a true natural remedy? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 650 Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautmama
Hey everyone. I haven't been on in a while but decided to pop in and see what was new... I don't remember if I already posted about this but I recently had a neurotransmitter test done and based on my results I should get an amino acid blend. The test was based on urine, does anyone know if this is as accurate as a blood sample? Anyway, the cost was less than I expected (118.00) and 50.00 to begin the program. It's called Neurogistics and it sounds really good, I mean by the testimonials. I think the nutritionist heading all this up had ppd also. Anyway, here's the website if anyones interested. Have a good daywww.neurogistics.com
Interesting that you posted this. I've been thinking that this is work I would like to do. I just don't want to go back to school to become a nutritionist!

I think it's time that I get my levels tested so I can see what it is I really need at this point. I got a lead on a practioner close to me at a good clinic so I think it's time for me to get saliva, blood and urine tests. I also want a relationship with someone who knows me and my issues so I can get ongoing help.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#302 of 650 Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 AM

I thought this might be a good place to ask, I was wondering if anyone had tried or heard of 5-HTP? I saw it here
It sounds kind of interesting wanted to see if I could get any personal feedback from anyone about it?
#303 of 650 Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 AM

Kat...do share your local lead with me..via pm..perhaps..hehe
#304 of 650 Old 07-24-2006, 01:18 PM

I am such a dork. Ignore my earlier attempts.

There is plenty about 5-HTP in prior posts on this thread. It was too strong for me, so I now take tryptophan.
#305 of 650 Old 07-30-2006, 04:44 PM

:
#306 of 650 Old 07-31-2006, 02:50 PM

just an update on my testing, it turns out I'm low in seratonin, dopamine, epinephrine and high in GABA. Thats 4 out of 5 that i was tested for. The only thing that was ok was my noripinephrine. That explains a lot! I didn't realize it till now that I have more anxiety than i thought, I just thought when I got that "weird" feeling it was depression but now I see the difference. Well I'll keep updating after I order my supplements ------ohyah they recommended something called travacor (for low tryptophan) and adrecor (for the GABA)----does anyone know the difference between this and 5-htp and L-tyrosine.?Thanks all!
#307 of 650 Old 08-08-2006, 07:51 PM

I have two questions about inositol:
So, my actual question is: will taking inositol hurt me if I don't actually have PPD? I bought some figuring it was worth a shot.
I think I probably have PPD, but haven't been diagnosed by anyone official. I was suspicious that I might on and off since ds was born. Reading this thread, I got more suspicious. The other day when we were at church, and I took ds into the bathroom to change his very poopy dipe, and it was leaking out onto his back. And I just felt like bursting into tears, or screaming, or both. And then I thought, ok, this is just not normal to be this upset over something so insignificant.

Do you take the whole dose at once, or spread it out throughout the day?
#308 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM

http://www.alternativementalhealth.c...es/default.htm

This site had lots of articles about treating emotional problems using "Natural" methods, including some articles by Julia Ross.

Great thread! I love it.
#309 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM

Found through Sarah's link:
"It turns out that anorectic starvation, like bulimic vomiting and binging, is a traumatic experience that can stimulate a deep survival mechanism; the release of endorphins, the powerful, natural druglike chemicals that allow us to experience pleasure. They also kill pain and ease stress. If your body has become addicted to these natural opiates and you resume normal healthy eating, you will miss the endorphin highs. ... This obsessive behavior is actually caused by nutritional deficiencies - which, thankfully, we now know how to address."
-Julia Ross

Thank you.

The Mood Cure didn't address anorexia directly, that I remember, so I am so glad to see it's in the Diet Cure.

