a true natural remedy? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 650 Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
jkg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does magnesium affect milk supply? I'm thinking if trying Natural Calm...
#422 of 650 Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Going to the HFS tonight. What amino acids do I get? Currently I'm taking 5HTP, SJW (though not a full dose), prenatals, L-Tyrosine, Ginko, fish oil. My symptoms are anxiety, depression, fatigue, and just generally not feeling right. Any recommendations would be great!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#423 of 650 Old 04-18-2007, 02:26 PM

nak

It sounds like you're taking the basics. perhaps look at your diet and make sure you're eating enough protein (70+ g). Try an iron supplement like Floridix for fatigue.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#424 of 650 Old 04-29-2007, 01:26 AM
jmo

Wow, this thread is so informative. I've finally finished reading all the way through - it took awhile! I've started dh on aminos and I'm hoping to start some myself after I wean off zoloft. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommedations for how to gradually wean off zoloft (or any anti dep.)? My midwife prescribed it for me at 8 weeks pp and I've been on it for 18 months now. I take 100 mg daily and I have about 2 months supply left. I don't currently have health insur and I really can't afford an office visit to discuss coming off it. I know I need to do it very gradually but am unsure where to start. thanks for any advice you can give!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#425 of 650 Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 AM

my mom was on 50mg when she was on it and she went down to one every other day when she started weaning off of it...
#426 of 650 Old 04-29-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo View Post
Wow, this thread is so informative. I've finally finished reading all the way through - it took awhile! I've started dh on aminos and I'm hoping to start some myself after I wean off zoloft. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommedations for how to gradually wean off zoloft (or any anti dep.)? My midwife prescribed it for me at 8 weeks pp and I've been on it for 18 months now. I take 100 mg daily and I have about 2 months supply left. I don't currently have health insur and I really can't afford an office visit to discuss coming off it. I know I need to do it very gradually but am unsure where to start. thanks for any advice you can give!
It's best two wean off very slowly (over 4-8 weeks). Some people have a lot of withdrawal side effects, some don't.

A recommended approach is to lower your dose by 25 mg and stay on that dose for a week, then reduce by another 25 mg for a week, etc. until you are off. You can use a pill cutter on the tablets UNLESS you are on an extended or controlled release pill. Those cannot be cut safely. If you have an extended release tab, you will need to get smaller dose pills from your dr.
#427 of 650 Old 04-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg View Post
Does magnesium affect milk supply? I'm thinking if trying Natural Calm...
Magnesium is fine while bf'ing.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#428 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Can you guys help me? When my dh is around to help I don't do too bad, but as soon as he has to go to work I start losing it. I'm just overwhelmed by everything, annoyed at the kids, irritable, angry, etc. I might just be sleep deprived, but I still need to do something. I don't want to go on meds, and whenever I try to read this thread to figure out the aminos or whatever, I get so overwhelmed--I just want to feel better, but I don't know what to do.
#429 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM

My first thought is GABA. Gamma Amino Butyric Acid.

That's what I take before bed so I can fall asleep and stay asleep instead of pondering and mulling and making lists in my head.

I also take it on those days when I feel like I'm going to lose my mind- especially during the PMS days when my fuse is micro-short. It sort of calms your mind down so you can take a deep breath and keep your cool.

I've been experimenting with Magnesium after reading about Natural Calm, so if that's easier to find, give that a try.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#430 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM

I usually don't have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep--I'm sleep deprived because my 9 mo wakes up a ton. But, I do have a super short fuse. How much should I take, and how often?
#431 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM

My GABA is 100mg per capsule, and I take either one or two at a time, based on my level of desperation.

Until I discovered GABA, my main challenge with nighttime was the zillion times DS would wake me up. I'd roll over to nurse him, but then would lie there awake for an hour or two, unable to go back to sleep because my mind was chattering away.
But yeah, it's great for those moments when you suddenly realize you're a hairswidth away from morphing into a screaming meanie.

#432 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks, ramlita, for your replies.

So, GABA or Magnesium should help calm me down a bit. That sounds good.

I also feel bored with life, hate life, don't want to do anything, don't have any energy, generally depressed, etc. Is there anything to help me with those things?
#433 of 650 Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 PM

That's a tougher one.

