Tips for reconnecting and calming down - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A quick bit of history: I was diagnosed with PPD after DS1 was born appx 16 mos ago. It was well controlled with a low dose of Zoloft, even though my surprise pregnancy with DS2 six months after DS1 was born. Since DS2's birth two months ago, things have esaclated some. I've had a few anxiety issues, but mostly I have been getting angry. I'm just really crabby and I have zero patience/tolerence for either of my older two kiddos at times. It is not a constant thing or even a daily thing. Basically, I just get to where I want to sit on the computer and not interact and when I'm interrupted, I get angry and often yell. Or if I'm doing something, let's say folding laundry, I'm doing it in a hurried, pissed off way. If someone interrupts me, I can reply in short sentences for a few minutes before I get angry and yell. My midwife wants to add Xanax to relax me during these times, but that seems pretty excessive to me. I am breastfeeding, so that's part of it. But I DON'T want to end up addicted to Xanax and end up with an even bigger problem. MW says as long as I take it when I truly need it and not in anticipation of needing it, that should be avoidable. But still....*sigh* Its not what I want.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for calming down that isn't counting to ten (I'm a real freak, counting to ten generally pisses me off more...IDKY...exercising generally doesn't make me feel better, either), I'd appreciate it! Also, has anyone tried Rescue Remedy? I'm curious if it actually works.

FYI-The depression itself is still well controlled with a low level dose of Zoloft. TIA!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had some luck with rescue remedy and also with a mix of homeopathics that my naturopath made for me to take when it got bad.  For me it was a combo of silicea and phosphorus, but homeopathics can be really case specific, so that combo may not be the right mix for you. 

I hear you though.  It can be rough.  Thankfully after my 2nd I didn't have it like I did after my 1st.  But I do have anxiety issues that I am working through instead that lead me to do some of the same things you listed. 

Hopefully you can find something to help take the edge off and allow you to be more present and calm with your kiddos.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I suffered from moderate to severe PPD (and as it turned out later PTSD) after the birth of DS 21 months ago. Because of the mix of depression and anxiety, my provider raised the Zoloft dose several times, and I ended up taking 100 mg for a year. During that year, I also saw a counselor regularly, which helped immensely because it allowed to talk through the anger, the pain, the anxiety, etc., without feeling judged. Maybe you should try a higher dose of Zoloft and or therapy.

And I hear you on exercise, it didn't work for me at first either. However, I started doing Pilates - primarily to work on care strength - which completely changed my attitude towards exercise and depression. It made me feel so good and I was entirely relaxed and energetic. Very nice change. I think it helped me get off the Zoloft last year.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page