a true natural remedy? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 650 Old 11-07-2006, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jaynejohnson - i'm so glad you're finding a solution! when i read your dosages i thought, "wow! those are really high!" but then i remembered that's what i was doing when i first started the mood cure, only i was also taking tyrosine. now i'm down to a little tyrosine, a little 5 htp if i need it, and gaba calm if i feel like i'm not sleeping well. and lots of protein. i also noticed that i didn't have caffeine withdrawel when i quit a year and a half ago, but i hadn't attributed it to the supplments.

good luck with your continued good health!

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#362 of 650 Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 PM

hi there - am getting a little cross-eyed trying to find out if L-Theanine can cause problems w/breast-feeding (have a 6 month old) - have only taken it 2 days...so, probably just a placebo effect helping me w/my postpartum....still, if it is helping i don't want to stop!! - anyone know if L-Theanine can harm my baby/milk supply?? -- cheers!
#363 of 650 Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM

anyone take HCL? anyone notice any strange side effects?

I swear that when I am taking it that my scalp is dryer, I lose way more hair, and my lips dry out....my ND says that she has never heard of that happening..
#364 of 650 Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
For those of you who take 5HTP

what do you think of this product?
I've never seen that product, but it has a few too many ingredients for me. I always like to know what's working and what's not, so I tend to take things separately.

Quote:
What doses do you all take? Does this sound like a good place to start?

Is it okay to take while b'feeding?

I take aminos during PMS and they help a lot! I'm thinking I want to try the
5HTP to help me sleep.
Right now I'm taking an amino acid blend (prepared by the company GF recommended). I didn't really notice a big difference with it. I think that's because I'm very low in tryptophan, and the blend doesn't contain much 5-htp. So I'm taking extra 5-htp: 100 mg in the morning and before bed, along with 325 mg GABA before bed. It seems to help, but I'm thinking I need even more b/c I'm still somewhat depressed.

What helped me decide to take 5-htp (even though still bfing) was to get my levels tested like GF suggested. Since I know I'm low in tryptophan, I feel comfortable taking it, assuming my body will utilize it rather than pass it on to ds. Also, I had ds's amino tested, too, and he's on the very low end of normal on the tryptophan scale. So I figure any extra he gets might help him out. I've noticed no difference in him since I started taking the aminos. Again, I think that if your body truly needs it (which you'll discover thru testing), you won't pass it along through your breastmilk.

HTH! Kelly
#365 of 650 Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momandmore2 View Post
I've never seen that product, but it has a few too many ingredients for me. I always like to know what's working and what's not, so I tend to take things separately.

Right now I'm taking an amino acid blend (prepared by the company GF recommended). I didn't really notice a big difference with it. I think that's because I'm very low in tryptophan, and the blend doesn't contain much 5-htp. So I'm taking extra 5-htp: 100 mg in the morning and before bed, along with 325 mg GABA before bed. It seems to help, but I'm thinking I need even more b/c I'm still somewhat depressed.

What helped me decide to take 5-htp (even though still bfing) was to get my levels tested like GF suggested. Since I know I'm low in tryptophan, I feel comfortable taking it, assuming my body will utilize it rather than pass it on to ds. Also, I had ds's amino tested, too, and he's on the very low end of normal on the tryptophan scale. So I figure any extra he gets might help him out. I've noticed no difference in him since I started taking the aminos. Again, I think that if your body truly needs it (which you'll discover thru testing), you won't pass it along through your breastmilk.

HTH! Kelly
That does help! Thanks!

I'll have to go back through the thread again : and find the info. about the company that does the testing.

We are currently having dd's aminos tested so it makes sense that I should have mine done too.

ETA: Is the GABA a better choice for help w/sleep while you're b'feeding?
#366 of 650 Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 PM

spaceshipj hi there - am getting a little cross-eyed trying to find out if L-Theanine can cause problems w/breast-feeding (have a 6 month old) - have only taken it 2 days...so, probably just a placebo effect helping me w/my postpartum....still, if it is helping i don't want to stop!! - anyone know if L-Theanine can harm my baby/milk supply?? -- cheers!

My chiro/nutritionist had me taking L-Theanine rather than SJW or 5HTP because I was breastfeeding. I knot SJW is now considered okay for BF but he thought L-Theanine was more effective for anxiety symptoms and he preferred it in this blend that had GABA and a green tea extract too. It helped, but I still needed somthing more, then got pregnant!!

good luck, violet
#367 of 650 Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
spaceshipj hi there - am getting a little cross-eyed trying to find out if L-Theanine can cause problems w/breast-feeding (have a 6 month old) - have only taken it 2 days...so, probably just a placebo effect helping me w/my postpartum....still, if it is helping i don't want to stop!! - anyone know if L-Theanine can harm my baby/milk supply?? -- cheers!

