PPD and 5-HTP and lactation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read all the posts and website out here about the safety of 5-HTP while breastfeeding, so the safety issue is not what I'm wondering about.

Has anyone experienced the suppression of lactation while taking it? I am struggling to produce enough- I pump exclusively, so I know how much I make at each pumping.  I can't function without my 5-HTP, but it seems to be affecting my milk supply.  Anyone else have this happen?  I wish I could switch to formula at this point, but my baby is severely allergic to dairy and soy.  I'm feeling pretty trapped :/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-19-2014, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Did you come up with any solution? In your shoes, I would probably talk to a lactation consultant. But you're probably worried about what they'd tell you about the 5-HTP use . . . ?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 3 Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm guessing that most people breastfeed normally and don't know exactly how many ounces of milk they produce.  They nurse on demand, like I used to be able to do, and know that their bodies will make sufficient milk as long as the baby gets to nurse for as long as they need. 

I decided that the stress of not producing enough milk made the 5-HTP irrelevant and I am happier knowing that my bottles are overflowing.  Any time I feel funky, I will take one dose.  But I prefer giving myself a pep talk and admiring my milk supply... *chuckle*  So I've been "off" the 5-HTP and instead of pumping every two hours and only getting 2-4 ounces, I pump three or four times in a 24 hour period and produce 40 to 50 ounces.

For some reason, knowing that I'm not going to run out of food cheers me up immensely! I guess food for my whole family is a mood trigger...hmmm... I just figured this out about myself!  I'm a genius! Hahaha!

Turquesa likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page