I am afraid to take anti-depressants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am afraid to take anti-depressants because, I took them after my son died in 2000. I got pregnant right away after his death. I stayed on the antidepressants for years. I had the baby and breastfed him for 2.5 yrs. As he weaned, he became very difficult. He acted like a child going through drug withdrawal. He is ten years old now and it is clear the damage is permanent. I don't want to do that to another baby. Suggestions?

#2 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you need to talk to a doctor and come to an agreement on your treatment - you need to take care of YOURSELF right now and not worry about what may or may not happen years down the road.  Going on antidepressants now does not mean you will be on them for years.  You just need to get better.  

(((hugs)))

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I got a prescription for the zoloft yesterday. But it was the nurse I spoke to.

#4 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I am sorry you have to make this difficult decision. Weaning can be hard on a child, regardless if the mother is on antidepressants or not. Can you be sure its from the medication?

My SIL was afraid to take AD meds, so she is taking St. Johns Wort instead. It is said to have SSRI properties.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 10 Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Lisa You have to take care of yourself right now so you can take care of your children.This is a crisis situation hon.

elmh23 likes this.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#6 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 AM

agreeing witht he others, and 2.5 is a difficult age to begin with (says the mama of an almost 2.5 yr old) still so small and young and needy and yet wanting independance so fiercely, adding to the "boundary testing" that they do as they get bigger. am thinking (and could easily be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time) that if there is damage from the meds, it was probably more the meds that crossed the placenta, since studies have shown that a very small amount, when there is any of zoloft gets into mama's milk.

also don't forget that mamas are at increased risk of ppd during and right after weaning, as your body starts missing the hormones etc.

i can't tell you whether to take the meds or not as i can't even make up my own mind right now. but i did want to let you know you aren't alone.  several mamas here have you in their thoughts and or prayers. some of us are over the hump- so to speak- and others of us are just starting to try to make improvements (or try again).

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#7 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

He is 10 yrs old now. He was 2.5 when I stopped nursing and his behavior was so off. Still now he deals with problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03 View Post

agreeing witht he others, and 2.5 is a difficult age to begin with (says the mama of an almost 2.5 yr old) still so small and young and needy and yet wanting independance so fiercely, adding to the "boundary testing" that they do as they get bigger. am thinking (and could easily be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time) that if there is damage from the meds, it was probably more the meds that crossed the placenta, since studies have shown that a very small amount, when there is any of zoloft gets into mama's milk.

also don't forget that mamas are at increased risk of ppd during and right after weaning, as your body starts missing the hormones etc.

i can't tell you whether to take the meds or not as i can't even make up my own mind right now. but i did want to let you know you aren't alone.  several mamas here have you in their thoughts and or prayers. some of us are over the hump- so to speak- and others of us are just starting to try to make improvements (or try again).

#8 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Ok if you don't want to take them, what are your other options?  Believe me there are other options you just have to be committed.  Which is pretty hard if you're already depressed.  You need to discuss this with your Doc.  DH suffers from severe bouts of depression.  He's no longer medicated.  But we have a system and it has a lot to do with honesty and working through it together as well as physical activity.  Oh and eating the right kinds of foods.  This is not for everyone though so you need to speak with someone.

#9 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM

I also chose not to take meds with my PPD, but can't say whether I'd do it differently now...  (DD was born in 2009, and I had it for a year - coincidentally, the same time I stopped BFing).

However, at the time, I did go to a therapist, attended every PPD support group I could find, went to a LOT of new mom outings (classes, lunches), and exercised.  Because of my own shame, I really couldn't find support in my real life family/friends.  It was probably most difficult for my marriage, and now that my DD is older I really don't want it to affect our relationship negatively if it happens again.  

Sounds like you need to talk to your doctor, maybe the pediatrician, to make a more informed decision.  And certainly use other strategies (ie. social support, nutrition, exercise, therapy) in the mean time to combat this.  

#10 of 10 Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM

There are many other options you can try before going on an anti-depressant. I'm not sure which city you are in, but I have effectively treated post-partem depression in many of my patients. One thing I would suggest is to take a fish oil with a high EPA to DHA ratio. 3:1 ratio or higher. My preference is a professional line oil which ensures high standards of quality control. My first choice would be EBI Nutrition Fish oil concentrate (7 to 1 ratio). Another good options are Nutra Sea (3 to 1) by Ascenta. I am not saying to stop your meds. This can only be done under supervision of a licensed health care practitioner.

The best thing to do is to find a licensed and Board certified Naturopathic Doctor near you. You can go to http://www.naturopathic.org in the States, and www.cand.ca in Canada. This way they can properly assess your case and provide you with the best treatment options. 

All the best!

Vicky Rizothanassis ND

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page