Looking for articles/ advice for PPD that was undiagnosed & relational & behaviour problems with toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

My friend has a 2.5yr old girl & a 1.5yr old boy. When DD was born, mom & dad made an international move, mom left a career she was passionate about, and dad became a student, putting them far from home on a TIGHT budget. Soon after this move she was pregnant again. She now thinks she had PPD but is not sure. Just looking into it. She hadn't heard of attachment parenting, has always practiced "typical" american parenting style. 

Now with DD going through a particularly challenging stage of development, she is reflecting on their relationship. Does anyone have good resources that discuss PPD, what an insufficiently attached parent-toddler relationship looks like, how attachment affects behavioural issues, and/or how to reconnect & heal if you haven't attached well to your toddler?

Sorry it's so vague... we haven't talked about it deeply, but I want to be able to offer her some information and support while she is feeling open to it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 PM

I'm not really sure on resources but have been thinking along the same lines recently about my dd she is 2 and wondering how to reconnect. I can really feel the difference between my relationship with her and with my son (4 mo) although some of it IMO is related to how she and I were affected by a traumatic birth and postpartum period...I hope someone else chimes in. I think a good counselor or spiritual healer type may be helpful?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Of course counseling would probably be helpful- I think it usually is for every kind of problem! But finances & logistics often make that a difficult thing to access... I know for my friend it would be next to impossible. I'm hoping someone has a book, an article, or tips & encouragement if they have been there... Or maybe a counselor that specializes in attachment could comment on what they might recommend to their clients! I know that in "Continuum Concept" the author (I forget her name) suggests that kids that were not allowed a lot of skin to skin and cuddling as babies might be invited back into their parents bed just for "sleep overs" to help them bond, or be carried around, just as a piggy back ride or something... I know a bit about attachment, but it's the PPD I really don't know much about, and how those would interact...

#4 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

Maybe you could give a bit more detail?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page