a true natural remedy? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 650 Old 09-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am reading this thread from the beginning and I see it has tons of great info, but I'm only up to page 3 and see a bunch of mis-information. One poster wrote that the type of 5-HTP they were taking was L-Tyrosine....has anyone else noticed this? Is it too late to bother pointing them all out?

I am doing a bunch of supplements from The Mood Cure and will be chiming back in....overall, this is a great resource!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 650 Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 AM

ok, still reading.

Question: I am taking "fish body oil" instead of cod liver oil. I think i choose it because it had a higher EPA/DHA for the price. I also got a Vit D supplement (which is what i think usually makes the cod liver oil the better choice.)

Thoughts? Should I be doing cod liver oil?

Also, does anyone else find their fish oils stimulating? I was reading that someone takes them (as does her dc) before bedtime....i found this surprising.

TIA!

#483 of 650 Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn lisa View Post
I am reading this thread from the beginning and I see it has tons of great info, but I'm only up to page 3 and see a bunch of mis-information. One poster wrote that the type of 5-HTP they were taking was L-Tyrosine....has anyone else noticed this? Is it too late to bother pointing them all out?
If you want to point that stuff out, I'm sure it would only be helpful!
Any confusing posts I've noticed, I've just chalked it up to my still learning about all of this, or tired mamas mixing things up in their memory, (sitting at the computer while the bottles are in the kitchen ) so I'd love to see what errors/confusions I've missed here.

I haven't gotten into fish oils yet (transitioning from a lifetime of vegetarianism, verrry gradually) but I did just read in The Mood Cure that some people end up waking up alert and energized at 4:00 am if they take too much CLO/omega 3s.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#484 of 650 Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
One poster wrote that the type of 5-HTP they were taking was L-Tyrosine
Well, this is the one that should really be corrected, since, in my understanding at least, they are so different.

5-htp is a precursor to seratonin, (as is tryptophan) and can help even out both depression and anxiety. In the Mood Cure, these are taken for "Under a Dark Cloud" types of depression.

L-Tyrosine is a bit stimulating for those with "The Blahs" mood type. For someone with anxiety, it may make things worse.

Regarding fish oils, I take them in the morning and I am not too stimulated during the day. But I am having a hard time falling asleep. Neither the GABA or 5-htp seem to be helping that. Does anyone know if fish oils take all day to produce their stimulating action?

#485 of 650 Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM

I wanted to say that after reading this thread, a couple of months ago I got some 5-HTP. I also got some GABA and more melatonin to help me sleep at night. The combination seems to be working pretty well. I think most of my depressed feelings come from being totally overwhelmed when the kids are having a bad day and not getting nearly enough sleep. DD wakes me up a lot at night, we do cosleep but I wake up to nurse every time, and sometimes she wants to party for an hour after nursing! And I'm a SAHM, DH works long hours, I'm alone with the kids usually 11 hours per day, 5 days per week.

I haven't been able to find much information about 5-HTP, GABA and nursing, but I figured it's something my body makes anyway, AND, prescriptions are SO strong... how could something my body has in it anyway be worse than a prescription? I've taken antidepressants (years ago) and it was SO hard to come off it, that I really didn't want to go that route now. I know what my problem is and I know if I could get consistent sleep I'd be SO much better. But until then....

I'm going to get some Nordic Naturals cod liver oil and add that to my mix as well.
#486 of 650 Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 AM

I'm wondering if anyone felt immediately better within 15 minutes of taking 5-htp or tryptophan. Julia Ross mentions the instant change she saw in her patients a few times in her book, but I havent seen any mention of it here.

I did not see an immediate change, and do not think I've had much improvement from the 2 seratonin precursors (though i'm definitetly super-low in seratonin.)

I'm starting to think it might be my thyroid even though when tested it usually comes out normal, though on the low side of normal. My sister, father, and 2 cousins have low thyroid.

So, for those of you that got releif from 5htp/tryptophan, was it immediate and amazing?

