Depression started in pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2002, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started feeling sorta "lifeless" when I was pregnant with my now 20 mth old dd. I attributed it to the circumstances I was in- major Loser boyfriend, I was 18, definitely unplanned pregnancy! And then when dd was born, I didn't have any "baby blues", instead I actually had "baby highs"! Lol. I felt pretty good for the first few weeks, maybe even 2-3 mths, I can't remember exactly. I left dd's father 17 mths ago, have a good life, a fairly promising future, excellent family support (my mom was an LLL leader and I am living with them, but not for long b/c they are going to buy a house for me, dd, and my brother to live in!) So, I feel like life is going pretty darn well, EXCEPT... I feel like I take 1 step forward ant 2 back. I keep thinking I will pull myself out of this funk I am in, and yet it never quite happens. I just don't feel like myself. I often blame on that I am getting used to being a mom, after going directly from party mode to mom-to-be.
I do not have some of the typical depression symptoms, like insomina or sleeping too much (though I have had problems with not being able to sleep, just not right now), or eating a lot or not eating a lot, feeling lifeles,etc. But I do not feel happy, ever. I act happy and feel *almost* happy, but it's like I can only get so far before I hit this brick wall. I can totally function, but I wake up feeling hopeless more often than not.
And, the big kicker that made me come here is that my parenting is going to crap. I have been feeling edgy more and more everyday, snapping at dd or dealing out unfair treatment more than I wanna admit. So, this is where I stop! I always thought I could control my own feelings better, rather than having to go on meds, but now I think going on meds for a few months may help me regain my old self, and then maybe I won't need them?!
Can anti-depressants help even if you don't fit the exact category of depresses? Or maybe I do? What kind of Dr do you go to? I need to go to my gynecologist soon, can she give me info/prescribe meds? Thanks for your help!
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2002, 10:08 PM

I don't know the answers to all your questions--
I just wanted to offer support and sympathy.
I went on Paxil a couple years ago, just for six months, and it lifted me out of my dark pit enough to concentrate on getting things together. Then I didn't need it anymore (though I might now.. since I am struggling with depression again.)

Maybe you could talk to a counselor first and see a doctor.. either an internist or even a psychiatrist who knows about these medications.. you want to make sure you are getting something appropriate.. not just having any old MD write out a prescription, kwim?

Anyway, I just wanted to send my support and empathy.

Shoshana
Old 06-20-2002, 01:07 AM

Nanner, I was just compelled to reply to your question as I seem to be suffering from pp depression, too. My son is seven months old, perfectly happy and healthy, and is such a good boy but I just can't seem to snap out of this blue mood I've been in for months. I had no idea ppd could last this long. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I try my best to see all the happiness I have but any sad news, especially involving children, just sets my mood for days and there's little I can do to stop it.

If it helps you at all, I think you're probably doing pretty well for a young mother - much better than I would have done at your age. I give you a ton of credit, that's for sure. You're lucky to have such a great family and such a good head on shoulders!
Old 06-20-2002, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eileen
My son is seven months old, perfectly happy and healthy, and is such a good boy but I just can't seem to snap out of this blue mood I've been in for months. I had no idea ppd could last this long. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I try my best to see all the happiness I have but any sad news, especially involving children, just sets my mood for days and there's little I can do to stop it.

eileen,

Yes, this is par for the course with PPD. I could not even read something sad in a novel without feeling devestated! Have you checked out the site I put in a sticky post at the top of the forum?
Old 06-21-2002, 03:39 PM

I'm 19 months postpartum, and still struggling!

I do have a history of depression and anorexia, but I had really been feeling that I had put all of that behind me. Being pregnant was a rollercoaster emotionally, and then as soon as dd was born, I've been spiraling downward again.

Get help. At the very least, figure out a way to have time to yourself on a regular basis. Or see a counselor. Plug in to a regular time to do something active or artsy or both. See an acupuncturist- they can really work wonders.

Get help. I wasted so much time trying to not think about this stuff, and just this week did I make an appointment to talk to someone! I actually didn't know what I was going to say when I got there, until we sat down and all of this STUFF came pouring out.

Make yourself a priority.

We can get through this!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

User Tag List