PP OCD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone here ever suffered from PP OCD?

I will just open up with this...

I have very close family members who are extremely mentally ill. The idea of mental illness terrifies me. So when I was about 6-7 months pregnant with DS (who is now 9 mos) and had invasive thoughts, I squashed them (my ability to talk myself through them makes me think that I have/had a very mild case of PPOCD). I agonized a bit over whether I was a bad person or not. It was a dark, horrible time. I remember having such awful, terrible, horrific invasive thoughts that were nothing like the person I thought I was. I was single, living alone with a two year old, unemployed and financially unstable, and a full time student. The stress was horrible. My ex (who I am now working things out with) was just... gone. He is a recovering addict but was in full blown addiction at that time. Anyway, I just kept truckin', hoping either things would get better or I'd learn to cope.

I stumbled on a thread about PP OCD one night and it was like a prayer answered. I broke down in tears and suddenly it made sense - it wasn't me! I'm not an evil person. I'm not a bad person. These thoughts weren't my own. I also wasn't schizophrenic, like I worried. With that knowledge alone, I've been overcoming things slowly. I haven't gotten the guts to call about low income counseling. I know I need to because once in a while, I will have an invasive thought that just makes me cringe and reminds me of such a painful time (usually when I'm extremely stressed out).

I just wanted to know if any other mama's here had any experiences with this, or if they are seeing something else in this post I should look into. I am much, much better than I was six months ago and feel like I can be okay without outside help, but at the same time... I think I want a therapist. I'm just not very sure on how to approach that. I feel like a wimp, weakling, sissy everytime I try to reach out for professional help. 

I've admitted this to two close friends and my mom, but I've never divulged details. I've never heard a voice telling me what to do, or anything like that.

Agh, I feel so dumb posting this but... maybe I'll get some support..

#2 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Posting to bump your thread . . . and give you a virtual hug.  

Hopefully people with more experience will post soon.  All I know is it takes a lot of bravery to ask for help when you need it.  I hope you find a good therapist who helps you feel like they are supporting what you need.  This is not handing yourself over into someone else's control, but seeking professional support to help you feel how you want to feel and live how you want to live.  

Sending lots of good wishes!

#3 of 10 Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Me!!!   I suffered through terrible, horrible invasive thoughts.    They ranged from being schizophrenic, doing horrible things to my kids, fearing I could have hurt someone and not remember, to thinking that my drink was contaminated.

I found the most relief from the book call The Happiness Trap and the supplements Inositol and Sunflower Lecithin. 

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#4 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I could have written this too. I also have mental illness in my family and have severe anxiety over getting a bad mental illness from having ppd ppa. It's one of my huge triggers. I hate worrying about it, it sucks the joy from my life. How do you cope?
#5 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Also, tree hugging mama, how did lecithin help you overcome such difficult thoughts? I've heard Of inositol. I'm better than I was but I have flare ups and I'm so tired of it.
#6 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM

It made me feel less anxious.  It worked within a couple hours.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#7 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mome View Post

I could have written this too. I also have mental illness in my family and have severe anxiety over getting a bad mental illness from having ppd ppa. It's one of my huge triggers. I hate worrying about it, it sucks the joy from my life. How do you cope?

I don't know. I just kind of accepted that if it ends up that I am schizophrenic (which I doubt, when I'm being rational, but when I worry I can become very hypochondriac-like and point out a million reasons I probably am) there is nothing I can do to change that, and I will just cope. I love my family member who is severely mentally ill with all of my heart. It breaks my heart when she is zoned out on meds or not feeling great.

I also throw myself into my life instead of agonizing over mental illness (especially with the invasive thoughts). I mentally say, "STOP. This is not you. You are not a bad person. Now move on." and it WORKS - it took a few weeks because I thought it would NOT work, but it does. Amazingly.

I also talk about it a bit with my partner. He's not very supportive because he's dealing with his own issues and I think, honestly, he thinks that if I was unable to be the primary caretaker/breadwinner for the kids, he would not be able to handle the pressure. I hope that we can talk that out some more, soon, but he is going through recovery for an opiate addiction and I'm just not sure how to bring up my own issues which are abstract when his are so concrete and current.

#8 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginmama View Post

It made me feel less anxious.  It worked within a couple hours.

Where do you buy it? Are there side effects?

#9 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginmama View Post

They ranged from being schizophrenic, doing horrible things to my kids, fearing I could have hurt someone and not remember, to thinking that my drink was contaminated.

That's me, definitely. 

Hugs, mama. I'm so glad you found what works for you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, ever.

#10 of 10 Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Gracelove, that sounds like a good coping technique, kind of like cbt. I have yet to really tackle this fear effectively with techniques like this but I know it could be helpful if I put my mind to it. This is a scary place to be because of the trauma from seeing a family member suffer and now questioning if that could happen to me, it's downright frightening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page