never thought it could happen to me - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Reading all of your entries has been very helpful. I didn't think this could happen to me. I have read about it and thought I knew the signs of PPD, BUT, I didn't, and it crept up on me. However, I found out today, PPD will NOT last forever!  Here's my story, My beautiful baby girl is 7 weeks old. I recently realized and admitted to myself and my family, that I have PPD, and went to get help. I would cry for a little bit here and there, but it wasn't consistent, so I thought it was normal. Plus the Holidays kept me kinda busy so I didn't really feel it's full effect. People would tell me it was just the BB blues and I just needed to get out of the house. So at my 4wk gyno checkup, I scored high on those quizzes they give you about PPD. But the mid-wife I see, talked me out of it, believe it or not. She told me my feelings were normal & she didn't think I had PPD. I know this was not malicious in anyway, but I wish she woulda picked up on it, and sent me for help sooner. Anyway, this week it hit me hard. I felt anxious and panicky all the time. I was afraid for my Husband to go to work because I didn't want to be alone, super lethargic, crying uncontrollably, no appetite, and guilty. I was out with my Mom, Sister, and the Baby yesterday afternoon, and they could tell, I wasn't myself. Then, last night, I broke down in front of my Husband. We both agreed it was time I see someone. My Sister took me to the Doctor today, and sure enough, I have PPD. I scored really high on the quiz again!  I told her how I was feeling and she said it's all part of PPD. Luckliy, I caught it before any harmful thoughts crossed my mind. I am mostly feeling helpless, lethargic, anxious/panick and sadness.The Doctor gave me Lexapro, and I am going to see a counselor on Tuesday. I also grabbed a pamphlet for a support group, and I am going to go. I have to say, I never thought this could happen to me and could not understand why. The Doc says, it's more physiological, and Women cannot help it. They still don't know why it affects some and not others. But, it doesn't make me or ANYONE suffering from PPD, a bad Mom, a weak person or a failure. She says the fact that I was there asking for help, makes me a good person and Mother because I want to get better for my Child. If we get help, IT WILL GET BETTER!  They also tested my Thyroid because it has a lot to do with hormones, (which I did not know.) I just started the lexapro today, but I am hopeful. The doc said to make sure I get out of the house with the baby, exercise for at least 15min everyday, (even if it's a walk around the mall), Eat 3 meals a day (because the meds can make you lose your appetite) and eventually, I will get back on the right track. Even though I know it will be a long road, and it's not going to happen overnight, I already feel a little lighter today knowing I am on the road to recovery, and all is not lost. I am also proud of the fact that I admitted I had a problem, and went to get help. That is the hardest part. I tried to cover it up, but it came out eventually. I am NOT one to give any type of advice, but I will say this.....If you're feeling any of the symptoms I described, or that anyone else whose had PPD has described, PLEASE just talk to someone about it. Do not try to tough it out, or let people tell you it's all normal. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for listening whoever reads this, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has an experience they'd like to share with me. Sincerely, Hopeful

#2 of 3 Old 05-18-2013, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

How are you feeling now mama?

#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Yes... I am wondering about you, too.  How is therapy going?

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page