a true natural remedy? - Page 22 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#631 of 650 Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pretty much have read this whole thread. I am very newly pregnant and my depression and anxiety are getting out of hand.

I am going to see a therapist tomorrow. I have the Rebuild from Depression book and eat TF, grain free. I just could not stop obsessing about phytic acid. Grain free was/is just easier for me.

I am trying to track down the Mood Cure. And start with some high quality B vits. Where I live I can only get them with folic acid. I have read that folate is superior to folic acid. I would prefere a food based B vitamin.

Anyway. I am terrified of experiencing PPD. I know I am at high risk.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#632 of 650 Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread! Quick story on me: I dealt with somewhat bad PPD after having my first (went on Zoloft) and terrible anxiety after my 2nd (Paxil.) While the meds did work, I really prefer natural remedies. After having my 3rd baby almost a year ago, I was determined to try something natural before drugs. I talked with my Osteopathic doctor and she recommended 5-HTP. I tried that and it helped a lot, but then I added L-Tyrosine and what a difference! I have felt great this entire past year - even with having a colicy baby, a husband away a lot on travel, and homeschooling my oldest - previously any one of those three things would have caused me a lot of anxiety! I also supplement with fish oil, calcium, magnesium, B-vitamins, and Vitamin D.

DH & I are now trying for our 4th and I began dreading having to quit my supplements, as I have dealt with severe depression/anxiety during pregnancy as well. I ran out of my L-Tyrosine about a month ago and decided to see how I did without it. Within a week, I was moody, depressed, irritable, anxious, and wondering what on earth was wrong with me. I started back on the L-Tyrosine. Within a couple days, I was back to normal. Clearly, it makes a big difference for me.

All that being said, I am so relieved to have found this thread and while I will stop the 5-HTP, I will continue to take L-Tyrosine during my next pregnancy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

~Erika, wife to Nate / Mom to Nathan, Emily, and Joshua
#633 of 650 Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#634 of 650 Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM

oh I'm so glad I noticed this post... I've read through about 15 pages and have decided to try inositol, not sure tho does this need to be taken with niacin or choline? (both were mentioned as something that should be taken with it but I have no clue, I was writing everything down as I came to it and I'm just not sure.) also, I think I will try 5htp, gaba, L-theanine and calcium/mag. I'm taking B-complex currently - its all I'm taking. I also am getting wonderful sunshine... vit D.
Inositol sounds amazing! and I'm anxious to try it.
#635 of 650 Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Ok so I've read this thread & I now have the book, but it is still pretty confusing as to what I'm supposed to take! I've adjusted my diet to include much more protein & more good fats & I'm getting rid of most refined grains, & I've begun to exercise. I guess I've been a yo-yo dieter for the last 10 years of my life. When I diet I do it right by eating plenty of the right foods, typically dropping & gaining the same 20-ish pounds each year or two. I have gone from being a work out fanatic to being totally sedentary! From eating a perfect diet to not giving a crap & back too many times to count. If there is a name other than yo-yo dieter I'd love to know it because I feel like it is a major part of my issues besides anxiety. I also know that when I work out & eat right I feel better but I get kinda obsessed with it & it takes over until I can't do it any longer & I stop without looking back until one day I have the courage to step on the scale to see that after all that hard work the pounds have come back. The last couple times I really thought I had it figured out & that I'd never be starting over again! And here I am! Do any of you have experience or advice in this area? Therapy?

I just started taking my multi after reading this thread & I had not taken it for a while, but the book says to take 4-6 multi a day?! But my multi is a one a day so I don't want to go over board. When I run out I want to try True balance. How many 4/day? I'm also taking fish oil, please remind me what the best brand is because I'm taking Trader Joe's & it has soy in it & I avoid GMO stuff & I'm unsure if TJ's uses gmo for their non-organic stuff, anyone know? I think Carlson's is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure?? I'm also taking calcium, magnesium & D. I want to add a B-complex but it says to use a coenzymate type B which is sub-lingual & all tha tI've looked at so far look to be too high in B-12. I'll look for the brands recommended in the book. I also want to take 5-HTP I think, as well as True focus & inusitol. My main issue is anxiety, depression is pretty mild most of the time. I also suffer with PMS pretty bad most months, although not always. But the book doesn't really tell you what is better for anxiety so I don't know really what I should take. I've taken the tests in the book, I've scored high in all areas. There are so many supplements & she says to start taking them all at once & there is no way that I can swallow that many pills a day let alone afford to buy all of them! But I really need to do something because my anxiety isn't getting better own. I think I'll add the 5-HTP & B's for now.

