PPD or PPA around 6-8 Months or right before return of fertility? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, so this is my second baby and I'm about 8 months postpartum now. About six weeks ago I started feeling depressed and then that turned into panic attacks. I haven't started my cycle again, but last time I started again right at six months pp. I can vaguely remember having some anxiety come up right before I started cycling again (like a month or so before), but I don't remember exactly how that all lined up. In any case, it's much worse this time compared with last time.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience with getting ppa or ppd right before the return of fertility?

I should also add that my ppa has been more than just anxiety and panic attacks and is actually similar to hyperthyroid symptoms, but when I had my thyroid levels checked everything was within the normal range.

I would appreciate hearing what anyone thinks...

#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Bumping up for input. Anyone have advice to share?

#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

You might also try posting your offer in our Trading Post forum. :)

#4 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi violet, I had significant PPA around 6-9 months PP with my DD (my first kiddo). My anxiety stemmed from worries about her development (some were founded, some not). Anyhoo, I am a public health worker and happened to attend a conference where one of the foremost researchers in PPA/PPD presented. She said that PPA/PPD is acutally MOST common in women with children in the 6-12 month range. She attributed it to moms sort of not knowing "what to do" at this stage as your responsibilities are very clear-cut early on (feeding, changing, sleeping) and again more clear as your kiddo ages up past 12 months (as they typically are able to communicate their needs a little easier once they are greater than a year). I found this very interesting. I also wondered if my PPA was related to the return of my cycle, but then found that not to be true as my LO is going on 15 months and I've just had my first period (which I think was anovulatory). However, I'm sure that some of hormones were cycling around this time and could account for some of the PPA I was having. I have heard others report that their PPA/PPD resolved once their periods returned. I would recommend the website post partum progress (I forget the website, but you can google). It is great and full of very helpful info. Best!

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
#5 of 6 Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I've pretty consistently had pretty intense symptoms about 2 months before cycles return. I've sort of wondered if its like, my body is deciding, "okay, its time to get on with this ovulation business" and starts producing the hormones and "tries" to ovulate a few times before being actually successful in ovulating. (I have weeks of ewcm before first pp ovulation) then maybe all those hormones just kinda messes with me? I do tend to feel more stable once af is back. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 6 Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your replies. Very interesting about the 6-12 month thing, sierra, it's affirming to hear that i'm not a total anomaly! it did seem like a lot of the stuff I was seeing about ppd was specifically about the baby blues in the first couple of weeks just not going away.

and lilstar, thanks for sharing your experience too! I am hoping that things will make a turn around for me when my cycle comes back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page