horrible mix...PPD/Insomnia help???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

this is my first post however, i have spent countless hours reading others posts to help me with what i'm going through. I could really use the support from women that understand as most family/friends just dont really get it....

I have a 4.5 month old son who is a great night sleeper unfortunitely i am not. My husband has taken over the night feed to help me get back on track. I have also been taking Zopiclone(7.5-15mg) everynight for the passed month and now started Zoloft 2 weeks ago (just increased to 50mg yesterday). what are your experiences with Zoloft, how long does it take to work? did it help with insomnia? I feel like i am desperate for things to get back on track.

Any info is helpful

#2 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM

I am so sorry to hear about the tough time you are having. Hang in there, mama.

I have an 8 week old babe and I started Zoloft for PPD a little over a week ago.

The third night I was on Zoloft I didn't sleep at all. Not even for five minutes during the night. I just lay there overcome with anxiety, unable to stop my mind from racing. Since then, I've had one more night that was sort of the same. I think I got maybe an hour of sleep. I just can't/couldn't shut my mind off. I eventually started to feel nauseous with anxiety and worry.

I spoke to my doctor about it, who said that it's possible it's just a symptom of ramping up on Zoloft, and that it would be a good idea to give it a couple full weeks and see if the symptoms subside. That said, of course, it depends on how much you can tolerate. If you think you can tolerate this for a while to see if the Zoloft will help it, then that's one thing. If you're totally fried and can't tolerate it, then maybe you need to look into an alternative.

By all means, communicate these symptoms and issues to your doctor.

PPD is awful enough. Then to add sleeplessness on top, it's just terrible. I don't know about you, but I end up laying there worrying about the fact that I'm not sleeping, which causes me to not sleep. *sigh. It's a vicious circle.

Do you think it's maybe the nights that are really bad? My anxiety is ten times worse at night. In the dark, all my worries seem larger than life. Do you have a way to nap during the day to help you maybe gain back a few minutes or hours here and there?

I'm glad you are seeking help. That is the mark of a good mama. Not that she has perfect feelings or a perfect experience, but that she keeps trying. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#3 of 7 Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM

How are you doing now, mama?

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 PM

This sounds exactly like my situation.  Please let me know how you are doing with the insomnia.  

#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Has anything improved for you?  

#6 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easmama View Post

Hi there,

I have a 4.5 month old son who is a great night sleeper unfortunitely i am not. My husband has taken over the night feed to help me get back on track. I have also been taking Zopiclone(7.5-15mg) everynight for the passed month and now started Zoloft 2 weeks ago (just increased to 50mg yesterday). what are your experiences with Zoloft, how long does it take to work? did it help with insomnia? I feel like i am desperate for things to get back on track.

Any info is helpful

Zoloft does eventually help with insomnia if the insomnia is a result of anxiety or depression. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partaria View Post

I am so sorry to hear about the tough time you are having. Hang in there, mama.

I have an 8 week old babe and I started Zoloft for PPD a little over a week ago.

The third night I was on Zoloft I didn't sleep at all. Not even for five minutes during the night. I just lay there overcome with anxiety, unable to stop my mind from racing. Since then, I've had one more night that was sort of the same. I think I got maybe an hour of sleep. I just can't/couldn't shut my mind off. I eventually started to feel nauseous with anxiety and worry.

I spoke to my doctor about it, who said that it's possible it's just a symptom of ramping up on Zoloft, and that it would be a good idea to give it a couple full weeks and see if the symptoms subside. That said, of course, it depends on how much you can tolerate. If you think you can tolerate this for a while to see if the Zoloft will help it, then that's one thing. If you're totally fried and can't tolerate it, then maybe you need to look into an alternative.

I had similar problems when I started taking Zoloft. It got better when I was reaching the therapeutic dose and upon consultation with my CNM began taking the Zoloft in the morning instead of at night. No idea why that worked but it did.

Good luck everyone.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM

i took zoloft for approximately a year and my insomnia was actually horrible the whole time while on it. i wasn't crying all the time, but i never did get to where i could sleep well. i stopped taking it almost 2 months ago, and my sleeping habits still havent' gotten back to normal- whatever normal is.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

Tags
Postpartum Depression

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page