seek help or not - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had my second child 5 weeks ago...first week home was great. I enjoyed every diaper change...every wake in the middle of the night, all of it. Going into the second week seemed as everything changed. Felt as though I wasn't getting any help from the father (really wasn't) and I became really aggravated and stressed out. We started fighting a lot and now he has left. I'm now a single mother of two who cannot sleep at night or day no matter how tired I am. Complete insomnia. I'm worry about everything all the time from big things to small. Don't eat but maybe once a day...just not hungry or ill simply forget to do so. Iv lost about 30 pounds since birth (not complaining) having a hard time remembering things...big to small. Feeling sad and scared...I catch myself checking doors at night r times before laying down to bed...and then locking my bedroom door on top of that. I catch myself having random sad and scary thoughts of myself dying...my baby dying. Dont take that the wrong way-I would never hurt myself or the baby...the thoughts are more of other people doing them (scared of someone breaking in...being murdered or the baby dying of sids) iv been getting irritated easily with everything it seems including with my first child who's 5 and dosnt deserve being yelled at for simply wanting attention. Dont really know what to do with any of this...if I should jusy go about my normal activities and deal with it or if its more than what I bring myself to accept....looking for advice
#2 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

I should also add how jumpy I am...I guess with my nerves worked up the way they are I jump at the drop of a dime and iv never been the o e to scare easy.
#3 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Do you have any family or friends you can ask for help? I'd mention it to your doc at your 6 week appointment and be sure to tell him/her you are worried. You've got a lot on your plate right now and need some help!! Hugs and good luck!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#4 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if this is depression...just the normal stress if being a new mom n alone or what. I have my dad and his wife here although I don't like sharing my issues with them because my dad worries way too much about me and if I did open up about it all it would almost be smothering and they would just try getting me to move back home. I don't normally talk about my feelings so openly. Iv got way too much pride and on top of that I don't feel like being around anyone.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think that help from family and friends is the first place to start. Or maybe a postpartum moms group? I agree that you could mention it to your care provider at the six week visit.

I've had some similar feelings, although I'm about nine months postpartum now and they started around 7 months, especially with the fears about my own death and baby. It seems like that's a big thing with postpartum mood issues, so you're not alone in that. I realized that I needed to be getting a lot more help and making sure to meet my own needs too. So reaching out and getting help from people I know really helped a lot. If you get more concerned about how you're feeling, you can always get professional help too.

A few things that really helped a lot were talking with other adults about my life and what was stressing me out (birth experience, things that had been building up since pregnancy). Taking a milky oats tincture really helped calm my nerves a lot (they had felt really raw, like I was way more jumpy and sensitive even to minor stresses like DS1 whining). The other really big thing was getting more sleep.

Hope that helps. It sounds like your situation is really challenging and it's a lot to cope with! It also sounds like you're a really strong mama.

#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

After my last post, I was thinking about this again and I realized that I left out the most important part of what has helped me....

Feeling SAFE. Once I started to do anything and everything I could that made me feel safe and comforted, I was able to relax and get rest and start coming back into balance. Seriously, no matter how ridiculous it felt like at the time, I would do it. Crawling back into bed in the middle of the day, just letting myself cry when I needed to, asking for comforting touch from anyone who was around...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page