Past Infidelity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I have a friend that is suffering from severe post partum depression.  She says since having her baby a few months ago, she continues to experience shame and guilt over a one night stand she had a few years ago while married but separated from her husband and also some unfaithfulness prior to the marriage (both parties). She feels very bad about these past mistakes but the marriage seems ok now and they have a baby. Should she confess to her husband whom has been known to have a violent and abusive temper in the past or try to forget it and move on? 

#2 of 5 Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 PM

My first thought was around what's her intention in 'confessing'? Is it to get something out and hopefully lighten some of the guilt or is it more about setting a clear and honest tone for their relationship and child to witness? Is it in hopes that is will make the depression go away?  maybe try therapy as a way to process the feelings she's having before taking the route of 'confessing'. I'm not saying something like that should be swept under the rug, but I'd just look a little deeper at the reason behind wanting to confront it now. When I hear severe postpartum depression and a partner who has a history of being abusive in the same paragraph, I would totally recommend building and finding a support system asap. Is there an option for a therapist? I would explore the depression and see if I could get some help there first and get grounded and strong before bringing something pretty big up like that in a relationship. 

I'm not sure if that helps, but its just my first thoughts on it.

#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

omamasmama,

The reasons for wanting to confess are all of the above.  The thing about the husbad is he has gotten way too violent in the past to even go there.  Not beating her, but things like smashing things, pushing, driving the car fast, yelling.  Hes not violent or abusive currently but surely if she told him about the past, he may be.

She wants to go to a therapists but worries they may call social services and take baby away.    Is that a possibility?

#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM

I don't know enough about the details of the situation or the laws where this mama lives to say yes they will or won't do anything with the baby. My understanding with therapists is that they can only legally inform someone if the client (in this case the mother) is a threat to herself or someone else. Again, I'm no expert on this. I really think finding someone to help is key here. Even calling therapists anonymously to get a feel for them would be a start. I'm hoping some other mamas offer some advice here too.

#5 of 5 Old 12-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu123 View Post

omamasmama,

The reasons for wanting to confess are all of the above.  The thing about the husbad is he has gotten way too violent in the past to even go there.  Not beating her, but things like smashing things, pushing, driving the car fast, yelling.  Hes not violent or abusive currently but surely if she told him about the past, he may be.

She wants to go to a therapists but worries they may call social services and take baby away.    Is that a possibility?

That is abuse, though.  Why would social services take the baby away?  Because the situation at home is volatile?  

I agree to call a therapist anonymously first if that makes her feel a little more secure.  Whatever she needs to do, OK?  To get her life back.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page