I think the answer is a different for everyone,
but there are certainly some themes:
Exercise
Eat better food
Outdoor time
Alone time or Friend time
Date-type time
Therapy
Supplements and/or Prescription meds

What do you feel you need the most?

The first thing that popped into my head: Take a dance class.
That would meet a lot of my needs right now.
It would mean someone else was watching my kids, I was out of the house in a new setting, around other adults, learning something new and fun, and getting exercise. It would be built into my week so I had something to look forward to.

If that wouldn't be for you, ride a bike to do a couple of errands alone- say, every Saturday morning.

Or call a friend and go for a walk- in nature or with a nice destination in mind. An ice cream shop? Coffee shop? Poetry reading? To browse magazines in a book store?

What I tend to need is a break from the same-old same-old of daily life with small children, and physical activity and a food treat make it all the better.
How about you?

By the time DD was two, I had spent nearly three years living in a very rural place with no car and no friends. None.
One day while talking with someone at the local parent-child center and I decided to volunteer to facilitate a playgroup meant to support new breastfeeding moms. (I had some training on the subject, as well as the 2 years of experience ) It meant scheduling things in the morning so I could use my DH's car while he slept (late shift job.)
After a while, moms started showing up, and many of them became my friends. The group waxes and wanes, but for the past year, we've had about nine regulars that come every week, and we've become a great support group for each other. Now we have extra playdates outdoors, occasional potluck brunches with our DPs in tow on weekends, and once a month on a Friday, we go out MOMS ONLY to a bar!!

Could you tell us more about the challenges in your life?
What climate are you in? Has spring sprung yet?
What has helped you in the past?
How much help can you get with childcare?

These are tough years to get through, aren't they?

#434 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM

Well, everything was fine until I got pregnant with my third child. The pregnancy was really hard (as it always is for me). Then, things got a little better after he was born. I had more energy, etc. Then things started going downhill. My baby has a bit of reflux, so he wakes up a lot and I've always had to pick him up to nurse him or resettle him, which means I could never just sleep through his nighttime nursings like I had with my other kids. Also, the past 6 months have been really stressful for our family. Dh has been job-hunting, so the uncertainty of the future plus him being away for many, many interviews has really been rough. Taking care of the kids on my own is hard enough for me, but the fact that I had to deal with 3 kids who still wake up at night made my sleep deprivation so much worse.

Within the last few weeks, we've finally gotten to a point where we have a job and dh is done traveling. He's at home helping out a lot and he will be for the rest of the summer, but I guess the damage has been done and it's not going to go away very fast. Because, like I said, as soon as he leaves for work, I feel like I just can't handle anything.

I don't know what I need. Maybe more alone time? Dh helps so much, I feel guilty asking for anything more. I need a solid night's sleep, that's for sure.

Here's something maybe someone can help with...I get hungry all the time. I feel like I need more protein. I don't eat much meat and I'm off dairy because of ds reflux. What should I eat?

Ugh, baby's crying. I have to go. It feels good to write this out, though.

Is The Mood Cure the book that talks about aminos and curing depression?
#435 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Do you eat fish? If so, what about adding a serving of wild-caught salmon to your weekly menu? Also, if you don't do dairy, you might want to look into adding coconut milk, coconut cream, and/or coconut oil to your daily regimine. You can take the coconut milk from the can and dilute it with some water until it's a desireable consistency. You can use it to make a smoothie in the morning by adding fresh or frozen fruit, a little honey (raw is packed with nutrients), and maybe a green, super-food powder/supplement like Vitamineral Green. That would start you off well in the morning. Then, maybe drink a bit more of the diluted coconut milk during the day (maybe a small glass with lunch and dinner) ... the fat is super good for you and your nursing babe, plus it will help satiate you and nourish you. I'd also recommend adding the Natural Calm magnesium if you can. It might help with sleeping. And a good quality cod liver oil (we by Kirkland Lab's online, but there are some good brands you can get at a local health food store - you want to make sure the vitamin A & D are naturally occuring and in as close to a 10 parts vitamin A to 1 part vitamin D ratio as possible). How old are you older two kiddos? They would also benefit from the Natural Calm and the cod liver oil ... the omega 3's will help everyone and the magnesium can be very good for bringing on a better sleep. So ... my shopping list would be:
1. coconut milk and/or coconut oil (you can actually take about 1 tablespoon coconut oil off a spoon just before each meal or mix it in a smoothie like the coconut milk or cook with it or mix it with some nut butter and honey for a snack or use it in place of butter on a sandwish/toast)
2. Natural Calm magnesium
3. Cod liver oil (I was getting the Twin Lab brand at the HFS ... it was one of the least expensive, contained naturally occuring A & D, and had them in the proper ratio)
4. Wild-caught salmon for dinner once a week (or for lunch)
5. Raw almonds