My chiro/nutritionist had me taking L-Theanine rather than SJW or 5HTP because I was breastfeeding. I knot SJW is now considered okay for BF but he thought L-Theanine was more effective for anxiety symptoms and he preferred it in this blend that had GABA and a green tea extract too. It helped, but I still needed somthing more, then got pregnant!!

good luck, violet
thanks so much for the reply violet - the l-theanine is helping so so much & oddly enough, my now 7 mo old is the happiest she's ever been too - thanks again, spaceshipj
#368 of 650 Old 12-04-2006, 02:25 PM

subbing..
#369 of 650 Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM

nak
i am heading out to get some gaba, but can someone please tell me what doseage The Mood Cure recommends? the store has 250mg and 500 mg

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#370 of 650 Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
nak
i am heading out to get some gaba, but can someone please tell me what doseage The Mood Cure recommends? the store has 250mg and 500 mg
"100-500 mg, one to three times a day at or before your high-stress times, typically midafternoon and/or bedtime."
#371 of 650 Old 12-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Anybody who's taking 5Htp - what dosages are you using? I've started 50 mg but I don't notice any difference. I'm taking it mainly to help me sleep. Maybe I've not taken it for long enough (about a week.)

Just curious what you all are taking.
#372 of 650 Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Anybody who's taking 5Htp - what dosages are you using? I've started 50 mg but I don't notice any difference. I'm taking it mainly to help me sleep. Maybe I've not taken it for long enough (about a week.)

Just curious what you all are taking.
I started out with 50 mg but didn't notice a difference either. So I upped it to 100 mg twice a day. I started feeling better, but then after several weeks, I had a couple of REALLY grouchy days, like I had been feeling before I started taking it. Then I read in the _Mood Cure_ that that could be a rebound effect from taking too much (i.e. having too much seratonin). So I stopped the 5-htp and i felt good again. Now I just take it when I feel crabby.
#373 of 650 Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Wow- sounds like you have some significant gut problems. What is your diet like? What do you eat on a daily basis? Maybe someone here can help a bit.

As far as the 5-HTP goes-I'm not a doctor. However, it isn't seratonin, it's a precursor to seratonin meaning that your body will convert it as necessary. It's not like you are injecting artificial chemicals into your body. If it makes it through the bm I would question (if it's taken responsibly) why the baby wouldn't just excrete it and NOT make the conversion if it's not necessary. Clearly it's not that simple, but I know several ND's and the herbalist/nutritionist and doc's that I work for/with all use it for pregnant and nursing mamas. I think the key is being able to have enough info to be able to determine whether or not seratonin is the issue.
Speaking of serotonin, I remember reading somewhere that you take NCD (liquid zeolite). Did you know that it helps to release serotonin?
I'm really grateful that you started this thread.
I'm learning so much here!!!!
#374 of 650 Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 PM

Thought I'd just update my experiences with 5HTP and breastfeeding. When I was on it I wasn't taking it with any regularly, just when I remembered or felt anxious, and my supply was all over the place. Now I'm off it completely and my supply is nice and regular and just what the baby needs. Interestingly, I'm also finding that my moods are more even, too. I'm still taking tyrosine, B vits with my Floradix, and GABA to help me sleep. The GABA especially makes a huge difference in the quality of my sleep.

#375 of 650 Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM

Okay - I read the Mood Cure while preg and thought I knew what I was doing, but now I'm 2 wks pp and the wave of tears just hit and now I'm overwhelmed.

anybody on this list still out there willing to respond to a few questions?

I don't remember inositol and tyrosine listed in the mood cure. Are they comparable to other amino forms listed and described in the four categories? Is tyrosine instead of DLPA?

I've been taking 5-HTP and a GABA/taurine combo, definitely helping with anxiety symptoms, but now I've got the blah, teary, "i am an island" feelings. I'm withdrawing from my kids and crying over nothing. I think that fits the DLPA category but I read somewhere that's not good for breastfeeding.

And, I have a VERY sleepy relaxed newborn ( he was this way for the week before I started any supplements) but I'm feeling less sure about using the 5-HTP since he is sooooo sleepy. My milk supply is good and he wakes often to nurse, so it may just be my overreaction. Maybe I just have the perfect baby who actually LIKEs to sleep

I feel lost. I thought the 5-HTP and gaba would do the trick. But now I'm not sure what to try next.