ETA: I just realized my quote was waaaay too long to comply with the UA.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#310 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

My m/w told me yesterday that I can't take 5 HTP when pregnant. She uped my fish oil vitamins. I don't know if I can swallow all those pills right now.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#311 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 PM

umm..I think that katsg took the 5htp while pregnant..not sure....
#312 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

It is safe but *can* affect prolactin levels. Practitioners generally agree that it's safer than meds, but if you can do things dietarily that's the best route. Depends on how severe your depression is. I know many practitioners that use it and advocate it's use in pregnancy. Check with an ND...a MW isn't always the best person for supplement and herbal advice.
#313 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Yes, I did take 5-HTP while pregnant and didn't have any issues. Baby is happy and alert and very calm and smiley. Interesting what you say about prolactin levels...my supply seems a little sporadic, as is my 5-HTP intake. It's never too little milk, if anything it's at times too much, but it is kind of all over the place. I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
So, my actual question is: will taking inositol hurt me if I don't actually have PPD? I bought some figuring it was worth a shot.
I did work with a practitioner at first to get a diganosis, but he mostly went by symptoms, diet and some other tecniques that applied kinesiologists do. He was fine, but I didn't have faith in his methods. I also briefly consulted with a naturopath when I first got pregnant to make sure it was okay to take what I was taking. Now that I'm postpartum and have other issues to address (healing muscles, nursing) I'm searching for another practitioner. I may go back to the naturopath but I want someone who specializes in women and pregnancy/postpartum issues.

That said, I don't think inositol will hurt you if you take the recommended amounts. I would just make sure your partner/husband and some friends know you're taking it and ask them for any feedback in your behavior so you know if it's turning into a problem. And, of course, listen to how it makes your body feel.

#314 of 650 Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG
That said, I don't think inositol will hurt you if you take the recommended amounts. I would just make sure your partner/husband and some friends know you're taking it and ask them for any feedback in your behavior so you know if it's turning into a problem. And, of course, listen to how it makes your body feel.
Is there a problem that we might expect? Being too calm? And recommended dose is 12 grams?
#315 of 650 Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 PM

:

Here's hoping I won't need any of this, but just in case.

Forewarned is forearmed, or however that goes......

Thanks to everyone for sharing!
#316 of 650 Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM

I just got the Mood Cure from the library and have been experimenting with some of the aminos recommended. I slept better last night than I had in a long while using the GABA and the tryptophan! I'm also eliminating sugar and trying to eat more protein. My mind feels clearer already and I only started yesterday!
#317 of 650 Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 PM

:
#318 of 650 Old 09-08-2006, 01:19 PM

I just bought The Mood Cure, and from the sounds of the questionaires and following chapters, I need 5-HTP and GABA. So, I started last night with the smallest dosing of both. I'm going to keep that up for a week and see how it goes (before deciding if I need to up my dosage). I'm also taking a coenzymated (sp?) B-complex. I'm hoping this is the key as the feeling of overwhelmed-ness was getting huge ... yesterday was a really bad, crying day ... and I want to be happy and enjoy raising my little spirited boys.

Oh, and I've also begun Eat Fat, Lose Fat, which has totally killed my sugar/starch/carb cravings, which is really helpful too. So, in addition to the above, I take high-vitamin CLO, lots of coconut oil, raw milk/kefir, butter, and other healthy good fats, and try to get in a couple egg yolks each day. I'm working on eliminating as much junk as we can (in terms really of eating out, which is getting harder to do). And I take 600-1000mg of magnesium a day (depending on how much milk/yogurt/cheese I've had that day and really based on how I'm feeling ... I can tell when my stores are depleted), and I'm uping my vitamin C intake (using acerola powder, but equalling probably 4000mg or more).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#319 of 650 Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM

With the Mood Cure, I started at the high doses and then over the months I've worked my way down. I'm SO grateful I found out about this book on MDC! It's really changed things around here. I fit the first three profiles so I'm on a lot of stuff but it's so worth it. I felt a tiny bit better that day, but it took about 2 weeks to feel really noticably better and a month to feel a huge difference. I've been on it for about two months now (through two or three AF's even) and it has made such a difference.

I get Seasonal Depression so I fully expect that come November/December I'll need to up my dosages of everything again.