HTH

#436 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

I do have coconut oil, and you're right, I need to start taking more of it. I've gotten out of the habit.

I'll get the Magnesium.

I've been taking Carlson brand cod liver oil capsules. It looks like it's the right ratio...I need to be more consistent taking it, though.

We have been eating fish more lately. Is there something special about wild caught salmon? Is it better/more healthy?

I do have raw almonds. I'll try to eat more.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been thinking a lot lately, and I think I need to get out more. I'm very introverted and a homebody, so I resist going out alone or even with just the kids (I'm fine if I'm with dh). I also don't have a car a lot of the time. I need to figure out what to do so I can get out this small apartment.
#437 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Most places will sell/serve farm-raised fish, which can be as yucky as convention/farm-raised cattle, as opposed to grass-fed, free-range cattle. Farm raised salmon has to be colored red/pink to look like wild salmon because they are denied their natural diet. Farm-raised versus wild-caught

#438 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1001 View Post

Is The Mood Cure the book that talks about aminos and curing depression?

#439 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM

The Mood Cure recommends L-Tyrosine for the "blahs" (hating life, nothing grabs you, having no energy, etc). In the book she says how much to try, when to take it (don't take it in the afternoon if you have trouble sleeping already), how to tell if you are taking too much, etc.

Have you tried B? B vitamins perk me up when I'm lacking energy.

I'm a believer in good diet, meditation, taking time for yourself and all that but for *me* I needed the supplements to give me the energy (mostly mental) to actually do those things. I don't mean to make it sound like I think all you have to do is pop a pill and then you're cured

Anyway, here's her website and on the right hand side she has the questionaire from the book to help figure out what you're feeling like (are you mostly weepy? mostly angry? mostly just "blah" - all of the above? etc). http://www.moodcure.com/ Oh, and I got my book cheap off amazon. You can also check your library! Good luck with it all
#440 of 650 Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 PM

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this is what is helping me:
I did use Zoloft for the first couple of months to get me through
Now I take 150mg 5HTP (50 when I wake up and 100 when I go to bed)
Natural Calm at bedtime
sublingual B6 thoughout the day for energy (about 150 mg total)
my prenatal vitamin
Megadoses of Sodium Ascorbate (about 3000-4000 mg each day) Vit C has made a big difference in how "run down" I was feeling.
I still am waking up some at night, but it is much better than it was. I have weaned off the zoloft, and most days am doing well, though am teary and irritable still on some days.

Also PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. Can't stress the protein bit enough.

I am going to try GABA as well.
#441 of 650 Old 05-19-2007, 10:57 AM

I checked out The Mood Cure from the library. Wow, is anyone else all four false mood types? I'm going to be taking so many supplements! I hope they help me feel better...

In the book she says to start taking all of the supplements at once. Is this what you guys have done?
#442 of 650 Old 05-19-2007, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just tried the 5-HTP and none of the other stuff. It was effective. I found it stopped the constant chattering in my head about what a bad mother I was, how other people thought I was not good enough, etc.

At a certain point though I could tell my body had loaded enough because I started experiencing weird symptoms like anxiety attacks, felt a little strange one night, like I was watching myself from afar. Then I stopped taking it and the symptoms stopped. I think you have to be careful, monitor yourself like it says in the book. It can be really helpful for some though! Good luck!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#443 of 650 Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 PM

I fit three of the profiles and yeah, I started with all of them at once. It was a lot. I wrote them on index cards. I had cards for first thing in the morning, breakfast, mid morning, lunch, etc, and as I took the supplements I'd put the card at the back of the pile. It helps to do something like that when you have a ton (or write it out on a checklist - whatever works for you).

