Some help for Anxiety due to PPD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was diagnosed with PPD yesterday. I have a 8 wk old Daughter. I am on day 2 of lexapro, and have spoken to a psychologist already, BUT today I was experiencing extreme anxiety. It was to the point that I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust! I have never felt this before now. Anyway, on top of that, I could not eat because the lexapro suppresses ur appetite. SO, extremely anxious, hungry BUT nauscious and unable to sleep. I contemplated going to ER, but was afraid to be admitted. SO, I finally called the Doctor back tonight, and asked what to do. He recommended I Xanax to take the edge off. I was worried it would not be compatible with lexapro, but he said he usually gives it to all his patients until the lexapro starts to work. I am sure a lot of you know this already,  but I just thought this may be helpful to those of you experiencing what I am that know you could take both at once.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hi there, hon, I'm bumping your thread to help it get seen.

How are you doing today? Do you have a support person/partner to help with the baby while you address your needs and nurture yourself a bit?

#3 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi and thank you for the reply and concern. I actually ended up going to the hospital and staying for a few days. It helped a lot. The doc gave me a diff anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety med until the anti-depressant gets in my system. The anxiety got so bad, that even the xanax the Doc prescribed the night before did not work. So he recommended I go to hospital to get evaluated. While I was there, they said I was in bad shape, and it would be in my best interest to stay, so I did as hard as it was. I attended group sessions, individual sessions and got stabilized on the meds so i was able to function at home. I have group and individual sessions scheduled already to continue my treatment at home until it gets better. It was the scariest thing I have ever done, but I am so glad I recognized the problem and took the initiative to help myself. Luckily, I have a fantastic support system at home. Between My Husband, Mother, and Sister, the baby was well taken care of while I worked on myself for a few days.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page