Inositol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone,

I have been suffering from PPD since the birth of my second a month ago. I have a lot of anxiety, racing thoughts, panic attacks,etc., all of which have led to depression. I was reading an old thread on this forum about Inositol as being a possible alternative natural treatment to medication. I spoke with my doctor who gave me the green light and have been taking it for 5 days now. I was wondering if anyone is still taking it and if so I had a few questions. I had been feeling a lot better all week (no panic attacks and a happier outlook) - not perfect but a lot better than I have been feeling. I am taking 1/2 the recommended dosage which ends up being 6 g. (my doctor advised 12) and was going to see how that worked and then up it if necessary. Tonight, however I feel back down in the dumps and now I am wondering if my brighter spirits were just a fluke and maybe the Inositol ian't working or I'm not takig enough. For those of you taking it - how log did it take to work? Also, have you felt ups and downs while on it? TIA!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and just welcomed DD2 (11/10)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM

I have been on a couple of anti-depressants (not zoloft), but have found the most relief from a natural supplement called Inositol.....it is amazing and found naturally in the body.  It has been studied for depression and is also beneficial for a host of other health issues (eye health, hair, cholesterol, etc).  In addition, a clinical double-blind study was done that proved that inositol worked as well as or better than fluvoxetine (Luvox for OCD, depression).  I've been taking it for approximately 2 weeks and the difference in my mood swings, racing thoughts, anxiety and demeanor has been amazing (it works on desensitization of the serotonin receptors in brain, so the receptors work better).  Costs about $8-10 per bottle of 100 tablets at health food stores......I take 500 mg. 2 x a day and it has been proven safe at doses up to 14 mg. per day (that's a lot!).  But again, an amount equivalent to about 1 - 2 grams is very sufficient for relief and I STRONGLY recommend giving it a try!!

I am a health care professional, however, not a doctor....just check with your MD.  I know many women who have tried it as an adjunct to their current medication, eventually weaning down their pharmaceutical dosage. Best of luck!

#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, ladies. I'll be looking into this for myself.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I am actually taking 12g (a ton!) at the advisement of my pcp - that is the therapeutic dose for depression. My pcp felt comfortable w/me taking it while nursing because it is a substance already found in breastmilk and they also give it to premature babies to help w/ respiration. I have noticed a positive difference after 3 wks, but have to say that I'm not where I want to be. The depression has eased, but the anxiouus feeling anf fear still lingers - though not as pronouced as before. I'm beginning to worry that this will be my new normal. I guess I still have the zoloft option...we'll see. I am curious how others are findig there moods after taking inositol and also how long you plan to take it. Thanks!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and just welcomed DD2 (11/10)!
#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 PM

The inositol has made a HUGE difference for me and it's so significant that I'm wondering where this supplement has been all of my life!  Everyone's physiology is different, but after being on various mood pharmaceuticals for the last decade, the effects of inositol have been amazing.  Not only am I less moody, but I also don't have the "gloom and doom" mentality that I've had for so long in my life.  For years, my thoughts would create anxiety and fear that was paralyzing at times and it was that fear that kept me from moving forward and getting "un-stuck" from my life circumstances at the time. Now I'm much more clear-headed and less worried about decisions, uncontrollable things, etc.  In fact, my 18 year old is now taking it as a college student and is getting great mood results (less argumentative, less mouthy(!), more upbeat). I'm happy about that because I don't want him to manage his mood with alcohol, etc. as many young adults do.  If you are currently trying inositol, don't give up - it will very likely continue to help you. (I only take one gram daily and can tell when it's wearing off).

Also, be sure you are getting enough magnesium intake because that is the calming mineral. I had noise sensitivities for years (loud t.v., music, etc. would make me irritable and snappish).  The experts say that most people who have those sensitivities (sensory issues) are low in magnesium!  And, for anyone who may be considering trying inositol, give it a try....you might really be surprised at the results.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page