New here... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. My name is Brittany. I think I have ppd, and I have a question. Can it go away on it's own without medication? I don't have time to get to a doctor, or even call for that matter. I had my second baby February 22nd, and I've been feeling so low since he was about 5 weeks old, and I know it's affecting my daughter, she's two. I finally told my husband today that I think I have ppd. I have good and bad days, and I'm completely exhausted even though the baby only wakes up once a night. I've been so irritable that my daughter and husband have been getting the bad end of the stick. I'd never hurt her, and the thought of depression scares me. I was hoping that talking to some people who are going through it too would help.

#2 of 2 Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Brittany.  Thanks for writing, and I am so sorry you are going through this.  You brought up a number of important issues and I just have a moment, but didn't want to not respond at least a bit.  Your baby is still young and you are still awash in post-partum hormones.  Those first few months were, for me, extremely, extremely difficult...and I didn't have a toddler like you!

Do you have support?  This can mean anything from family you love and trust who live close enough to help...to good friends...to a LLL group or a mom's group...to a buddy or two in your same shoes.  Are you a SAHM or do you also work outside the house?  Are you nursing?  All of these things can play a factor in your overall health and wellness and sanity.

The fact that you are aware that you are struggling is GOOD.  The fact that you are able to talk to your husband about it is GOOD.  Paying attention to your interactions with your loved ones and noticing your level of irritability is GOOD.  Reaching out to folks on MDC is GOOD.  You are doing some healthy, smart things.  I would encourage you to also reach out to somebody in real life if possible.

Also--a quick caution--I noticed you are a new poster and appear to be using your real first & last name.  You may want to open a different account.  Conversations here are google-searchable by name, and are also sometimes quoted on Fb and other sites.

I wish you luck and health.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page