My biggest problem (and maybe it would have worked even faster if I had gotten this under control right away!) was to remember to actually *take* all the pills, I still forget. I made myself a set of index cards with one for each time of day (morning, breakfast, mid-morning, etc.). I listed everything I should take at each time and then took markers and drew cute little pictures on them for more inspiration

Now I'm getting into visualization and affirmations and I'm feeling a lot better all around

Though I will admit I'm getting a bit cranky at this two week crud that's hit me and the kids (and finally, dh). : And the lack of sleep (from coughing or getting woken up) is hard. In the book she says that a good night's sleep is important. I've always believed that! But still, even with two weeks of illness and interrupted sleep, I'm not miserable, just a bit cranky, so I'm happy

Good luck to everyone, no matter what you are trying
#320 of 650 Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 AM

bumping

#321 of 650 Old 09-20-2006, 01:53 AM

ShannonCC - do you take any cod liver oil? I read somewhere, and I can't remember where (maybe even TMC?) that cod liver oil really helps with seasonal depression because it supplies the Vitamin D that we are lacking during the *dark* months. Just a thought because I too tend to get in a funk, especially right around the time change, and then again in December when it's dark so early in the evening.

Also, I too made a list of what I need to be taking - mine is just in a big font on the fridge of my daily supplements (well, mine and dh's). I need to update it though because I've upped our dosage of the 5-HTP and the GABA. I started us both off on the low-end (actually one dose below the recommended) to see how we did, and I noticed small improvements, so we upped it to 100mg of the 5-HTP and 400mg of the GABA (taken over two doses). So now I take about 400 mg of magnesium, plus one 5-HTP and one GABA at lunch time (and also give my boys their magnesium supplement then); then we take another dose of all of it, plus a B-Complex and CLO before bed. I think it's definitely making things better, which is so nice.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#322 of 650 Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 AM

Gah! We're remodeling our kitchen and I've either misplaced my copy of TMC or loaned it out. Like MyLittleWonders said, it's time to up the dosage for those of us who don't do well in the cold and dark. I originally tested high for all four surveys. Could someone post the low and high level dosages for:

5-HTP
Tyrosine
GABA

Thanks in advance!!

#323 of 650 Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Sorry Kat, I loaned my book out too.

MyLittleWonders, yes, I'm taking CLO for that very reason! Last year (before I found the Mood Cure) I had a horrid winter and started taking the CLO. It definitely helped so I'm keeping up with it. On it's own it didn't make as much of a difference as the whole MC regimen though. I'm also taking evening primrose oil which I think helps me too. In the MC she says to take essential fatty acids so the CLO and EPO are just part of that for me.

On the SAD front, I'm still fine here. It doesn't seem to really hit me til maybe November? Actually most of my life it didn't hit til December 26th, I always thought it was just post Christmas let-down that then lasted for months but I've come to realize it's that the Christmas season was keeping me up, kwim? The last few years, Christmas has gotten more and more stressful so the season wasn't keeping the SAD at bay like it used to. This year we are making significant changes in how we celebrate Christmas, plus I'm on the Mood Cure stuff, plus I'm now into visualization and affirmations and I'm really hopeful that I will *not* be in a funk for months this winter.
#324 of 650 Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Same here, Shannon! I always notice myself going downhill after January 1st though. I did used to think it was just post holiday gloom. Glad to hear you are using affirmations. What powerful tools! Hav eyou ever read The Game Of Life and How To Play It By Florence Scoville Schinn? Amazing book written in the 1930's by this revolutionary woman. It talks about hte power of words and really helps me with my affirmations. It took awhile to realize that I was putting up my own roadblocks. For instance I kept asking for abundance. I didn't specify what I wanted an abundace of though. The universe kept delivering, however it was an abundance of things I was trying to rid myself of! The book helped me be more clear in my intentions.
#325 of 650 Old 09-21-2006, 03:56 AM

It is good to know that others have had success with natural supplements.

