Zoloft... anyone else - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At 3 months postpartum after experiencing 3 months of depression when I should be happy.... I finally caved and asked my GYN (who is the wife of my husband's friend, and a mother herself, and I TRUST) for anti-depressants that are safe for breastfeeding in a low dose. It's now been one week of taking 25 mg of zoloft and I feel like a normal person- I know they say it takes 4-6 weeks to really feel the full effect but I swear i was feeling better on day 3. The intrusive depressing thoughts are decreasing, and I feel stable and normal and better able to take care of my baby, her crying doesn't spiral me into depression, I RARELY think of the traumatic birth and spiral into a depression and when i do I'm not emotionally effected by it. The only thing is that I've been feeling nauseous and dizzy and a little more anxious (like while driving or in crowded places) and that started on day 3 of taking it as well... normal? My baby has also been acting more fussy as of 2 days ago, but she's also almost 12 weeks and I suspect has a minor cold/ear infection because she's had a stuffy nose and has been spitting up a lot and batting at her ears- probably just a coincidence with the starting of zoloft. My doctor showed me her books and research on zoloft with breastfeeding and said that it had extremely minor to undetectable amounts in the baby, and that the low dose I'm on would NOT affect her at all. Anyone else taking zoloft and breastfeeding? having side effects ? Does it affect your baby?

#2 of 9 Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm taking Zoloft and it's pretty amazing. I didn't have any negative affects, aside from slight nausea, when I first started taking it. If you're feeling anxiety though, you should talk to your doctor about possibly taking a different anti-depressant or changing your dosage.

#3 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm not taking Zoloft, I read this because I was curious about your experience and I'm glad that it sounds like its working for you. :)

Quote:
 ~~My baby has also been acting more fussy as of 2 days ago, but she's also almost 12 weeks and I suspect has a minor cold/ear infection because she's had a stuffy nose and has been spitting up a lot and batting at her ears-

I did have a though about this which is that you baby could be teething/pre-teething. DS spit up more when he was teething because he was swallowing all of the extra saliva.

#4 of 9 Old 05-31-2014, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No one knows the long term effects of taking antidepressants has on your child while breastfeeding. It's a chance you take. I guess you outweigh the pros and cons. Good luck.
#5 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post
No one knows the long term effects of taking antidepressants has on your child while breastfeeding. It's a chance you take. I guess you outweigh the pros and cons. Good luck.
It's unfortunately true, try to make the most informed decision you can.
#6 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I suffered with undetected PPD, which morphed into regular /major depression, for 3 years. Because of it I was not a great mother. Not even a good mother many days. Getting help was the best thing I ever did. I'm on Lexapro generic & it might be the best decision I ever made for my family. I wasn't nursing when I started but I'm on it now & pregnant. It is a little worrisome but necessary for us.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#7 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Question anyone try Mucuna?

Has anyone here tried Mucuna instead of Zoloft or to wean off of anti-depressants. My neighbor said she finally got off of meds after 2 years of trying. Took her about 3 weeks of Mucuna...she said something about Keter Wellness and L-DOPA. I tried to comprehend through her crazy excitement.
#8 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
No never tried any of that ^^. But, I am considering Zoloft as it supposed to be the safest with nursing. I'm trying therapeutic lifestyle stuff first: probiotics, fish oil, sunshine, exercise (when I can), good nutrition, sleep , etc, in addition to Chinese herbs my accupuncture dr recommended. If all else fails tho, I'm going to have to try the Zoloft, because my brain is not in a good place now following DS's birth.
#9 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Everything has risks. Natural herbs even have risks that haven't been studied in lactation. However, many many women have taken them while bf without any problem. It's a cost/benefit issues. Mental health is important. Trust me when I say that it can turn dangerous or you can lose years where you could have been a happy mother there for your children. Sometimes antidepressants are the right choice. For me, it turned my ppd around almost immediately. Every day I am mad at myself that I waited too long to get help. Hang in there, mama!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page