Mothering Forum banner

Why not Prozac?

911 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BellaClaudia 
#1 ·
Is Prozac not ok to use while breastfeeding? Feeling depression creeping in and I've taken only Prozac in the past. Not good if breastfeeding?

#2 ·
I'm taking it for the third time while breastfeeding (and my kids nurse 4+ years), and have noticed no ill effects at all on my children. For me, the benefits to being able to function well as a mom outweighed any risks.

#3 ·
It's not the 'drug of choice' because apparently a small amount gets through to the breastmilk (very very small, and I don't think any was measured in the infants' blood stream), but lots of nursing moms have been on it. And their kids are now in their their teens and 20s with no ill effects reported.

You might want to try one of the 'newer' SSRIs (Zoloft is the first drug of choice now), but if that's not an option and you know that Prozac works for you, it's better than being severely depressed.

#4 ·
Well, I have leftover Prozac from during pregnancy....my insurance ends in one month and I've been dealing with depression throughout the pregnancy without taking meds and now that baby is born, I'm thinking about starting to medicate again. I know Prozac works for me, but I'm breastfeeding and I breastfed my twins until over 4 years old....I know I can't wait 4 years to treat my depression. There's a community help center nearby that I've heard offers free counseling, so I will try that first. Thanks for the info.

#5 ·
I think that the small, unknown risks of taking Prozac are much less than the large, known risks of being depressed and untreated.

Because Prozac is a generic, you can often get it cheaply through pharmacies, even without insurance. (I think it's on the $5 a month deal for a number of pharmacies.) There are also programs to help people without insurance. Be sure to ask the clinic that.

Good luck and I hope that things are looking up soon!

#6 ·
There is really great connection between depression and iron deficiency ..
making b milk does that to you and especially if you had C your iron might be really low and getting lower...

drinking fresh fruit smootie (no ice) every morning (just cup of water, handful of strawberries blueberries and rapbsperries or what at hand..
blended mmmmmmmmmmm..

and once a week organic gras fed beef liver ... mmmmm..

there is no iron source that is easier assimilated, and faster then this.
does miracles to you.

you might try this for a month or so and differnce is amazing.
even after one week

ps don't do cows milk around eating anything like fruits or meet
within few hours as this will slow or impair altoghether iron absorption
as milk nixes iron..

good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.