How Did You BEAT Depression? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been batteling with depression since the birth of my son 8 years ago.  At the time I was diagnosed with PPD.  I was treated for it and after a couple of years with the right combination of doctors and medication, I was depression free. 

Then.....came baby number 2!!!!  Again, with the PPD.  In addition, when I was 9months pregnant, I get a call from my Mom telling me she has Colon Cancer.  No wonder I have PPD again right!!  Mix in a little mastitis on both breast, my daughter spitting up blood, and a Mom many miles away undergoing chemo who hasn't yet met my baby.  

Fast forward almost 2 months and I get a call telling me to get an emergency flight from South Carolina to New Hampshire b/c my Mom is in renal failure and they don't know how much longer she has.  We get to NH the next morning and my Mom gets to meet my 4 week old baby girl.  Unfortunately, my Mom doesn't make it. 

It took me 3 years to accept my Moms dying.  I still miss her, but at least now I can cope.  Unfortunately again,  PPD has somehow stayed with me.  I think I now have generalized depression.  My baby girl is now almost 4 and depression is still going strong.

For all of you out there who have BEATEN your depression, PLEASE tell me what worked for you, tell me how you did it!!  I would really LOVE to know!  Thanks!!!!

(Queen of the Meadow, thankyou for your feedback, it was REALLY helpful to me)

#2 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM

This may or may not be germane to you, but as someone with major depression and now, bipolar II, what has helped me the most (aside from medication) is laying down my "fighting depression" attitude--depression is part of my life, and always will be. It's not going to go away; I can't "beat" it. I acknowledge its presence with neutrality, I accept that its there, and I move on. Because I'm not "fighting" it, I don't get sucked into the shame spiral of what happens when there are bad days, etc.
#3 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I don't know if you can ever really beat it once you've had it. It does make it easier to recognize and deal with. I've had depression since my teen years.
I just struggle with SAD, which is no surprise in Canadian winters. When I feel it coming I try to get outside for exercise. We've been -20 C and below for 10 days straight. When that happens I have to excercise inside. For me this is the #1 thing that makes life bearable.
#2 is hormonal birth control. I was on depo-provera for a long time and I ended up in a terrible place. I got pregnant with an IUD, so i'm on the pill right now.
Self-care in the middle of depression is important. Getting dressed everyday, having a shower, eating meals and snacks and not just cookies and for me my biggest piece of self-care is being creative. If I don't write or craft something daily, i don't feel complete.

Make a list of little things that make you happy so when everything is falling apart you can take 10-15 minutes and get a small piece of happiness, For me it's a hot chocolate or hanging out on here or reading a romance novel or watching a movie. These are the things we might label "guilty pleasures", but we shouldn't feel guilty about doing the little things that make us happy.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#4 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM

I am someone who beat depression. There are many routes, one of which is medication, if you so choose. I personally did not, but came close many many times. I was on meds in highschool and this is lifetime depression I'm talking about.

Eastern medicine traditions and cultures treat the postpartum period differently than they do in this part of the world. There is a lot of wisdom there, and lots of things you can do under the care of a practitioner, herbs, bodywork, supplements, etc.

For the emotional side of it, I found EFT to be extremely helpful as well as counselling with a focus on the 'root problem' and inner child work.

Hope this sparks some ideas for you.

PM me if you want to chat. *hugs*

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#5 of 8 Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

What is EFT, and where can I find your blog?

#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Eft is Emotional Freedom Technique. It's a combination of acupressure and psychotherapy techniques that release the negative charge from past or current emotional issus.

The blog's in my profile hun.

Hth!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#7 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM

Spent time with your family or friend, start a walking program, eat lot more fruit and vegitable, sleep is also important get proper sleep, hear your favourite music.

#8 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM

I have found that returning to things you used to enjoy is extremely helpful. For me, it was playing an instrument again after almost 15 years, and joining a musical ensemble. I met new people and there's an enormous sense of accomplishment that made me really happy.

And yes to self-care. Do things that are good for you. Plan to have time for those things every day/week, and don't let anything stop you from doing them.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page