Postpartum Anxiety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I had anxiety before I was pregnant but it wasn't too bad. My anxiety started getting really bad throughout my pregnancy and since my little one was born 10 weeks ago, it is at the worst it has been. I get anxious talking to people in general especially about my baby. I start getting red on my face,neck and chest which makes me embarrassed and makes it worse. I get overly warm and start sweating, but the redness is what makes me so anxious. I get anxious to talk to people or be in social situations because I am afraid of getting so red and people looking at me or saying something.
This is getting really bad because I never want to go out or join any mommy and baby programs.
If you have any insight please feel free to comment, needing all the help I can get. I don't want to go on medication and I want to get this under control because I don't want it to effect my baby.

Thank you.

#2 of 5 Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 AM

I am sorry you are suffering from this.  Unfortunately it is pretty common!  I don't have much time to post at the moment, but if you do a search here you will find a ton of information on nutrition and supplements that might make a world of difference and are safe to use while nursing.  Off the top of my head:  Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C, High Quality Fish oil...  It might be worth a visit to a nutritionist, naturopath or homeopath.  Pregnancy can really deplete you and cause these things to happen.  Also a good postpartum psychotherapist (who doesn't force you into medication) can help a lot with coping tools and general emotional issues related to the enormous transition to parenthood.

All the best to you.

#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM

I don't have anything specific to recommend beyond what herenow2 said (vitamins and fish oil...I found vitamin D very helpful in the winter, in large doses; it doesn't get passed easily through breastmilk but the baby will also need a D supplement if you live up north).

However, let me say that many mothers will be going through something very similar so they will probably be understanding in a mothers' group.  Some of them will be awkward and scared, too, if not blushing.  If you have a local women's center, they might have some very low-key mothers' groups, instead of a socially nervewracking playgroups or classes.  When I was so nervous, I found directed groups easier to deal with than unstructured playgroups.  Also babies' yoga is good because then you just have to move the baby around, not talk to anybody!

Anyway I totally hear you and I hope you feel better soon.  I was diagnosed with postpartum ocd (ha ha), and that, whatever it was, went away after about 8 months or so.  It involved lots of over-the-top worrying about the baby as well as embarrassing social fear...I know that a few more months seems like a long time but you'll be okay, it will fade off.  And, if it doesn't, there are lots of positive ways to work on it without medication.

#4 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 AM

You got a lot of good advice here. I second getting out and joining a new mom's group. Check your hospital, Le Leche League, etc.

Also, I had really bad PP anxiety. I was really adamant that I would not take medication, but when I eventually caved, I realized how much better I was because of it. Just a thought. For me it made all the difference in the world.

Anyways, hang in there. It can be so tough. Please make sure you get the help you need, it is so much easier leaning on someone else sometimes.

Feel better!!

#5 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 AM

You got a lot of good advice here. I second getting out and joining a new mom's group. Check your hospital, Le Leche League, etc.

Also, I had really bad PP anxiety. I was really adamant that I would not take medication, but when I eventually caved, I realized how much better I was because of it. Just a thought. For me it made all the difference in the world.

Anyways, hang in there. It can be so tough. Please make sure you get the help you need, it is so much easier leaning on someone else sometimes.

Feel better!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page