gestational diabetes....sad - Mothering Forums
Postpartum Depression > gestational diabetes....sad
jjjdancer2's Avatar jjjdancer2 12:59 PM 07-11-2011

AAaagh- I have gestational diabetes! I am at high risk for PPD (according to my family doc)  please listen :) I just found out and I’m really nervous- more so for my baby then me and I need help!  Even if you don’t have it..who do you guys think I should see or what should I do?  I found some free health information from docs on a site that admittedly calmed my fears a bit by laying out the xy and z’s of the disease (here is the link) they had some tips too that I had heard about from my friend who was at risk, but didn’t eventually get the disease...what else should I know though- anyone else want to share their story- I live in the bay area and would love to know of local resources or national ones too.

mami2f3's Avatar mami2f3 03:33 AM 07-22-2011

I had gestational diabetes with my secodn child. I was able to control it with diet not insulin but I was super vigilant about followin gthe diet. The best thing for your baby is to keep that blood sugar stable. I ended up induced in that pregnancy but there seemed to be a variety of factors. My child was not large at that point. I was able to birth without any other medication besides the pitocin (and the earlier shot that they gave to develop his lungs--just no pain meds and stuff). 

Funnily, I did not have ppd with that child even though I did with my first. 

When I was pregnant with my third child, I woudl not let them test me for gestational diabetes. I'm not sure if that was smart or not. I had felt that many of the interventions with #2 had been related to the GD. I kind of sensed I might have it a little, but that I could control it. So I pulled out my old meter and bought some strips and tested myself, followed my diet from #2 and monitored and stayed within good range. 

The diet is good health any way so it's worth doing no matter what. Yes, your risk is higher after for getting type 2 diabetes, so if there's any way to use the motivation of helping your child by doing the diet and then just keeping on it longterm it'd be good. Exercise is key too. really.

As for PPD, I was depressed during and after pregnancy with dc3. Please set up a network. Have people call and check on you. Have someone come and help you during the tough hours. It is so hard to ask for helpwhen you are in the middle of PPD. If you have any inkling that you may have it, it is easier to ask friends to be there for you in the future. I am serious about setting this up. Ask a friend to call you every day at 4pm (or whatever time). Or a couple friends to take turns if need be. Not sure if you have a partner, but someone who can also show up at the door predictably to hand a baby to and give you a cup of tea or whatever. 

Good luck! You will be able to do this!

Up