Dad's with postpartum depression - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My dh got mad at me recently and told me not to discuss my sadness or upset with anyone. But then tonight, when I tried to talk to him about how he is acting, turns out... HE is the one who is overwhelmed. I am not even overwhelmed. I am very upset about being abandoned by the OB and the way the pregnancy went because of the bad medical care. On the other hand, he is overwhelmed. He keeps talking about when the kids leave for college and how he cannot handle 18 yrs of this and how difficult he thinks our 2 yr old is. Honestly, our 2 yr old is very easy compared.

Any suggestions? He is the sort that thinks he does not need help and won't consider it.

edited: I should say..I am not overwhelmed with the baby...it is the other stuff that is so upsetting, not the actual baby. DH says he is having a hard time handling everything, the baby, our toddler, everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure how to approach it if he doens't think he needs help and won't consider it. Would he at least take support and advice from you? Or maybe there is someone in your lives that could 'coincidentally' wink1.gif call him up to see how fatherhood is going and be a resource for him? I know my stepfather sometimes played this role with my husband. I would say what the challenge is, then he would check in with him and just happen to bring up the topic and give some words of advice (because my husband had great respect for him, it usually worked well).

I was really overwhelmed with a 2yo and baby, so I can relate to your dh. I also noticed that different people have different ages that they work well with and other ages that really trigger them. It is going to be 18 years 'of this', but it is 18+ years of different 'this.' Each stage only lasts a while. Maybe that would help him. 

That said, I know my mom says that a big reason she left my dad was that he was sooo critical of me during those toddler years, and I know that effected me as well. So I hope for you that you can find a way to keep him from expressing his overwhelm in that way to the kids. 

I don't have great advice here, but I do want you to know you are heard. I hope others will weigh in. 

hug2.gif

Mom to 11 y.o. lawyer, 9 y.o. actor, and 4 y.o. pilot. I believe 'em on those, too!

#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if you go to church your pastor (priest whatever) would probably have good suggestions. not only do they themselves do counseling, they refer out for various things as well.

if not, d

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page