I also take a good mag, cal, b complex, b-6, iron and i'm terrible about remembering the CLO.

violet:
#376 of 650 Old 12-31-2006, 09:40 PM

(((HUGS))) to you, violet. Remember, hormonal adjustments are *normal* in the PP period and you can't medicate them away. They *will* pass. Make sure you're getting as much rest as you can and eating as much protein as you can get. And ask for help! Do you have anyone that can cook for you and your family? Can you do take-out?

And I'll tell you what one of my MWs told me when I was going on and on about my easy baby and when was she going to get hard, blah blah blah. She told me, "Have an easy baby." And that helped so much! Accept that you've probably got a mellow, easy baby and enjoy it!

As for tyrosine, wouldn't you know it, I can't put my hands on TMC again. I just had it! But it does talk about tyrosine, that's how I know to use it. Go look again. I find it's the best for keeping me mellow. Also try Rescue Remedy. I needed that *every day* after Iris was born. I was having such horrible anxiety dreams. It really helped me sleep.

I find GABA is really good for sleep, too, at least in terms of the quality of sleep. It can be good during the day if you're feeling anxious. I'm not sure it's the best if you're feeling weepy. I have a friend who felt *more* weepy on GABA and he stopped taking it.

And I did find that 5 HTP was great for moods, but it just affected my supply too much. Usually it gave me an oversupply and I had a terrible time with clogged ducts. Just keep an eye on it.

And do keep with the vitamins and CLO. If you forget one day, just go take it as soon as you remember. Every little bit helps.

And be *gentle* with yourself. You're very vulnerable right now. Make sure you're getting enough help and know that you can't be in charge of everything right now. You're recovering from a major physical process and it will take time!

#377 of 650 Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM

also would suggest checking out Gale Force's new depresson website...she has a lot of great info on there. She is dealing with ppd. One thing she mentions is upping your B vit intake. Like taking liver.

www.rebuild-from-depression.com
#378 of 650 Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM

I've heard great things too. Can't wait to see how you're all feeling.
#379 of 650 Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
I don't remember inositol and tyrosine listed in the mood cure. Are they comparable to other amino forms listed and described in the four categories? Is tyrosine instead of DLPA?
Violet, hi, I am so sorry you are experiencing the 'yuckies'...it just sucks.

In years past I've taking phenalinine & in my experience it affected me similar to tyrosine. However I don't think it is safe during lactation. Tyrosine IS DISCUSSED in a large section in TMC. I personally am taking 500mg 2x daily along w/ 5htp. My son (9 weeks`old) may have been a bit sleepier than usual at 1st but otherwise has not reacted to it...& I am not exclusively breastfeeding. The difference tyrosine has made for me is indescribabley fantastic.

I hope you are feeling better very soon.
#380 of 650 Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks ladies
when i posted my copy of TMC was in the other room with the sleeping baby. It was actually Taurine that I didn't think was mentioned. Taurine is in my GABA/L-Theanine supplement and I don't know what the heck it's supposed to do.

So if I'm understanding this right, tyrosine and the phenalinine are related but tyrosine is more acceptable while breastfeeding?

KatSG - thank you.
you are so right - I do have to move through this adjustment period - I can't avoid bad feelings all together. When the day of tears hit in my mind that meant the depression was starting and it was inevitable that it would be as bad as the last time. fatalistic. but one day is only one day - who knows, maybe i'll get mild baby blues and move on without any more symptoms. I think I had to get rid of that notion that it was all or nothing and I could find the perfect supplements that would fix it all.

thanks ladies.
oh - and i am feeling better. focusing on the basic vits and CLO and protein. and i arranged some playdates for DD and a friend is arranging for meals through Sat when my parents come. thanks for the support,
violet
#381 of 650 Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 PM

i'm glad you're feeling better, violet. PP is hard for everyone, no matter what. take it one day at a time. glad you've got some help, too!

#382 of 650 Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM

i just want to say I've had depression for years... so i remained on st john wart durring and after pregnancy. little info is out there but my baby boy is doing great.
My body seems to need more so i'm definately looking into initosol and the other thing mentioned here.
i'm suffering from ppd now - but figure it would be much worse without th

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#383 of 650 Old 01-09-2007, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oops GradysMom, looks like your post got cut. Congrats on your baby boy. How are you doing? What are you doing for self care?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#384 of 650 Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM

I'm so glad that I found this thread. I was looking through the forums and all I saw was Zoloft Paxil, MED posts and that is NOT what I wanted to see when coming here.

So THANK YOU for posting this, and keeping this thread alive. I'm going to my local health food shop later today to see if they have it.

