Dealing with anxiety, anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my third son six months ago. He's a great baby, super happy, sleeps well, barely cries...just a joy to have. I have been experiencing pretty debilitating anxiety about him passing away, or just something happening to him in general. I never had these concerns with my 6yo or 4yo. It's to the point now that i just stare at him every chance i get. I occasionally pull over to check him while I'm driving if he's not making noise. I put him down in his play pen to sleep around 8. DH and i usually watch TV or read, then when he wakes up anytime between 11-12 i bring him to bed with me. I can't even bare to think of him not being in the same room with me. I have been sleepy before he wakes up but i just can't go to sleep on the couch with him right there in the playpen. When we're watching TV i usually check him every 10 minutes. I get up and walk over (he's in the living room with us) and put my hand on him to check his breathing. I had an arms reach Co sleeper but i couldn't fall asleep with him in it. We bedshare and i feel much better like this. I still wake about every hour and check on him, but i sleep on my side so he can nurse with my hand on his tummy. Six months of this and it's not getting better, only worse the longer he sleeps. The thought of having him in the other room in a crib makes my stomach hurt. I feel crazy. All of my mom friends can't wait until their babies sleep through the night but the thought makes me nauseous.

I started talking with a counselor about my anxiety. She feels it's a result of me never dealing emotionally with miscarriages i had prior to his birth. My 4yo is autistic as well as epileptic. Between him and my new baby, i feel like i could lose my children forever any day. I know tomorrow is never promised, but i just can't handle this anxiety anymore. I'm hoping through our counseling that i can get over this and enjoy my babies.

Anyone else experience anxiety post partum?? What helps you manage it? I've tried taking walks, getting fresh air to relax but nothing helps. i just want to be able to enjoy my family without worrying that something awful is going to happen.

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

hug2.gif

Does your therapist feel like it's worth considering medication to get you through until you can process your losses?

And as the mother of a spectrum kid myself (who had seizures when he was a toddler), I say this gently and with absolute respect--but did they consider you processing the loss of having a neurotypical child, too?  This comes up in the special needs forum sometimes and I think that if the therapist is already tipped off to the losses, you might look into that one, too and examine how you've processed that reality.  We don't often consider that because we HAVE our children here.

I'm not sure if taking some extra B6 plus a B-complex would help you at all, but it may be worth a try in the meantime.

It's good that you're working with someone, though.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi everyone --

I too have struggled with anxiety. This site is a great resource for discovering ways to reduce or cure it. I hope it helps.

http://www.livingwithanxiety.com

K

#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the link i will definitely check it out.

Today was my second session with this counselor, I read these replies while sitting in the waiting room...she actually did bring up the feelings of loss from the diagnosis. We haven't discussed medication, but I'm starting to wonder if that may be best. As i discussed my fears further, she challenged me to not sleep with my hand on his chest and to gradually space the time I spend checking his breathing. I got emotional from the suggestion and actually felt like i was choking and started to well up with tears. I don't know if I'm ready for that. I'm starting to feel like my anxiety over SIDS is causing him to not sleep as well, too. He sleeps 4-5 hrs alone in his play pen but wakes every hr after i bring him to bed with me. This is slightly new though so he could be growth spurting.

I know challenging myself is the only way to overcome these fears but i just don't think I'm ready. I will definitely look into B6 as well!

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Hello,

I'm just like you...  I absolutely have baby OCD, scared of everything that could possibly hurt my baby.  The two things that I can think of that have helped me are:  1.  the Snuza Halo baby breathing monitor (it attaches to the diaper and beeps if the baby's subtle breathing movements stop).  I don't think I would have gotten any sleep for 8 months if I had not had that thing!  2.  St. John's Wort-- it is a natural supplement that really does seem to help with no side effects.  Just make sure it's ok to take with any other medications you may be on...

Other than these things, I'd say that my anxiety eases as the each baby gets older.  

#6 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You might also try meditation.  I know, I know--sounds really silly.  It's also really hard (I find it difficult to shut my brain off) but if you're actually working on it, it may help.

Chopra Center just did a 21-day meditation challenge and I know they sell the 21-day program for like $30.  It might be worth looking at...?  Actually, the link looks like you might still be able to register for it.  I know from my training that the research behind what meditation and breathing techniques can do have helped people get off of anxiety meds.  Specifically the 4-7-8 breathing technique that Dr. Weil lays out.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Hugs, mama.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page