PPD and PPA + insomnia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-03-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did anyone experience insomnia after childbirth? not right away but about 7-8 months after baby was born? I've been on my own in this sleepless journey and now I'm not sleeping like before.. I'll sleep at 10 and wake up at 2:30 and not sleep again...I've also developed anxiety and am trying to control it, i started with a psychologist but i feel like all she's telling me is what I tell myself to "help myself"...I'm feeling like my depression is getting worse...I have no family or friends and its hard with my husband who is always working (although he started helping out a lot lately). Does anyone have any advice for me? i'm feeling alone in this issue and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

#2 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Insomnia can definitely be caused by PPA/D, and exacerbate it.  Have you spoken to your OB or GP about this?  

I have long standing issues with depression and anxiety, and I have a tendency to post-partum anxiety.  I sometimes take benadryl to fall asleep (obvs not when bedsharing) because in my experience, the insomnia just makes the anxiety worse.  But I would talk to you doctor, especially if you feel the psychologist isn't helping.  In addition, it sounds like you don't have a lot of support in your life, and that absolutely will exacerbate postpartum mood issues.  Can you work with your psychologist to develop a plan to increase the level of support in your life?

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#3 of 5 Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

Insomnia can definitely be caused by PPA/D, and exacerbate it.  

Very true! I had a rough time with PPA/D. What helped me was a very high Vit B complex, creating an attainable routine, and venturing out with my LO.

Fisher Family posted some excellent advice here:
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1401809/trying-to-be-proactive

Are you BF-ing?
And does your nightly routine have stimulus in it that you might consider changing? TV time, computer, etc...
#4 of 5 Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM

Hi, I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was a child. After the birth of my first son my anxiety got much worse and I develop bad insomnia and PPD. I was so scared of not sleeping and then not being able to take care of my baby, or scared I would go crazy through lack of sleep. It took time for me to get through it, but I did. I was prescribed 30mg of citalopram anti depressant and diazepam to ease the anxiety. I was also given zoplicone tablets to help me sleep and to break the cycle of not sleeping. I was hesitant at first to take the medication but this was crucial to help me break the cycle and turn the corner. I was also referred for CBT therapy which really helped me to understand that I didn't need 8 hours of unbroken sleep to survive and take care of my children, and that we can live our lives on very little sleep and still function, this helped me to challenge my negative thoughts about the impact of not sleeping. I cannot stress enough the importance of seeking treatment as soon as possible, it took time but with the combination of medication and therapy I got through it and back to my normal self. Another thing which helped me get through the days before the treatment kicked in was to establish a routine, get up at the same time every day even if you are shattered, plan each day and get outside as much as you can, have a task to do each day to focus your thoughts. I still go through anxious periods and the insomnia will raise its ugly head again but I have learned to recognise it and manage it. . A saying which I said to myself each day was 'Every day, in every way I am getting better and better'. It doesn't happen overnight but it is beatable and you will sleep like you did before.
#5 of 5 Old 05-31-2014, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the same problem except I have panic attacks from lack of sleep and high anxiety. 3 years hardly no sleep it stopped after I stopped breastfeeding. If I start meds, can it be short term? Morrison7627 are you off meds now after the meds helped break the bad cycle?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page