Lastly, about the 5-HTP....before I had children, I used to take 5-HTP to counteract the comedown of taking Ecstasy at raves. (this was a long time ago). I noticed that when I did take it, I did not feel blue later on in the week. However, I'm sure how good it is for breastfeeding. That's something I would have to look up. I don't think that Hales has it covered.

****edit to add*****

From page 23 of Tom Hale, Ph.D. book.

----------
Unfortunately, there are no data on the transfer of exogenously supplied LTP or 5-HTP into human milk. For instance, it is not apparently known if high maternal plasma levels would produce high milk levels. While it is true human milk contains higher levels of LTP, presumably to stimulate serotonin levels in the infant's CNS, it is not known if high maternal doses would likewise produce high milk levels. Because the infant's neurologic development is incredibly sensitive to serotonin levels, and because we do not know if supplementation with LTP or 5-HTP could produce high milk levels leading to overdose in the infant, this author does not recommend the use of L-tryptophan or 5-HTP supplementation in breastfeeding mothers until we know corresponding milk levels.

Tom Hale, Ph.D.

I got that info from searching his forums
http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/60/1265.html

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#385 of 650 Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
because we do not know if supplementation with LTP or 5-HTP could produce high milk levels leading to overdose in the infant, this author does not recommend the use of L-tryptophan or 5-HTP supplementation in breastfeeding mothers until we know corresponding milk levels.
That seems wise, given that 5-HTP (and, presumably) l-tryptophan, can be very, very dangerous when an adult takes too much, its easy to imagine a small child being profoundly impacted.

Thepoet--I am sorry that it bothers you to see people talk about prescription meds here, but sometimes that is what works for people. My experimentation with natural remedies made me far sicker than my experimentation with Rx meds did. Depression is horrible; if a mama finds a way to make hers better, isn't that a good thing?
#386 of 650 Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM

*I* was shocked to come to this forum for the first time and see so many mamas turning to it. That's all. It was something I was not prepared to see and that made *me* sad.

Sure, sure, whatever works they should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post

Thepoet--I am sorry that it bothers you to see people talk about prescription meds here, but sometimes that is what works for people. My experimentation with natural remedies made me far sicker than my experimentation with Rx meds did. Depression is horrible; if a mama finds a way to make hers better, isn't that a good thing?

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#387 of 650 Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 AM

Welcome, thepoet! I'm glad you found us. Thanks for the info about 5-HTP. Something that we all have to be mindful of is that there just isn't a lot of conclusive research on pregnant/nursing mamas taking so-called natural remedies. For myself, I don't even consider 5-HTP "natural," or any more natural than Paxil. It's not a whole plant, after all. It's simply over-the-counter.

kaydee, I'm glad you've found something that works for you. And though I know I can't speak for everyone on this thread, I agree that out goal is getting out of depression and staying out with the fewest side effects, and to support each other while we do this!

#388 of 650 Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 PM

I wanted to bump this and also add some update/information. I finally had my amino acid levels tested. I went with the Amino Acid blood-spot test (did the 22 amino one) from Metametrix. My chiropractor ordered the test, I did it at home (the send a disposible lancet), and sent it back. My levels were incredibly low. My chiro was like, "No wonder you feel like cr*p!" Then she sent in the results to the pharmacy who custom blends the aminos (and she is trying to get the compounding pharmacist in her building to order the bulk aminos), and I started a couple days ago. I haven't even started the full dose yet and I feel so much better. I had already been doing magnesium citrate (Natural Calm), B-complex, 5HTP and GABA. I stopped the 5HTP and GABA, and now take the aminos 2x a day, the magnesium, and the B-Complex. I HIGHLY recommend to anyone who is trying to figure out how to combat PPD or depression/anxiety in general to get your levels checked. With the exception of Lysine, I was low across the board in the essentials and in pretty much all the non-essentials. I know now why I have been barely functioning on so many levels for so long ... and it feels so good to know that my body is completely healing.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#389 of 650 Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Wow! That's great!

Thank you for bumping and sharing!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#390 of 650 Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 AM

OK I am sorry to do this but I tried reading through all 20 pages and I can't. I am suffering from some ppd and have been for a while and do not want to take anti-depressents. But I cannot figure out what I am supposed to take and what is safe while nursing? Please help me out making my first trip to the health food store tommorow well at least for this.

Also I was wondering I have a husband that has been diagnosed with explossive personality disorder and has major anger problems can any of this help him also? He is currently on effexor.

What about an overactive 4 year old?

Thanks so much I love this board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page