Please share your experience with placenta for preventing PPD - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Please select the answer or answers that best describe your experience with placenta for PPD. (Share
I have consumed my own FRESH, RAW placenta within 48 hours of the birth, & it HELPED prevent PPD or excess bleeding. 1 10.00%
I have consumed my own FRESH, RAW placenta within 48 hours of the birth, & it did NOT HELP prevent PPD or excess bleeding. 0 0%
I have consumed my own RAW (either fresh or UNcooked & dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it HELPED prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 3 30.00%
I have consumed my own RAW (either fresh or UNcooked & dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it did NOT HELP prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 0 0%
I have consumed my own TCM prepared (either fresh or dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it HELPED prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 1 10.00%
I have consumed my own TCM prepared (either fresh or dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it did NOT HELP prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 0 0%
I have consumed my own STEAMED/ COOKED (either fresh or dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it HELPED prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 1 10.00%
I have consumed my own STEAMED/ COOKED (either fresh or dehyrated) placenta within a few days/ weeks/ months of the birth, & it did NOT HELP prevent PPD or prevent excess bleeding or improve milk supply or improve feelings of energy & well-being. 0 0%
For healthcare professionals only (ie midwives, doulas, doctors, nurses): I recommend placenta for the care of PP mothers because I believe it HELPS their PP recovery in tangible ways. 0 0%
For healthcare professionals only (ie midwives, doulas, doctors, nurses): I DO NOT recommend placenta for the care of PP mothers because I believe it does NOT HELP their PP recovery in tangible ways. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mamas,

I'd like to hear from mamas who have consumed placenta or placenta products to prevent or treat ppd-- please share your stories, ideas, things you'd change, and things you'd do the same.

I've had PPD in the past, and I would like to naturally prevent & treat if possible this time.

I'm including a poll, so we can all see the information trends easily with help from those who've btdt.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Hi mama,

I only have one child and no experience/historty of PPD so I can't say that consuming my placenta prevented it, but I do know that it helped with a postpartum hemorrhage. My midwife's assistant mixed part of the placenta into a berry smoothie about an hour after DS was born. At that point, I was bleeding pretty heavily, had been given a shot of Pitocin (I believe?) that didn't seem to be working, and the midwife was beginning to consider a transfer to the hospital (it was a homebirth.) Once I had the smoothie, the bleeding began to stop within 15 minutes, and an hour later, it had stopped all together. I don't know if the two are related, but I do know that I felt great after my birth-- no PPD, good energy and spirits. I consumed the rest of the placenta raw in smoothies over the next 2 or 3 days-- a dear friend was kind enough to chop/prepare it for me because I was pretty squeamish :/

I hope you get some good data from this thread-- thanks for starting it!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 PM

I did PE with my 2nd pregnancy and there is a marked difference in how I feel. With my first I experienced some sadness, mood swings and difficulty with milk supply. This go round my mood has been great, energy level is excellent and my milk came in quick and heavy. So much so I had to pump within a few days of coming home. First go round I couldn't get 1 oz. This time I can get 5 ounces on each side. My daughter is 8 weeks and my milk has sustained and I'm extremely happy I did encapsulation. I really wish I had done it with my first. I used the RAW method and TCM method. It has meant a lot to feel happy, level and not extremely exhausted.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your info, mamas! I thought this poll & thread had died. I think my mw can help me find someone for encapsulation bc she asked if I'd considered it at our last meeting C:

Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM

I ate my placenta in a berry smoothie, raw over a weeks time and it did prevent PPD. It was my 5th child. I had PPD with all of my other children. I am bi-polar without meds. I regulate through exercise and diet...post partum was always difficult for me. I will due do it again. Wish I had known about it with my other children!

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Where's the "I don't know if it helped" option?  Can you truly say one way or another?  I had my placenta encapsulated after my second child's birth, as an insurance policy against PPD.  I didn't expect to have PPD, I did not have PPD after my first was born (I was depressed, but that was related to the c-section).  I did not have any PPD, low supply or hemorrhage issues the second time, but I didn't have any the first time.  ???

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

User Tag List