Would CPS be called? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-17-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Would CPS be called?

Hi everyone. Long story short, I have 13 month old twins and am (unexpectedly) pregnant again. I was on meds for ppd/ppa, but cannot take them now as I am pregnant (from what my doctors told me, as well as my own research. I was told 2nd trimester use would be ok, but not encouraged unless you were acutely suicidal or unable to function). Anyway, I am considering seeing a therapist for depression, anxiety, and anger management. I am worried that, if I told a therapist that I have had urges to slap or spank my kids (that I have NEVER acted upon), the therapist would contact CPS. If you have any experiences with this issue, please pm me or post here. I am going through a very hard time now, and want to be proactive and get the help I need BEFORE things get really bad. I am looking for some support, and am requesting positive feedback, please. Thanks in advance.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband, mother of ( June '09), two (July '13), and a little due March '15. hopeful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
My experience with therapists is that if they think your kids are in danger, they have to call CPS, but that they aren't going to think that kids are in danger from a parent who reports being tempted to slap or spank. I think most therapists would be really unlikely to call CPS even if you came in and admitted that you lost control and slapped a child and you need help to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Anger management is a very common issue for parents. Children don't stop being needy just because you're at your limit, and they don't stop pushing the boundaries just because you can't take any more. So therapists see a lot of parents who want help processing the emotions that their kids bring up (lots of us have baggage from our own childhoods that we only see when our kids remind us of it), and putting together strategies for remaining calm and reasonable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page