Hypothyroidism that goes away during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Postpartum Depression > Hypothyroidism that goes away during pregnancy?
GoGetumTiger's Avatar GoGetumTiger 04:24 PM 04-22-2013

Hi, I hope this is the right place for this question.  I am eight months pregnant and my husband and I were commenting to our doula that I have had FAR less emotional issues since I've gotten pregnant ... my hormones were a huge mess swinging from one extreme to the other when I was cycling, yet during pregnancy I've had no mood swings.  I also have not had any of the "standard" low thyroid things I've complained about for years.  She asked if I'd had my thyroid checked, and I have, multiple doctors started checking about 7 years ago when I started piling on weight and suffered from depression.  My levels always come out normal - they've checked more than just TSH, I think they did free T3/T4.

 

She said (in a non-fear mongering way) that based on her own personal experience, it sounded like pregnancy was offsetting subclinical hypothyroidism and that I may have issues/PPD once I give birth.  She gave me the name and number of a doctor to call.  I figured it wouldn't hurt, but I'm not expecting much since I've been tested so many times.

 

I'm just curious if anyone had heard of this or also had personal experience?  I tried Google but the only thing I came up with was that if you're on meds for hypothyroidism they need to be changed during pregnancy to accommodate for the TSH produced by the placenta

 

Thanks in advance.



LLQ1011's Avatar LLQ1011 11:00 AM 04-27-2013

If its related to your cycle could it be more hormonal based?

 

If you always test normal for tyroid issues I would be weary of it being the issue. I do know that some thyroid horomones are naturally higher in pregnancy. Good luck mama. Postpartum can be rough without chemical issues. Congrats on your pregnancy!
 


Viola's Avatar Viola 11:20 PM 04-29-2013

I haven't heard of this, but I experienced an elevated mood during pregnancy.  In my first pregnancy, I had periods of elation and a general sense of wellbeing, but as the pregnancy went on, I got more anxious and the elation kind of faded back into something more normal for me.  I probably did have some level of PPD although I never was diagnosed or treated for it.

 

With my second baby, I felt pretty darn good the entire time, more even-tempered.  I actually didn't eat as much, my appetite was such that I could go for hours without eating.  I was hoping it would stay like that, but once I had the baby and was nursing, I got the grazing compulsion back again.  

 

I've gained weight and had symptoms of hypothyroid (dry skin, dry hair, intolerance to cold, pain in my neck), but no blood tests reveal a problem.  I did have low Vitamin D, so I started taking that at the doctor's suggestion, and it was normal the last time out.  I am older now, and a lot of my mood issues have kind of smoothed out with age, but I always figured the hormones balanced out better in pregnancy if you tended towards depression in the first place.  I don't really know, though.  My sister had a lot of symptoms of hypothyroid, but tested as hyper, so they did a scan of her thyroid and found out that one lobe wasn't working, and the other lobe was alternately over performing in compensation, and had periods of under performing.


demeter888's Avatar demeter888 12:08 AM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetumTiger View Post

.  My levels always come out normal - they've checked more than just TSH, I think they did free T3/T4.

 

 

Hi,

 

I am confused by this statement. If you have/had hypothyoidism, your TSH would at some point have had to be above around a 3(ish) in order to get diagnosed, right?  My endocrinologist of course was able to dx by just feeling the gland itself and hearing my symptoms but even she looks at bloodwork.  

 

I had no problems tolerating cold but was markedly fatigued and depressed for about 4 years before getting diagnosed.  It was hell and getting on synthroid was a literally life saver for me even though my TSH was not very far out of range by the time a doctor caught it.  I thought I had incurable depression and was going to give up!

 

I have hypo from hashimoto's and can assure you that there is nothing abnormally abnormal when it comes to thyroid symptoms, especially in pregnancy.  Hormones are wackadoo.  In my last pregnancy TSH gradually crept up and in this pregnancy it has remained stable.  Post-partum, last time I had amazing energy and happy hormones despite an anxiety prooblem, severe lack of sleep, and a slowly decreasing TSH.  This time after pregnancy, I will be ready for anything, and already have a doc set up in the event that I get PPD.  

