celexa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted over in mental health but not really getting much response.....

I was just hoping to hear from any other mamas on antidepressants with little ones.....Success stories or anything.....

I was on Zoloft for a year just after my three year old was born and now I just went on Celexa yesterday. I was doing ok until this afternoon and now I'm having those prickly yucky panics attacks that I remember from starting last time.....i would just love any encouragment or thoughts....my support systerm (including my husband) is not great.

#2 of 23 Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 AM

Just have a second...toddler on the loose...

Wanted to send you some encouragement for taking steps to help yourself, and, by extension, your child.  I have used anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds on and off as needed for years.  It takes some courage to go to appointments, describe symptoms, get a script, get it filled, and begin taking it.  Good for you, mama.

I am sorry your husband isn't supportive.  My first one wasn't, either.  It was all "Well, it's your problem," which made me feel so guilty and terrible.

Do you have a LLL in your area?  The support I have gotten from mine was invaluable.

Do you have even one buddy you could walk and talk with?  Some exercise and friendship were super helpful to me when I was struggling with PPD.

Hang in there, mama.  You are not alone.  Feel free to PM me if you would like.  I've been there.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#3 of 23 Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much caedenmomma. Just reading your post made the cloud lift a bit. I am not nursing right now so haven't been to LLL....my youngest is three and I was on Zoloft for a year after she was born, then went off it for two years, and am now just getting on Celexa. It took so much courage to get on it three days ago. So far the side effects from starting up haven't been anywhere near what they were with the Zoloft, but it hasn't really started to take effect yet....

Do you mind if I ask what medications you were on? Or I could PM you....

#4 of 23 Old 10-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Hi Emily S,

There are many other options you can try before going on an anti-depressant. I have effectively treated post-partem depression in many of my patients. One thing I would suggest is to take a fish oil with a high EPA to DHA ratio. 3:1 ratio or higher. My preference is a professional line oil which ensures high standards of quality control. My first choice would be EBI Nutrition Fish oil concentrate (7 to 1 ratio). Another good options are Nutra Sea (3 to 1) by Ascenta. 

The best thing to do is to find a licensed and Board certified Naturopathic Doctor near you. You can go to www.naturopathic.org in the States, and www.cand.ca in Canada. This way they can properly assess your case and provide you with the best treatment options. 

Be well!

Vicky Rizothanassis ND

#5 of 23 Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the ideas, Vicky! I have tried everything it seems for the past four months...fish oil, 5htp, gabba, st. johns wort, inositol....I think I just reached a point where I couldn't help myself try to figure it out any more. I feel so badly and guilty about going on medication. I came from a house where tylonal was a bad word and I rarely every take anything (maybe a throat lozenge now and then).....this has been so hard for me to make the decision. Thank you though so much for your time in giving me the ideas....Oh, and I am also currently on Nutra Sea fish oils....I have been for the past three months.

#6 of 23 Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm just wondering....does it get any better than this? I am on day 6 and I was expecting at last a little let up from the depression and anxiety. Today it almost feels worse. Sunday felt good, yesterday was not great....today feels really bad. Please tell me this will work and there is an end in sight! I need encouragement right now.....

#7 of 23 Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post

Thanks so much for the ideas, Vicky! I have tried everything it seems for the past four months...fish oil, 5htp, gabba, st. johns wort, inositol....I think I just reached a point where I couldn't help myself try to figure it out any more. I feel so badly and guilty about going on medication. I came from a house where tylonal was a bad word and I rarely every take anything (maybe a throat lozenge now and then).....this has been so hard for me to make the decision. Thank you though so much for your time in giving me the ideas....Oh, and I am also currently on Nutra Sea fish oils....I have been for the past three months.

Well, your first step is to stop feeling bad about this decision. Seriously mama, you are doing what is best for you right now, and if you have tried all these herbal things and they arent working I suggest not feeling guilty for taking medication for one second. And you have helped yourself figure it out- you figured out that you needed help beyond what the health food store could provide.

