PPD & Back to Work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone :)

Great community here, I love the info and support this forum seems to have :)

I was diagnosed with PPD a couple of months ago.  My doc put me on wellbutrin & another pill that I can never remember the name of (Mithra-something.... too lazy to go check the bottle lol..).  Anyway, the meds seemed to be helping me at first.  Then I had to go back to work and it seems my PPD may have taken a toll for the worse. 

Has anybody else experience this?

In addition to separating from the little one, my work is crazy and very stressful, and now I feel like I've been backsliding as far as my PPD is concerned.  I feel hopelessly depressed and I just want to walk in and quit my job, I feel so miserable and I see no way out of this, I feel trapped.

I'm wondering if I should call the doc and have him up my dosage as far as the meds are concerned? Or is this something that'll pass & things will one day look brighter?

I'm just seeing if anybody else has had this experience after going back to work & how they coped.  I've been discussing possibly working from home with my boss, but I was only met with "sounds reasonable, but I can't promise anything".  Also, despite promises of "easing me back into things" .... well... I'm up to my eyeballs already, so that obviously didn't work as planned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM

I feel your pain.  I had intended to be a stay-home-mama and my husband would work.  However, due to an unexpected turn of events, we now own our own restaurant.  So I'm up to my eyeballs as well.  

I'm having the opposite medication problem.  I can't take any of the meds approved or recommended for nursing moms because I am allergic to them.  I refused to quit breastfeeding to try a new med.  So I have a v. low dosage anxiety med for emergencies.  I'm also trying to do other things.  Meditation for one.  But if you aren't breastfeeding and you feel that a medication adjustment is your only option, then talk to your doctor!  

But it is super hard.  I feel very resentful sometimes that I have been sending my baby to a babysitter every day (even though it is my mom) since he was 6 weeks old.  DS is now 6 months old and I've put in so many hours working and spent so many dark hours just unable to do anything that we are just now getting a good night-time routine started.  

My mom always told me:  "What's best for mama, is best for everybody."  

Going back to work is the hardest thing in the world for a new mama.  Some of that will ease over time.  But if you are truly that unhappy, maybe you should think about a lifestyle transition.  Maybe start the process of looking for a new job (I absolutely understand that this is akin to suggesting you drive to the moon in the current climate).  Maybe keep the conversation with your boss going.  

Whatever you do, I hope it helps and you find some peace!

#3 of 4 Old 03-25-2011, 04:04 AM

No i havent  experienced this but yes this forum is really very informative forum

#4 of 4 Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

I was suffering from PPD late last year.  My son was born in early October and I went back to work in early December (after 8-week maternity leave).  During my time off, I suffered horrible PPD.  I have three children altogether - 21 year old daughter, 16 year old daughter and now a 5 month old son.  With my girls, I was fine after giving birth.  With this last pregnancy and birth, I experienced PPD really BAD!  It was an experience that I would wish on no woman - UGH.  I also would like to add that I'm a single mother and sole provider of the family.  I need to be sane!!!

The first day back at work, I had a meeting with my manager.  We were swamped with work and things were really crazy (I also have a very high stress job - a lot of mental thinking).  Everyone was really glad to have me back because they really needed the help!  However, knowing that I was still recovering and fighting my way through PPD, I was VERY careful to stay in tune with what my body was saying.  I took things very easy.  I also knew that if push came to shove and I couldn't handle it, I had the option to go on "medical" leave for awhile.  I did NOT want to relapse and fought hard to make sure that I took things one day at a time.  It isn't easy - but listen to your body.  If you start feeling overwhelmed and panicked, STOP, get up and take a short walk (I had to do that a few times).  If you need to leave early because you feel as if you are ready to loose it, leave.  It is not easy but you have to take care of yourself.  If we are not fully functional, how in the world does anyone expect us to be productive?

Don't quit your job.  Find out your options.  Can you go on short-term medical leave and still get paid? Ask about your benefits and how you may be able to possibly take some time off.   Hang in there.  In the meantime, talk to your doctor to see if maybe there does need to be a medication adjustment.

I hope this helps.  Remember - you are not alone.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page