Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Betseyjane

#1 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this Postpartum stuff?

I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but I have extreme worry about my 4 month old having autism. To the point that I can't even see straight. He (baby boy=higher risk of autism) was born after a complicated pregnancy (risk factor), DH and I are nearing 40 (risk factor), I was induced, with plenty of pitocin (risk factor) & when he was born he has a high pitched cry (there was a well ventilated story about this in the media around 2012). So in my mind, it all adds up to a for-sure case of autism. Now, nevermind that baby is doing what he should at this age (smiling, cooing, etc). Nor can anyone detect autism in a four month old! Also, nevermind that if this baby did have autism we would do whatever we needed to do for him to reach his full potential. But this is making me nuts. Could this be a postpartum mood issue? I think about it a lot & it really makes me sad that I'm not enjoying this little one.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I can't say if it is a postpartum mood thing for sure, but I know that I went through a similar experience after having my children. I found relief in talking about it with someone, especially someone I know IRL. Also, I found that reminding myself as often as possible all the rational and logical reasons why *the fear* is unfounded helped too. If he did ave autism, what could you do at this point? You are talking about risk factors, not anything real. So if it were me, I would recognize the fear of the possibility and then accept that for now, you will not know and release that fear. If he does show signs when he's older, you can easily get him tested and deal with it THEN. Until that day let it be. I hope this helps.
#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
This absolutely could be a post-partum mood issue - it's severe anxiety that resists reality checks. Please talk to your doctor about it as soon as possible.
#4 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I agree with the pp. It does seem like it could be related to postpartum anxiety. Hope you get the help you need & can enjoy your LO!
#5 of 6 Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all who have replied. And lala, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's hard to find people IRL who can understand (as opposed to thinking I've lost my mind) but I do at least have my mom & brother who I can talk to. I also saw my PCP and she suggested Zoloft, which I haven't started yet but pick up today. Dr also suggested cbt , so I am going over the list she gave me & hoping for someone who will take my insurance. Thank you all!
#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5785420.html

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page