I know that when a girlfriend of mine to Celexa it took her about a month to get "regulated" on it. She had some bad days, some panic attacks, and some great days for those first few weeks. It really evened out her emotions and made her feel better and have more energy without making her feel like a zombie.

Im sorry you have been dealing with this for so long. Are there any playgroups you could go to? You might post in Finding Your Tribe to see if there are any other mamas near you who could hang out, go to the playground, exercise, ect. Not having support is the worst. Have you thought about seeing a counselor or a therapist with your DH? I know you said he isnt very supportive, but maybe if he heard from someone else that you needed him to be supportive he would be a little better?

hug.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 23 Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

When I have tried different medications, I've found it takes a good couple weeks for the chemical changes to really take hold.  Look for little signs of success.  Record them in a special notebook if you can.  Even things that you might not give yourself credit for are worthy of your positive attention.  For me, it was small things like having the courage to call a friend, going out and buying myself a cup of coffee in a store instead of drive-through (I have social anxiety, amongst other things), realizing I was hungry and eating something good to nourish myself, or handling a situation well. 

Depression is a medical condition.  It helped me to take better care of myself when I remembered that.  I would also make analogies like "If I had [fill in the blank--diabetes, cancer, etc.], would I minimize this?  Would I think I was weak for taking meds?"  Of course not.

If you can think about it like this, it might help:  if you had a friend (or child!) diagnosed with depression, what advice or encouragement do you think she might need?  Then try to follow that advice for yourself.

Hope you sleep well this evening, Emily.  We are pulling for you.

edited to correct spelling

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#9 of 23 Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much caedanmomma and Adeline'sMama. Your words really help me.

I'm thinking I might just need to go up to the lowest theraputic level. I remember when I took Zoloft a couple years ago, a sign that i needed to go up was crazy panic. This morning about 10 minutes after taking my dosage, that hit. Just called the Dr. waiting for a call back...thanks for pulling for me : )

#10 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

So, I skipped yesterday mornings dose and took it before bed instead. I slept really poorly (even worse than I have been) and had CRAZY dreams. Is there anything I can do about this? I need to start getting some sleep. The dr. prescribed Xanax, but I've never taken it and I'm scared I"ll have a reaction or something.....has anyone else had a good experience with Xanax for sleep? What does it make you feel like? Thanks!

#11 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Celexa took me a good week or two to get used to. I had basically every side effect going on it possible! Like even the "Less than 1% have this side effect" but man it was the best thing I ever did for my mental health. Truly changed my life! Good luck hun! 

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#12 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I've taken Celexa in the recent past, though it was before I had a child. It took me about two-three weeks to start feeling better, and the anxiety in the beginning was really hard for me as well. I also had to have my dose adjusted up slightly (forget the actual amounts now) after two weeks since I was started on the lowest possible amount. The bizarre dreams were unreal! It was hard for me to get sleep too, and I was prescribed sleeping pills (forget which kind) but never took them because I found that Tylenol PM helped me. For me the side effects were worth it - it really helped me stabilize and get in a healthy place when I needed it. 

I went off it the autumn before I got pregnant since we were really serious about trying to conceive. My OB and my psychiatrist both provided me info about it being safe to use during pregnancy, but I personally wasn't comfortable doing it. So far, I've not felt like I needed to go back on it (I'm 7 weeks post partum now), but if I ever needed to again I wouldn't hesitate to take it. The dreams though! Crazy stuff. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#13 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Oh - another thing that helped me sleep better (and is good practice in general) - make sure you're "unplugged" at least an hour before bed - no television, no internet, no computer, no texting/phone calls. Which is easier said than done, especially with kids... but it really did seem to make a difference. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 23 Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamaecho and kitchensqueen....you have no idea how much it helps me through these days to read your responses. It makes me feel like there are others out there that are like me! I guess that sounds weird, like misery loves company, but just to know I'm not totally crazy helps....

last night I had the first ok night of sleep i've had in months. i fell asleep around 10pm and woke aroud 5am and though, wow, I slept for all that time! It wasn't deep sleep but it was SO good to stay asleep.....still haven't taken anything to make me sleep but i might in the next few nights if it gets worse....

yesterday was the first day I think i could say i was about 30% better. it felt good. the anxiety has ebbed a lot but the low in the pit of my stomach depression that is so sickening is still here a little. 

thank you all for your responses!

