Self Defeating Behavior - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-17-2004, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody else have trouble "remembering" to do things like take medication and going to bed? I can't explain it. I feel OK, and then I don;t take the meds for a week, and then it all hits the fan and I feel awful. Even writing it, I know it sounds stupid. It's not that hard to take the medicine.
Going to bed- it's 1 am and I am still up. Why? I don't know, except that it's the only time someone isn't hanging on me, sucking on me, or talking to me.
Eating- yesterday by noon all I had eaten was a handful of lemon pez.
I don;t know why I am acting so stupid. Why is there such a gap between what I need to do, and doing it? Am I just being stupid and lazy?

Sigh.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 6 Old 08-17-2004, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

100% understand where you are, but no advice.

#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2004, 04:36 AM

Ugh. ITU. I am a master procrastinator, so that's factored in, too. What helps me is to set ONE goal per day...when I was really bad it was to take a shower. Or make one phone call. I still do that...I kind of focus my day around that one goal, whatever it may be...make dinner, call the ins., do a load of laundry. Just one goal. Sometimes I get it done and am motivated to do a ton of other things, other times I don't even get the one thing done, so the next day I try again or move on. Sometimes writing all the things down helps since I'm worrying about it...even if it doesn't get me to do the things it still feels good to get it out. Oh, and routines help as far as medication and eating...but yeah, I had a hard time "remembering" meds, too. I truly do not understand self-defeating behaviour, it makes us feel worse etc. etc. but we still do it! Just like I have an OCD habit I hate but I keep doing it, doesn't make any sense.

Good luck! My goal for tomorrow is to make it to a rehearsal at 5:30 pm. What's yours?

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#4 of 6 Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 AM

I can empathize completely. This is the most frustrating aspect of the struggle for me. I feel like I can't help myself get better. The depression actually keeps me from doing the things that will make me feel better. I have been better about taking my omega-3 supplement, only because I put a bottle in practically every room in the house :LOL

I love the idea of making one goal for each day. That way when I actually get a load of laundry done I can feel a sense of accomplishment. I can't wait to try this. I think I will also make a list of all the little things I get done each day so that I can concentrate on what I have accomplished rather than what is left to do.

Now I feel like I'm hijacking your thread I just wanted to say that I feel exactly the same way.

Just try to take it one minute at a time.

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :
#5 of 6 Old 08-18-2004, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's the bad part about depression. It robs you from the enegy you know you need to do the things you know you need to do! It's so hard exercising, making the bed, taking meds, eating, etc. I try and sit down on Sunday and do some planning for the week. I find that if I have some goals set up, it makes things easier. And I try and cook extra food so I'll have leftovers that I can eat when I don't feel like cooking. It's hard to find motivation. I just try and focus on how great I feel when I DO take care of myself. Good luck and hugs!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#6 of 6 Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank youi all for your notes. My goal for the week is to remember to take the Zoloft.
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page