PPD setting in at 5 months post partum....even though I am already on meds. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So, I have a history of depression and anxiety long before I had kids. It was always pretty well controlled with meds. (Prozac and then zoloft after having kids and nursing ect.). I have tried twice to wean off of meds and use natural remedies but it does NOT work for me. I downward spiral pretty fast and cannot function at all. I just had my third baby. I had horrible PPD with my first but I was off my meds (under the direction of my OB-gyn who was promptly fired). My second child I did much better. But with #3, at 5 months and no discontinuity in my medication I am really feeling terrible. We have had a lot of changes lately (we moved a year and a half ago) and it is winter which isn't helping but despite continuing with my zoloft, AND doing placenta capsules I am feeling worse and worse. I have good days and bad days but the bad days are getting more frequent. Things are otherwise good with life in general. DD3 is an easy happy baby, I am sleeping ok, financially we are ok, relationship with DH is great. Having 3 at 6 yo and under is hard for sure though but I was able to handle things much better a couple of months ago than I am now. I saw a new doctor who I really liked and is trying to work with me to get this straightened out. He is recommending therapy to supplement medication but since I am nursing there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there besides zoloft. I really really really do NOT want to wean to switch meds, but on the other hand I can't go on feeling like this. Does anyone else have any experience with this regarding a delayed onset of PPD which isn't responding to medication that was working before?

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#2 of 4 Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't had your experience specifically but I do have some suggestions that might help. Beside your partner do you have a support system? Friends and other family can be so wonderfully helpful during your post partum time. Provided you a break, doing some little errands and jobs (with your approval)  and supporting you emotionally. Also eating super healthy, getting enough protein, outside time and good healthy break time are really important.

Love and support to you.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 4 Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, have you checked out postpartum progress? This is an amazing site and there is a private forum for ppd and lots of women who have much experience and insight.
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. What finally worked is super slow tapper off Rx with guidance from doctor. See a Orthmolcule doctor start vitamins minerals and probotic while tappering on a good Dr approved therpy. Use good quality omega 3 and probotic. Don't use vitamins with copper. Cut back on sugar breads milk and processed foods. Remember the stomach is the second brain....you must get your bowels healthy. Look up Gaps diet and Peters Promise and Beyond Meds. Under stressed the body needs more nutrients. You are stressed but you do not have to be in crisis mode .....help get your adrenaline down naturally and meet your nutrient needs see the right doctors.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page