How to switch medication, keep breastfeeding and TTC for another - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had severe PND after the birth of my daughter and have been on Paxil(paroxetine) ever since. It is the safest SSRI for use during breastfeeding but is not safe during pregnancy. I am still breastfeeding my daughter but am thinking about TTC during next year. However to do that I need to change medication to citalopram. However, as she has not been exposed to that before I may have to wean. I really don't see her being ready any time soon and would like to avoid it if possible as we cosleep and she is still very keen to bf.

I have just done some research on paroxetine and it is one of the hardest SSRIs to discontinue and I feel so much better, even than before the PND that I think I need to continue on some form of SSRI. So I am feeling really worried about the whole thing and what to do.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what did you do?

I am hoping to see my family doctor next week about it but I am concerned she will push me to wean. I want to make sure I am well informed before I see her. I don't want my daughter to suffer for the sake of TTC.

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Me, DH and DD born 6/24/09

neg.gifDue July 2012

#2 of 4 Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 PM

do you have a psychiatrist? they are really the most knowledgeable about how to do these transitions smoothly. Personally i wouldn't take the advice of a family doctor when it comes to psychiatric medications.

I have switched from zoloft to citalopram with no problems... just quit taking zoloft, and started the citalopram as directed by me psychiatrist. it was fine. i believe the general concensus is that zoloft is the safest med to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

#3 of 4 Old 11-20-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts. I just talked to a friend who is a pharmacist. She suggested I get back in touch with the psychiatrist who I saw when I was under the maternal mental health service. I was discharged from them in November last year. Hopefully they will be happy to see me again.

neg.gifDue July 2012

#4 of 4 Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update to say that the psychiatrist can't see me as the service will only help you until your child is a year old. So back to the family doctor. I gave her a heads up about what I wanted to discuss adn she has given me a double appointment so hopefully we can put together a plan for me.

neg.gifDue July 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page