Midwife not understanding my ppd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my baby 3 weeks ago and on day 5 I had a drop in hormones and got really sad, cried over everything. Seeing my husband walk in the room, nursing. My baby, hearing a song etc.

I told my midwife but never got any real support from her.
3 days later ....after taking herbs, homeopathics, lots of water and lots of tears, it went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new baby and hugs to you! PPD can be hard and some care providers don't understand it well. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. If you find that the PPD comes back, you might look for a PPD support group in your area or a call a women's center and ask for referrals to therapists with experience with PPD. Sending good wishes to you!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM

I would guess that she must be a person who never experience anyhthing like that

herself and simply can't relate to your feelings and she was not educated in  lieu

of her lack of emphaty. Not all people are equally emphatic or understanding to the PPD.

Btw.. you know what is super easy way to get over it and healthy and delicious?

I mean.. as long as you nurse you are prone because a lot of it is about the

iron deficiency that continues after delivery and during nursing..

Pump some natural iron and y ou wills ee improvement. but by natural I dont' mean

supplement.. watermelon juice is loaded with iron and just buy fresh organic watermelon

juice it and drink, juice and dring right away as the vitamins and iron and enzymes do

get oxygenized and fall apart so it has be be taken immediately.

this is cheap and so healthy for you and the baby. don't put pits in the jucier as pits are not healthy.

also just grandma smith organic apple juice once or twice glasses a day does miracle to your level of the iron.

those  natural surces have so much iron if taken regularly you won't believe.

and delicious and zero side effects.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM

what herbs and homeopathics did you use? maybe the midwife was a bit perplexed ebcause it came on so quickly and went away so quickly... *usually* baby blues is the weepiness, mood changes etc in the first couple weeks, and resolves on its own. i had ppd for a year before getting put on meds that actually did help i think. i am certainly no expert though. my midwife refers anyone who tells her they need to help the psych dr there at the birth center one day a week, and in the first 6 months after delievery, there is no charge (i wish i'd have known that when i was still having so many issues i would have made an appt and gone sooner instead of calling the ob the day after my littlest one turned a yr old.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM

First off, congrats on your new baby and glad you're feeling better! I am replying to your post because my Mid-wife did not recognize me PPD. I went in for my 4 wk appt and had to take that quiz about PPD that they make you take. My score was higher than it should be.  When the midwife came in, she talked me out of it. She told me I read the directions wrong, and what I was feeling was normal, BUT it wasn't. I am not saying it was malicious or anything, but I feel like I could've gotten help sooner if she would have asked me instead of telling me. Anyway, I went on thinking I was fine and at 7 weeks postpardum now, I am not fine. It hit me hard. I did not want my Husband to leave me alone, I was anxious/nervous/panicky/scared all the time, and crying uncontrollably. I realized something was wrong, and so did my Husband, Sister, and Mother. They all helped me get help. I went today as a matter of fact. When the receptionist heard my symptoms, she said I should see the Doctor, NOT a midwife. I have been with my Midwife for awhile, BUT, she is NOT a Doctor, and therefore did not recognize I needed help. I feel that those quizzes should be reviewed by the Doctor before they let you go. Anyway, I took the quiz again and I scored even higher this time than the last time. The doc prescribed some meds & recommended some psychologists to talk to. I talked to one today and already I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I know it will be awhile before I feel better, BUT I am hopeful now that I am on the road to recovery and this will not last forever. It is treatable and common for Women to feel this way after having a baby. Good Luck and I hope you continue to do well!

User Tag List