Antidepressant available made from fish oil!: PlusEPA! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Because to treat depression, they say that this is good to have No DHA.  Ive decided to save the PlusEPA for Postpartum when I usually deal with depression. Im going to add in a little extra DHA for baby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM

This is really interesting, have a family history of anxiety and depression & thank you for posting this.  I have a question though as its been mentioned the capsules are coated so they break down intestines and not in stomach.  What about those who can't swallow pills? (this is me)  can we chew them up for the same effect? Its a gel cap filled with fish oil right?  Does the EPA get destroyed by the stomach or something? I can't take even the tiniest of pills I chew all and trust me there have been some nasty tasting ones lol  I'd really like to try this, although I am wondering if chewing them up is going to basically make them worthless. Are we chewers out of luck or does anyone know if it will still be absorbed?

ETA:  I think I found the answer on their website. Seems it is only to avoid burping or fishy odor if broken down in intestines instead of stomach.  Great news for us non-swallowers :o)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#33 of 39 Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post

This is really interesting, have a family history of anxiety and depression & thank you for posting this.  I have a question though as its been mentioned the capsules are coated so they break down intestines and not in stomach.  What about those who can't swallow pills? (this is me)  can we chew them up for the same effect? Its a gel cap filled with fish oil right?  Does the EPA get destroyed by the stomach or something? I can't take even the tiniest of pills I chew all and trust me there have been some nasty tasting ones lol  I'd really like to try this, although I am wondering if chewing them up is going to basically make them worthless. Are we chewers out of luck or does anyone know if it will still be absorbed?

I know that you can get liquid fish oil. Lemon or orange is usually added to help with the taste. I used to take B complex liquid and man that was disgusting! I don't think this particular brand makes liquid but I know other ones do. Lucky Vitamin is a great website to get supplements.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#34 of 39 Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post

Bumping this up. I am 13 weeks pregnant and I have ordered my PlusEPA to begin taking again, because the OmegaJoy is not cutting it for me!  I hope to also take the PlusEPA after birth to help with postpartum depression

So, are you saying that OmegaJoy is not working then? I thought you said it was. What changed? Sorry, but I'm confused. I want to try whatever it is that works. And I have anxiety more often than depression with restlessness and poor sleeping. I also have issues with focus and memory - which I'm not sure if these issues tend to go hand in hand. Can you tell me if you've had any problems aside from the depression and if it's helped those? Do you still recommend the daily regimen of supplements as mentioned before?
#35 of 39 Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

The OmegaJoy appeared to be doing ok for a while, then I got pregnant ect. I can tell the PlusEPA is one of the best fish oil for anxiety, depression, or OCD problems.  IT just seems that the OMega JOy doesnt cut it as good as the PlusEPA.  I will say that the OmegaJoy does absorb some, because I  have sort of highly vivid extreme dreams with this!!

I am doing the OmegaJoy with adding in some DHA later on for baby's brain, then hopefully transfer just back to PlusEPA for after baby is born. My husband is willing to buy me 2 boxes a month for 2 grams of pure EPA a day for really good depression control for the hard few months after baby is born.  I would like to avoid drugs this time, and do it naturally with Light Therapy and EPA.

I have OCD, anxiety and depression tendencies.

I recomend Garden of Life B complex along with PlusEPA and a good food based Multivitamin from Garden of Life or Megafood. I take Megafood Prenatal. I also take Natural Calm which helps relax, and 4,000 IU vitamin D3

#36 of 39 Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM

I am going for it! I hope that nutrient cocktail works as good for me as it does for you! I'll report back in a few weeks. smile.gif Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!
#37 of 39 Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yay let us know how it works

My postpartum plan as follows, I will probably wait until I am done bleeding to do magnesium and PlusEPA.

1. Megafood Multivitamin or Prenatal

2.Garden of Life B complex-2 daily

3. 2-3 tsp Natural Calm magnesium

4. when bleeding is tapering off to nothing, start PlusEPA 4 gelcaps per day, one every 6 hours if having difficulty, otherwise 2 gelcaps twice a day

5. Use Lightbox 15 minutes every morning, optional
6. Use Happy Mama Spray (Earth Mama Angel Baby) throughout pregnancy and postpartum

#38 of 39 Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Can I ask you about the light box? Are they expensive? Can I make my own?
#39 of 39 Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, they are expensive I paid over 200 dollars for mine, but it is the real deal, and it does have an effect on my mood.

I got a light that Phillips company makes now, similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3318-60-Energylight-White/dp/B003Y67GBS/ref=pd_sim_hpc_11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page