Help! Hair loss - 5/6 months post natal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I feel like I've lost at least 1/2 - if not more! - of my hair in the last month (my baby just turned 6 months). Handfuls and handfuls are coming out.

I know that losing hair is common post natal, but please tell me it will grow back thicker again. Is there anything I can do minimize even more hair falling out or better yet, help it to grow back??

Oddly enough, I didn't experience this with my first baby - although, the two pregnancies/post natal have been different altogether. I'm not sure how it's related, but I'm breast feeding my son (granted, I was BF my first born when she was 6 months any beyond too and I didn't lose hair like this).

Help! I need words of encouragement please.

Thank you. xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Sorry - forum crashing here but saw your post on the main page! I lost major amounts of hair from about 6 months through a year post partum. I had to take the handfuls of hair and stick them to the shower wall because the drain would get so clogged. I had heard that hair loss was pretty normal so I didn't worry too much. I have friends that have said it varied from one child to the next.

Now at 2 years post partum, my hair is as thick as it always has been. I can't tell a difference at all. I hope this helps to ease your mind. I think if you get really concerned, you can always check with a doctor.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Have your thyroid checked. Some women become hypothyroid even up to one year after delivery. Also, sometimes it presents as an initial hyperthyroid condition that over time b/cms hypothyroid; look up "postpartum thyroiditis" on the net, do a search w/ "hair loss" and you'll see that some women have this experience.

Other than that, hair loss months after pregnancy can be very normal. I believe one reason is b/c during pregnancy, we tend to not shed our typical amount of hair; thus, a pregnant woman's hair can appear especially thick and lush. Happened to me, and unfortunately my hair did not grow back in a thicker manner after the postpartum shedding phase.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM

My dd is 5 months and I'm losing a lot of hair suddenly it seems. I lost none like this with ds. I think it is normal unless you see very visible thinning or have bald patches starting.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 PM

I lost all my hair and was diagnosed with alopecia after my emergency c section with my first child. I think it was triggered by PTSD? Anyways that was in 2003 and I'm still bald. In fact I am hairless. No hair anywhere. It's not the end of the world. I hide it well. I hope you don't have to go through what I went through. I also have hypothyroid too.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM

I agree with the thyroid testing- that was my first thought when I read your thread. Hairloss is a big signal of thyroid issues. Are your fingernails ridged or smooth? Ridged means thyroid as well.
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
all my best~

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 PM

Yep, thyroid was exactly what I thought when I read the title.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 AM

I'd say also keep taking iron pills. Mine started falling out at 5 mo also and a doctor (OB/GYN) that I work with suggested that and it helped right away. ITA with having your thyroid checked also. s:

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 AM

I am experiencing the same and my DS is 8 mo. Although I haven't worried too much (yet) because I started to lose my hair at 3 mo post-partum with DD, so when 3 months rolled around this time, I expected it. Although I must admit that my hair loss this time is much more dramatic and seems to be going on for a longer period. Maybe the PP are onto something with the thyroid suggestion.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Sheesh, when I read it, I said normal, normal, normal! Several of my friends and I experienced massive hair loss in months 3-6 post-partum. Massive to the point of thinning hairlines & baldish patches. It all grew back for all of us. I know that, for me, I barely lose any hair at all when pregnant, so it all falls out pp. I am almost six months pp & it slowed way down during month five & the really really thin parts in front have started to grow back.

Having your thyroid checked pp is never a bad idea, tho.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

User Tag List