I started an amino acid therapy to balance my neurotransmitters. I acutally began with my mother on the mood cure but by phase two we needed a professional to help with the amino acids, I got too excited. I went thorugh a company and a Clinical Nutritionist who tests your neurotransmitters through a urine test and then they are able to see your levels then suggest amino acid formulas that help to fix the imbalances. It was really eye opening to see my levels on paper and apply that to how down I was feeling, especially in relation to what I learned in the mood cure.

But yes I have had success in combating my depression and anxiety through a supplement that has 5HTP in it. I also gained more energy and my carb cravings have subsided greatly. I am currently taking inhibitory and excititory amino acid supplements and feel so much better.

I am glad to hear that you all are finding success in these alternatives too!
Take care,
Annie
#326 of 650 Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyannie View Post
It is good to know that others have had success with natural supplements.

I started an amino acid therapy to balance my neurotransmitters. I acutally began with my mother on the mood cure but by phase two we needed a professional to help with the amino acids, I got too excited. I went thorugh a company and a Clinical Nutritionist who tests your neurotransmitters through a urine test and then they are able to see your levels then suggest amino acid formulas that help to fix the imbalances. It was really eye opening to see my levels on paper and apply that to how down I was feeling, especially in relation to what I learned in the mood cure.

But yes I have had success in combating my depression and anxiety through a supplement that has 5HTP in it. I also gained more energy and my carb cravings have subsided greatly. I am currently taking inhibitory and excititory amino acid supplements and feel so much better.

I am glad to hear that you all are finding success in these alternatives too!
Take care,
Annie
What company did you use? I know there is a local resource in my town but that whole making an appointment and getting my butt down there is getting in the way. I would love a "mail in" option.

#327 of 650 Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyannie View Post
I acutally began with my mother on the mood cure but by phase two we needed a professional to help with the amino acids
Phase 2 of what? I loaned out my MC copy but I don't remember any phases in there.

Do you remember how much the testing cost?

firefaery, I haven't read that one. I read Ask And It Is Given which I liked but then I read Excuse Me Your Life is Waiting which I really loved! They're about the Law of Attraction. I got inspired by The Secret thread in Spirituality
#328 of 650 Old 09-28-2006, 12:12 AM

:
#329 of 650 Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 PM

I got my amino acids tested a couple of weeks ago (and I'm STILL waiting for the results). In the meantime, I'm reading The Mood Cure. According to the questionnaire in the book, I've definitely got low seratonin levels (as do much of my family, it seems). I'm really worried, though, about taking amino acid supplements b/c I'm still bfing my son (he's 2 1/2). I looked up 5-HTP on kellymom.com, and this is what it said:

Quote:
This is found in some diet pills and is a natural amino acid which is the immediate precursor of the neurotransmitter serotonin. There are no data on its transfer into human milk. Per Hale, 5-HTP is not recommended for nursing moms because an infant's neurological development is incredibly sensitive to serotonin levels and we do not know if 5-HTP could produce high milk levels (and thus lead to an overdose to the infant). The manufacturer reports that 5-HTP can suppress lactation.
It goes without saying that I don't want to do anything to hurt ds. I had quite a few ultrasounds when pregnant with him (which I only recently learned were bad) . So the thought of messing with his growing brain even more concerns me. However, I'm suspecting ds has inherited some of the deficiencies himself. He's always been a high needs child--intense, agitated, sometimes rather hyper, trouble transitioning, a very poor sleeper, etc. So I'm wondering if amino acid supplements that I take might help him, too. It's just such a gray area, ykwim?--how much will he get thru breastmilk, will it be too much, how would I know, etc.

Has anyone taking the supplements observed a change in your bfing child? Should I just wait until he's not bfing anymore rather than risk it (though he's not going to stop anytime soon)? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks, Kelly
#330 of 650 Old 09-28-2006, 05:21 PM

pretty sure Kat took that while breastfeeding...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page