention issues, etc so I nurse my babe. It is much more deeper and important for me to continue nursing.

Keep in mind if you start Effexor gradually, like 37.5 for a few days or more (5-7?) and then go up little by little....it might not be such a sudden thing. Try to get your pills filled in 37.5 mg capsules. You will take more capsules at once but this way you can ensure you are ready to go up when needing to-instead of forcing a bigger jump to 75mg, or more. Not sure if that makes sense???
Thank you for all the info. Unfortunately, my doctor refused to write me anymore prescriptions when I refused to wean my baby Good think I didn't start taking them.
Quote:
I can assume that a previous poster said that Not effexor when other drugs such as SSRI's like Zoloft are available because there might have been more research, data available on contraindications. SSNI's I think are relatively new (compared to ssri's) and might not know so much yet.
Thank you. I didn't realize it was a different kind of drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
op, how are you doing?

nak
Thank yo for asking. I am feeling sooooo much better. Definitely not 100% but being more aware of the situation now helps. I know now why I feel/act the way I do sometimes so it is easier to control. My husband's shifts at workd also changed so he is around A LOT more () and got a pretty signifigant raise and there were some other positive changes that I won't even say out loud for fear of jinxing them. LOL

The one thing though is guilt. I feel like I wasted my DC's babyhoods. And since my main symptom was anger I can't even count the number of times I lost my temper with DS1. I feel so ill over it and so much guilt I also wonder if I messed my kids up forever when I hear/read about all the negatives effects PPD can have on kids....these are such defining years for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Effexor is a different kind of drug than an ssri and ssri's are the very safest to take while nursing. This doctor is all over the place with bad advice... first weaning, then prescribing Effexor, then telling you to wean cold turkey, telling you there is no benefit to continuing nursing because your baby has "already gotten colostrum." He's wrong on all counts. Please talk to a pharmacist and maybe try to get a referral from your doctor to a psychiatrist. Please.
I talked to my pharmacist who also told me not to take these meds while nursing. And my family doctor will only make me an appt with the social worer at their office, who i've already seen before and it was terrible. She also told me to wean my 9 month old DS

Quote:
Perhaps Dr Newman could help write a letter to him, his office.
I emailed Dr. Newman and he sent me some info that I read and made me decide to go back to my doctor and ask for Zoloft instead. But the info Dr Newman gave me was just his opinion and that wasn't good enough for my doctor and he refused to prescribe me anything. I emailed Dr Newman back an told him that my doctor refused but he never emailed me back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page