weaning from AD + insomnia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, everyone. I'd be really interested hearing from those of you who had insomnia as your primary symptom and who found an AD that worked. I'm weaning off of Zoloft for the 2nd time & am frustrated that I am once again dealing with insomnia. I was on this board in 2009 at the height of my PPA, when I had severe insomnia. I took a lot of comfort hearing from those of you who recovered, and I'm happy to be on the other side of PPA now.

I took Zoloft from April to Dec. 2009 (6+ months @ working dose of 150mg). Z was so effective that during this time I took Remeron (my sleep aid) only occasionally. My reason for wanting to wean was (and is) Zoloft's sexual side effects. Taking a "med holiday" every week (skipping a dose for 2 consecutive days) has worked very well, but it really kills any spontaneity and I just don't see a weekly "date" as a long-term option.

I tapered off Z successfully in Jan. 2010 & slept great w/ no sleep meds for over a month, until a change in my daughter's sleep habits heightened my anxiety again. Went back on Zoloft in Feb. 2010. Stayed at working dose for 1+ years (all under care of my pdoc). Weaned off after the most stressful parts of this spring were over. Only had trouble sleeping a couple times as I went from 150 to 12.5mg--and all with obvious triggers (e.g., reading an upsetting email right before going to bed). I stayed at each dose for 1 week (150, 100, 50, 25, 12.5, 0). During the last week of my taper, my husband left for a 10-day trip. It's been quite stressful dealing with our toddler who is having authority issues (started telling me I'm not in charge) and meltdowns at the slightest provocation (I wanted my red cup! No--I want to wear my brown shoes! You ate my tortilla [yes, the very one she eat when it was on her plate for 20 min.]). My parents also came to visit, which in theory should help alleviate stress, but in reality did not. My daughter became super clingy, wanted to be held all the time, wouldn't let Oma do anything with her (change diaper, etc.) unless I was out of the house.

Anyway, of the 5 nights I've been off Zoloft, I slept great 2 nights & the other 3 ended up taking Remeron after lying in bed unable to fall asleep for 1-2 hours. (Last time I was off of Z it was weeks before I needed any sleep aid.) I'm not doing anything differently in my routine. I just don't know what's going on--if it's the underlying anxiety of solo-parenting for 10 days & being exasperated by my toddler or if I still have all the underlying anxiety that caused my PPA & insomnia in the first place. In the past 2 years there have almost always been obvious reasons I didn't sleep well. And I slept great even through some very stressful times. Currently, I do have thoughts during the day about whether I'm going to sleep well tonight, but it's not like I'm dwelling on it or lying awake at night worrying about anything in particular.

I feel so frustrated b/c my daughter is 2.5 and I'm STILL dealing with this issue. I feel like PPA permanently changed my ability to sleep. It never even occurred to me before PPA that I might not fall asleep on a given night. The past week makes me question whether I've even made any progress in dealing with my anxiety, whether I'll need to be on Zoloft (or some other AD) for the rest of my life.

My husband said, "What's the worst that can happen? You go back on Zoloft. So what?" On the one hand, he's right--Zoloft has worked marvelously well for me. On the other hand, the prospect of restricted, scheduled intimacy for the foreseeable future is very unappealing.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear from those of you who successfully weaned off your AD about what happened to your sleep patterns as you were weaning & afterward.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page