#15 of 23 Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM

So glad you're feeling better! Keep with it, it'll get even better still. I know what you mean about "misery loves company" - I think one of the hardest parts about being depressed is the isolation and the feeling of being completely adrift. Others have been there though! There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. :-) 

#16 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

well, slowly but surely I am feeling better. I would say I'm about 50% of feeling normal. SO much better than two weeks ago. My sleep has really improved. I am still nauseous most of the time. Does this go completely away? Or will I have to deal with it for as long as I'm on the meds? Also, I have noticed that my legs are often jittery even though I'm not nervous or anxious. Like I'll suddenly realized that I'm tapping my foot or jiggling my leg or something. I wouldn't even think anything of it except that it is so unlike me. Is this normal?

#17 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

well, slowly but surely I am feeling better. I would say I'm about 50% of feeling normal. SO much better than two weeks ago. My sleep has really improved. I am still nauseous most of the time. Does this go completely away? Or will I have to deal with it for as long as I'm on the meds? Also, I have noticed that my legs are often jittery even though I'm not nervous or anxious. Like I'll suddenly realized that I'm tapping my foot or jiggling my leg or something. I wouldn't even think anything of it except that it is so unlike me. Is this normal?

I had some of those symptoms too, as well as headaches when I was on it. You should mention them to your doctor though - maybe there's something you can do to alleviate some of the side effects. Glad to hear you're feeling better otherwise though and the sleep has normalized a bit for you! 

#18 of 23 Old 11-18-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone share with me what their Celexa dosage was? I started on 10mg and just went up to 20mg. Is that high? I just didn't feel like 10mg was doing the trick.

#19 of 23 Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 AM

Hi!  I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Celexa, but it sounds like it's starting to take effect. :)  I just wanted to share that maybe if you still have trouble sleeping/nausea you could ask about taking half a unisom or a whole one before bed. I was taking it to deal with morning sickness, and it did help me sleep, too.  Hopefully the side effects will go away soon.  I had PPD/anxiety after my dd was born, and I was not treated. I'm planning to try zoloft this time around to prevent it.

#20 of 23 Old 11-19-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Readergirl! I was on Zoloft a couple years ago for PPD. It saved my life. I really hoping this Celexa works as well. Kind of wondering why the Dr. didn't just put me back on Zoloft, but I'll give this a shot for a while longer. Thanks for posting : )

#21 of 23 Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Can anyone share with me what their Celexa dosage was? I started on 10mg and just went up to 20mg. Is that high? I just didn't feel like 10mg was doing the trick.

Now that you mention it, I think that was my dosing when I took it. Wish I still had the bottle to check, but it was tossed when I went off it. I think ten is the minimum dose you can get. 

#22 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 AM

I am newly on celexa 10 mg. I have been having horrible anxiety. I am going to increase it to 20mg. I was on Lexapro previously but it made me crave red wine...weird I know. Since you increased is your anxiet better?

#23 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM

I started celexa on 10 mg.  Then it didn't work so well so they upped me to 20, 40, and eventually 60.  Then it stopped working all together.  I started having panic attacks, rage attacks, and freak outs (throwing dishes, phones, shoes, etc...).  It really exacerbated my pre-existing mental conditions.

When it worked, it was a freaking wonder drug.  Seriously.  I felt AMAZING.  It took a little over a year before it started not working anymore and actually affecting me negatively.

As for xanax, I've never been prescribed xanax but a friend of mine gave me some when I ran out of my antipsychotic because the pharmacy had to order it in and it really helped me sleep.  I'd take half during the day and a whole one at night and BAM! out like a light.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page