#487 of 650 Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
So, for those of you that got releif from 5htp/tryptophan, was it immediate and amazing?
Immediate, yes. Amazing, no. When I started taking the supplements I did feel a bit better immediately. I do wonder if that's psychological though. Just the act of doing something felt good maybe? But I did notice a difference right away.

Unfortunately, it took weeks before I noticed a really good difference and months before it really clicked.
#488 of 650 Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Greetings Inositol users,
I purchased mine a week and a half ago and started with the 15 grams at once which has given me the diarrhea side effect.Those of you who had that exPerience,did it go away?Perhaps I should spread out the dosages rather then taking it all at once?How much Choline are you all taking with it?As far as Caffeine killing the inositol I wonder if taking it an hour or so before or after consuming caffeine makes any difference at all,does anyone know?I have read this entire thread(many pages) so I dont believe Im asking something already answered , any feedback would be apreciated.so thrilled to find this thread and TIA.
Also This is the cheapest source I found for it,hope it is good quality:
[URL="http://www.bulkfoods.com/health.asp?referrer=gooin"]
Esther
#489 of 650 Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Does anyone know if its allright to have a glass of wine or a beer a couple times a week while taking this.Im assuming since its a vitamin and not an SSRI,it should be fine,right?
thanks!
#490 of 650 Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Banned

I had to laugh and comment, only because I wondered if anyone knew that Inositol was actually used by drug dealers to cut cocaine with...
#491 of 650 Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 PM

I used 5htp (hydroxytriptophan) before for stress or if just wanted to feel giddy and mildly uphoric. It's worked for me without any side affects. I just wonder if I can take it while nursing?
#492 of 650 Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 AM

I was also wondering if 5 htp was safe while nursing. My ND is SURE it is and prescribed 100 mg/1x a day. I cut it to 50 mg because I read it can suppress lactation. I wondered if all you moms were able to continue to nurse just fine on it? Any side effects in baby? My dd has had diarreah since yesterday (thurs) although I started the supplement on Tuesday so I dont know if its the supplement causing the diarreah. If it is I dont want to keep taking. I did notice immediate relief especially on the 100 mg although I also felt a little hyper and giddy on 100 mg. Anyways, I am considering just stopping the 5 htp all together just because I am so nervous about it causing my 10 month old dd any side effects.

I already take Inosostol and Gaba at night and its done wonders for me, I have OCD and I feel so much better!!! My husband said "you arent crying all the time anymore." SO true!

If 5htp isnt completley safe for my dd I wonder if L-tyrosine would be good. I do have anxiety though so I dont want to trigger that, someone said it could cause worse anxiety?

Thanks ladies so much
post back or pm me if you have any info, I apperciate it!
God bless,
Mary
#493 of 650 Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM

bumping
#494 of 650 Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM

I have been doing well with all the supplements lately but I recently went off steroids (long story) and my depression is sneaking back in. Anyone know if this is a common event after going off steroids?
#495 of 650 Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 AM

Hi!

And please dont forget your thyroid!!! if your thyroid is ill, supplemets won´t really work ...and the sexual hormons are very important as well:

Here some links about it:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=747775
#496 of 650 Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofgaia View Post
I have been doing well with all the supplements lately but I recently went off steroids (long story) and my depression is sneaking back in. Anyone know if this is a common event after going off steroids?
Yes. I assume you weaned the steroids. Are you using the magnesium supplements consistently? And EFAs? Both are associated with hormonal balance.

You might also check about Bach flower remedies.
http://www.ainsworths.com/remedy/default.aspx

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/c.php/3

Pat

I have a blog.
#497 of 650 Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianAPmommy25 View Post
I was also wondering if 5 htp was safe while nursing. My ND is SURE it is and prescribed 100 mg/1x a day. I do have anxiety though so I dont want to trigger that, someone said it could cause worse anxiety?

