Anyone else tried medicine and still depressed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ive tried two different antidepressants.  First zoloft , then paxil and im still depressed.  My baby is a year old and ive been taking the paxil for six months.

Every day I wake up with a knot in my stomach and have diahrrea.  Im nervous all the time.

#2 of 4 Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Antidepressants did not do much for me other than give me terrible side effects. Anti anxiety medication and therapy helped a lot. I didn't start taking the medication (Klonopin) until my baby was weaned though and I'm not sure that it is okay with breastfeeding.

There is a book that helped me understand my anxiety tremendously.

http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Help-Your-Nerves-Signet/dp/0451167228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293911858&sr=8-1

The book is as good as the reviews say. It really put a lot of stuff into perspective for me. I hope you can find some relief. I know how awful it is to feel that knot in the stomach every day. :(

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 01-02-2011, 02:18 AM

It's trial and error, sometimes you have to try many before you find the one that works best for you. Since both Zoloft and Paxil are SSRI's, you could try another class of antidepressant. It can be frustrating at the beginning. I would discuss you diarrhea & other side-effects, and the prescriber will probably have suggestions for alternate choices of medication.

#4 of 4 Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Sometimes you need a combination to work, sometimes you need time to work..etc.  I can completely relate to the knot in the stomach feelings...ugh.  It is such a bitch to have anxiety like that BUT I am living proof that you can get through it.  I suggest considering a low dose benzo while you are waiting for the ssri to take affect.  I'm pretty sure there are several that are ok to take breastfeeding.  I personally ended up taking three lexapro, buspar, and trazedone.  The combination really helped me get through the intense anxiety and feel normal.  My pdoc says it's usually normal to have patients trial and error with several medications.  Also, it usually takes 6-8 weeks for the ssri's to kick in and you may consider gradually increasing the dose.  If you are having an increased anxiety reaction to the meds, you may try lowering the dose and just taking it slowly. 

Since you have been on paxil for six months, I would make an appointment asap, and explain that you are really tired of suffering through this and want the doc to be a bit more proactive. 

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page