 

All the best to you!


1babysmom's Avatar 1babysmom 10:53 AM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

Hi,

I am confused by this statement. If you have/had hypothyoidism, your TSH would at some point have had to be above around a 3(ish) in order to get diagnosed, right?

I have hashi's hypo as well but my TSH, T3 and T4 are all always normal (even when they rise slightly during pg). My only indicator is my anti-TPO count. I was blown off by my first doc because of that....he didn't know anything about antibodies. Totally clueless.

I haven't ever experience PPD right after a term pregnancy....but I do seem to get hit with more of the hypo symptoms later on, around 6-7 months PP the emotional stuff seems to hit and then the physical stuff around 1year.

OP I hope you get some answers! Thyroid stuff can be so wacko and confusing.
demeter888's Avatar demeter888 04:51 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post


I have hashi's hypo as well but my TSH, T3 and T4 are all always normal (even when they rise slightly during pg). My only indicator is my anti-TPO count. I was blown off by my first doc because of that....he didn't know anything about antibodies. Totally clueless.

I haven't ever experience PPD right after a term pregnancy....but I do seem to get hit with more of the hypo symptoms later on, around 6-7 months PP the emotional stuff seems to hit and then the physical stuff around 1year.

OP I hope you get some answers! Thyroid stuff can be so wacko and confusing.

I forgot about the antibodies test.  Yes, I probably would have caught my own much sooner if the multiple doctors I saw knew about this.    Idjots!

 

I was reading on the Mayo Clinics site it says:

"But by using the sensitive TSH test, doctors are able to diagnose thyroid disorders much earlier — often before you experience symptoms."

 

I have never met a woman with thyroid issues that was not experiencing fairly noticeable symptoms WELL before her diagnosis.  This must have been written by yet another ignorant doctor.  Sorry you got blown off.   

 

On a side note:  I often go to a walk-in, pay-out-of-pocket lab and spend about 32 dollars to monitor my TSH because in Florida it's easier than going through a doctor and getting an Rx and going to a stupid lab like Quest and then having to wait to hear back from the doc's office and hoping my insurance pays the expensive lab bill.   Patients really have no decent rights here!  


GoGetumTiger's Avatar GoGetumTiger 11:01 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

On a side note:  I often go to a walk-in, pay-out-of-pocket lab and spend about 32 dollars to monitor my TSH because in Florida it's easier than going through a doctor and getting an Rx and going to a stupid lab like Quest and then having to wait to hear back from the doc's office and hoping my insurance pays the expensive lab bill.   Patients really have no decent rights here!  

I didn't know I even had that option.  I will have to ask about the antibody test.  I had two endocrinologists tell me that my symptoms were in-line with hypothyroidism, but they wouldn't/couldn't treat since my blood tests showed otherwise.  This was about four years ago, it was exceptionally frustrating.

 

I had to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist before I got pregnant to unblock my tubes.  I wonder if maybe he'd be a better option if I start feel crappy again?

 

Thanks for all your responses ladies!


demeter888's Avatar demeter888 02:12 PM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetumTiger View Post

I didn't know I even had that option.  I will have to ask about the antibody test.  I had two endocrinologists tell me that my symptoms were in-line with hypothyroidism, but they wouldn't/couldn't treat since my blood tests showed otherwise.  This was about four years ago, it was exceptionally frustrating.

 

I had to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist before I got pregnant to unblock my tubes.  I wonder if maybe he'd be a better option if I start feel crappy again?

 

Thanks for all your responses ladies!

 

With your history I think your endo is a great person to keep in mind.  

 

Also the labs I've used in Michigan and Fl are Granite Diagnostic Labs and Any Lab Test Now (hard to find online but ask around or maybe GPS it if having trouble find one where you are).  Granite is better, but any walk-in lab is good.


Up