I hope it works for you! And you won't be on all of them forever. Over time (about six months) I was able to start taking less and then stop some completely.
#444 of 650 Old 05-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Hi!

I also have bought the book the mood cure...a wordefuuulllllll book..it offers a lot of important information: Please buy it, if you want to start with amino acids, vitamins, minerals etc.

I am taking now:
Morning: 100 mg 5htp+ 60 mg Gingko
After breakfast: True Focus von Now Food..
Before lunch: 2 capsules Omega 3
After lunch: Multivitamin pill
7 pm : 100 mg 5htp + 60 mg Gingko
9 pm: Calcium
Before I go to bed I take my Progesteron Capsules and Magnesium..

I have to take Magnesium and Calcium additionally, because the Multivitamin pill does not contain enough Calcium and Magnesium..and these are very important too..

I feel good..the mix does it.. Progesteron and the vitamins were not enough..since I take the amino acids I feel better..

Bye, Blanca
#445 of 650 Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm having trouble figuring out when to take all my aminos and other supplements. Is it okay to take 3 or 4 aminos all at once? I don't do well drinking water or taking supplements before I eat breakfast...do the aminos really have to be taken on an empty stomach?

Also, has anyone else gotten headaches from the aminos? I'm not sure if my headaches lately are from the aminos or just coincidence.
#446 of 650 Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Ok, I have another question. In The Mood Cure, it says to take GABA "one to three times a day at or before your high-stress times, typically midafternoon and/or bedtime." My high-stress time is during the day, though. So, it seems like it would make more sense to take it in the morning--does that sound ok?
#447 of 650 Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1001 View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out when to take all my aminos and other supplements. Is it okay to take 3 or 4 aminos all at once? I don't do well drinking water or taking supplements before I eat breakfast...do the aminos really have to be taken on an empty stomach?

Also, has anyone else gotten headaches from the aminos? I'm not sure if my headaches lately are from the aminos or just coincidence.
When we got our custom aminos, the literature said to make sure you don't take them with another protein source because they will compete for absorbtion (IIRC). So, I take them about 15 minutes before eating. If I were only eating a fruit/veggie/carb based meal, then it would probably be fine to take with the food. But, we have protein with every meal, so I just take them early.

And if your high stress time is during the day, then maybe try experiementing with taking the GABA about an hour before you tend to hit stress-time. If that's with breakfast, then take it then and see if it helps ... after about a week, you can probably adjust if you need. HTH

#448 of 650 Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Hi roses1001!

You can take your aminos 2 hours after eating or 20 Minutes bevor eating..

Try first one amino..3 days later the second...and 3 days later than the third...so you can see how you feel with only one amino..

I felt good with 5htp but I wanted to try L-Tyrosin as well.

Gingko increase the effectivity of 5htp, so you can reduce or take less 5htp..and Gingko improves memory as well..

Very important are homons and the tyroid too..Bioidentical Progesterone can help againgst PMS..

and read page 199 of the book..

Blanca
#449 of 650 Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Whew....just trying to get through all the info. on this post. Lots of good stuff.

I just recently got "the mood cure" from the library. Still working through it. Question...are any breastfeeding mamas taking the GABA?? That sounds like something I would benefit from, but I'm BF so am a little concerned. Any other of the recommended supplements that should NOT be taken while BF?

I read on this post that 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine were not recommended. Any others??
#450 of 650 Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM

OK, I read the first few pages of this thread where everyone was raving about inositol and I'd like to try it. I'll never make it through the whole thread so if a few pages later everyone decided that inositol is awful and terrible, please let me know.

I just put the Mood Cure on reserve at the library.

I take flax oil and a B complex every day but I've always been too scared of the side effects and long term effects of trying anything else...but I've been feeling off for 2.5 years (PPD after my 2nd pregnancy) and enough's enough. I've tried 2 therapy appointments in that time but at $75 each session I just can't justify the cost.

What else can I try? We've started to talk about baby #3 and I find the number one reason I'm not ready to get pregnant is that I'm still depressed from #2 and scared of going through that again. I want to actually enjoy a pregnancy and be happy when my baby arrives. I know it's possible, I did it the first time. I've just got to find a way to get back there!!

So, does anyone have a good source of inositol or a brand to recommend?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page