Thanks ladies so much
post back or pm me if you have any info, I apperciate it!
God bless,
Mary
5-HTP made my milk supply go all over the place, depending on what time of day I took it. Sometimes it was low, sometimes so high I got plugged ducts. So I quit.

brooklyn lisa: You mentioned that you thought Tyrosine would make anxiety worse. Not the case with me. It's my main supplement for anxiety. If I stop taking it for a few days I get testy. Haven't looked at TMC in many months but I seem to remember a story about a native man who had terrible anxiety and tyrosine did wonders for him.

Also, I do feel better within an hour of taking supplements, but at this point I'm pretty good all of the time (been taking supplements for 2 years now) so the highs and lows are much less noticable. I do remember when I started I was coming off of Paxil at the same time and I was just so happy to feel better I had unbounded energy. I think that high has worn off and I'm just happily normal.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#498 of 650 Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone willing to answer my poll question:
Did inositol supplementation relieve your depression symptoms?
Pretty please :

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#499 of 650 Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM

Bumping. Don't be intimidated by this thread! If you have issues with anxiety or depression just peruse this thread at your leisure and ask any questions.

#500 of 650 Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I don't think that inositol is doing enough for me, so I will be trying to supplement for the following conditions described by The Mood Cure:

# The Dark Cloud of Depression
# The Blahs
# Anxiety and Stress

This mostly involves taking 5HTP, tyrosine, and GABA. I hope that this isn't a giant waste of money
So, it's been more than two months that I've been taking 5HTP, tyrosine, and GABA, according to the recommendations in The Mood Cure.

I can definitely confirm that these supplements are working for me . Dh agrees. I still have all the same emotions, but my reactions are a bit more buffered. I am not feeling that same steam-coming-out-of-the-ears stress as frequently. I have a bit more energy and oomph to be productive (though procrastination is still a challenge for me ). And I am feeling a bit more optimistic - that I can laugh at some of the crises and chaos around here. The one day that I forgot to take the supplements, I had a long crying jag and also felt super-stressed. It was a difficult day, but my reaction was much more intense than on days when I've taken my supplements.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that these supplements are working. There are so many supplements being hawked these days. They are easily available at my local health food store (I got them at Sweet Cherubim). I have calculated that they are costing me quite a bit ($64.50 per month ) - for some reason I was underestimating the cost before. But it's totally worth it for me and I may be able to get a better price if I hunt around. Plus, the idea is that one shouldn't necessarily have to take the supplements indefinitely.

I am wondering whether a dietary change could have contributed to a change in my amino acid balance. In the summer our family started cutting back on meat and animal foods significantly, due to dh's health issue. Probably 90% of my meals are vegan now, so that could have contributed to my being deficient in certain amino acids .

My current supplementation regime:
  • 1000 mg tyrosine
  • 100 mg 5-HTP
  • 100 mg GABA
  • Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil - 1-2 tsp per day (going for 1500-2000 IU per day)
  • B-complex capsule
  • 750 mg calcium + 750 mg magnesium

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#501 of 650 Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM

wow, this thread is amazing but overwhelming. i feel like i should be taking notes.

bottom line, i am moody as hell, exhausted (sleep-deprived and there's only so much i can do about it with an 8 month old who wakes constantly), anxious, and nursing an 8.5 month old

i have taken anti-depressants in the past but don't want to go that route right now. i very much relate to the "under a dark cloud" description and scored high on that. what can i take?

oh, my current mood/sleep regimen is CLO, vitamin B, cal-mag, selenium, iodine, chinese herbs from my acupuncturist, and some other stuff for other things (cranberry, fenugreek, probiotics). i also take white chestnut bach flower essence from time to time and rescue sleep every night. i read 5-HTP is no good when you're nursing--what is?

ETA: well, i read the whole thread (more or less), and it seems 5-HTP may or may not be okay for nursing, depending on who you ask. i also realized i should probably definitely (lol) take GABA...i scored very high on the anxiety and stress section and the "under a dark cloud" section. the other two were okay.

so i'm thinking 5-HTP or tyrosine (is that right?) for the "dark cloud" feeling, GABA for anxiety and SLEEP (huge issue for me since DD was born), and inositol for good measure.

i'm also thinking of trying the "elm" bach flower essence, since the description fits me. i feel completely overwhelmed with responsibility!

any feedback? i just want to try something NOW while i'm waiting for _the mood cure_ to arrive (ordered it).

