PPD over a period of years? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been pregnant as follows

Nov 2004-July 2005 (resulted in stillbirth at 35w3d)

Mar 07-Nov 07 (healthy baby girl)

Sept 08-Nov 08 (miscarriage at 11 weeks)

Feb 09-Nov 09 (healthy baby boy)

sept/Oct 10-present (currently approx 8 weeks)

I have had a history of depression my whole life.. I first recognized it around age 8, but this past approx 6 years I have been feeling so bad, I want to check myself into a hospital.  I have feelings of being OK, usually around the time I go to therapy (it figures).. but a few days later I am back to feeling lethargic, anxious, sad... antidepressants seem to work for a while but then I just start feeling awful again.  Could I be in the midst of a 6-year bout with PPD?  did my hormones just never go back to normal?  Or is this just part of regular depression? 

I am so tired of feeling like this!  Thanks for any help.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Anything is possible.....after reading your pregnancy history I don't think your hormones have ever had time to adjust.  You have had a lot of ups and downs with your pregnancies.  I hope the latest one will go well for you.  So sorry to read about the ones that didn't.

April 29, 2007 I gave birth to a happy and healthy baby girl.  After a 12 hour long labor and delivery I ended up having 4th degree tears 3.5 inches into my bowel which resulted in my having to have surgery.  I got to hold her for all of about 3 minutes before they took me into the OR.

I to have a history of depression and went through horrible PPD afterward.  The thoughts I was having about my daughter scared the %^& out of me.  It was horrible!  I have been on and off medication, and right now feel better being off of it.  I've never felt more alive.  You have to try different things to find what works for you.

I just recently lost two pregnancies in the first trimester.  What a horrible thing to experience, but I feel as though I will pull through it all.....

I wish you all the best with everything and if ever you want to chat feel free to drop me a line.  It sounds like we have a lot in common.

Take care.  

By the way, it sometimes takes a while to find the right medication that works for you.  Hope you feel better soon.

Keep your chin up and remember there are others dealing with similar situations too.

#3 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM

A couple years ago I asked my mom if she ever had PPD and she said "I still do!" (14 years after her youngest was born!)

In Eastern medicine, the time that is the most sensitive is after childbirth jsut because of the huge amount of exertion and blood loss etc and they call that state 'blood deficiency'...The more pregnancies/postpartum periods you've had without "building up the blood", the more likely you are to feel weak and unhealthy.

So, yes, I'd definitely believe that you have some health issues going on that never got resolved really.  I'd look into Traditional Chinese medicine locally and have a diagnosis from them and some herbs that will help build up your system.

hth!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Traditional Chinese Medicine is an excellent idea!  I did acupuncture years ago and really benefited from it, so I'm surprised that I didn't consider it for my own PPD!  It's too bad that it isn't more affordable, though. 

OP, the perinatal losses that you've experienced obviously don't help.  greensad.gif  Your hormones really haven't had a "break" these past few years, so your explanation is a likely one.  Either way, it obviously needs attention, and I hope you get the kind that you need.  hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post

A couple years ago I asked my mom if she ever had PPD and she said "I still do!" (14 years after her youngest was born!)

In Eastern medicine, the time that is the most sensitive is after childbirth jsut because of the huge amount of exertion and blood loss etc and they call that state 'blood deficiency'...The more pregnancies/postpartum periods you've had without "building up the blood", the more likely you are to feel weak and unhealthy.

So, yes, I'd definitely believe that you have some health issues going on that never got resolved really.  I'd look into Traditional Chinese medicine locally and have a diagnosis from them and some herbs that will help build up your system.

hth!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page