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#502 of 650 Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi!

I am still taking my thyroid hormon (L-Thyroxin 75ug) and I feel very well..
I also take bioidentical Progesteron from day 12. of my cycle..I do not need neither 5htp nor L-Tyrosin anymore..

More information about thyroid as a cause of PPD can you read here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=747775

Pregnant women have to check their thyroid as well, if they get depressed ..otherwise it can get even worser after giving birth

Please do not forget: the cause of PPD has to be properly treated not only the symptoms!! Depressions can be only symptoms!

Blanca
#503 of 650 Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM

#504 of 650 Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 AM

Angela - sound like a good start. Perhaps try one or two for 4-5 days and see how you feel, like introducing new foods to your baby.

And speaking of food: Don't forget to eat lots of protein! When I was pregnant I went for 80g a day and it was hard. At the height of nursing I tried for 50 g and it was still a struggle. I'm barely nursing now (*sniff*) but still have to eat those eggs in the AM and some meat for dinner. Middle of the day is still a struggle for me.

#505 of 650 Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 AM

what a read! this thread is HUGE..
#506 of 650 Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 AM

I saw this thread just now and am so excited. I read the mood cure and was so happy, but then was worried about amino supps and bfing, so didn't do it.
I have dealt with depression off and on since teen yrs, but it came back in force when pregnancy with my last dd (who is now 8 mos) -- major anxiety, no motivation, could not cope with any amount of stress...I thought I was getting better after having her, but it's gotten worse (DH says she stole all my happy hormones *she is the HAPPIEST thing*). So I'm gonna run to the hfs in the morning and try out some supps. I'm going to try a low dose of 5-htp as my supply could honestly stand to be less...I just cannot tell you how thrilled I am to find something natural that is working for you all!

I wonder if these are still helping FireFaery?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#507 of 650 Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Still here! I actually corrected my imbalances and don't need to supplement anymore. Sooo, I'd say yes. It helped and is still helping depending on how you look at it!
#508 of 650 Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 AM

That is so awesome! You are now officially my hero. That is so where I want to be! I am not a medication person and am adamantly opposed to AD for myself. I have -the mood cure -but got hung up on the bfing issue.
So now to read _depression free for life_ as well.
Were you able to figure this out on your own, or did you have expert help as well?
We live rurally and there is no way I will go to one of the local drs here...I have found a ND a few hrs away that deals with hormones, depression, thyroid, ect. I am having the hardest time just making the call to even find out if she could help. I guess I'm too much of a DIYer...
We also don't have a ton of money. I think part of my reluctance is that I'd hate to go and have the advice be something I adamantly oppose--HRT, ect, that I'd have to be on forever and that wouldn't really fix it. I want my body to make its own hormones, ect. I don't want a crutch... However, I have no problem paying out for supps that will help me recover! So, anyway, all that to say I'm glad you did it!

typos likely

#509 of 650 Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I had a homeopath (the one who originally suggested inositol) but beyond that I pretty much did it on my own. I didn't have any other "docs" but I did have friends who were in the business and I bounced ideas off of them.

Unless you have a recommendation for a great practitioner I doubt most would be of any use. Really all you want them for is the biochemical stuff which you *can* figure out on your own.

I think you'd be fine hanging in on this thread and listening to all the fabulous advice women here give.

I also highly suggest bach flowers if they resonate with you.
#510 of 650 Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Okay, I guess I thought somehow that you were seeing a dr. at the time. It gets better and better!
I use the rescue remedy. Could you suggest a few books on homeopathy and flower essences? (Or anything else you found useful?) Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

Did you get any blood work/hormone/thyroid testing done? I'm experiencing some things such as no libido, ect that make me wonder if I ought to...I wonder if I there are any labs that would let me do it without a dr? Hmm...just thinking out loud. Thanks again, Firefaery
If anyone esle has any input, I'd love suggestions/thoughts!

typos likely

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page