Thanks
~Maria

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#636 of 650 Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'smomma View Post
oh I'm so glad I noticed this post... I've read through about 15 pages and have decided to try inositol, not sure tho does this need to be taken with niacin or choline? (both were mentioned as something that should be taken with it but I have no clue, I was writing everything down as I came to it and I'm just not sure.) also, I think I will try 5htp, gaba, L-theanine and calcium/mag. I'm taking B-complex currently - its all I'm taking. I also am getting wonderful sunshine... vit D.
Inositol sounds amazing! and I'm anxious to try it.
I just ordered Inositol and 5htp... I am also unsure about the others but I figured I would start with this. I also take a b complex and Vitamin D.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#637 of 650 Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but just wanted to add that my midwife told me to take up to 10000 UI of fish oil daily to deal with depression. She said studies show it is as effective as being on anti-depressents.
It really helps.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#638 of 650 Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Hey, has anyone had any problems with nightmares when taking 5htp? My mom's doc told her to take it but she's scared to have nightmares.....
#639 of 650 Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM

ok so it IS SAFE while BFing to take inositol and 5-htp correct?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#640 of 650 Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielasmommy09 View Post
ok so it IS SAFE while BFing to take inositol and 5-htp correct?
I don't know about inositol... but the Mood Cure says if you're bfing to take tryptophan instead of 5-HTP. (Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP.)

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#641 of 650 Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Hi Mammas....

This thread is awesome!

My DS is now almost 9 months old and I am getting honest with myself that I probably have some mild to moderate PPD. I am going to dust off my copy of the Mood Cure and read it cover to cover again! (I think I bought it 4 years ago or something....) The problem (and good thing, of coruse) is that I am a nursing momma....so I want to be very careful with anything I take.......

But, my question is....did anyone else feel great when pregnant (a few mood swings- but not too bad!)? Honestly, it was the best I ever felt as far as my mood goes (and my DH agreed!)....so clearly I have a hormonal issue going on (and always have.....tough times with PMS for sure!). I am hoping the aminos, etc. will balance my hormones as well as the neurotransmitters? I suppose they are all connected....so perhaps?
#642 of 650 Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 AM

BUMPING this great thread!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#643 of 650 Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bumping up an old thread. I ordered Rainbow Light Prenatals, Vitex, GABA, St John's Wort, Chlorella, and a new fish oil PlusEPA. Would EPO be overkill? I have dreadful anxiety, OCD, and PPD. I need to do something. If I take Vit D I bruise like crazy, so that's one thing I can't take. But I'm also breastfeeding, so I'm less sure if Inositol or Tryptophan would be ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! redface.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#644 of 650 Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Hi I was just wondering if you took it during your pregnancy and if all was well and when in your pegancy did you start it. It helps er so muchmore than syntroid and I'm just wondering if I should continue to take it. Thanks
#645 of 650 Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM

So I have been reading through this thread for a few weeks. I decided to join so I could add my input. After reading through a bunch of these seeing what people used and what was safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding, I found some are considered safe and some aren't, through people's testimonies and through research of my own. I started the Inositol and started out small and worked my way up to 6g. I noticed a bunch of hair loss in me and my baby girl. She is almost 4 months old. It could be coincidence or post-partum hormones could be playing their part. Never had hair loss after my son, but every pregnancy situation is different. I started to notice rapid roller coaster emotions and inability to concentrate. L-Tyrosine helped with alertness and when stopped I couldn't concentrate again. I went to my local health foods store and talked to one of their experts on natural supplements. They were extremely knowledgable and helpful, as usual and actually made me a copy out of their go-to encyclopedia on what is best for women to take while breastfeeding or pregnant. The first thing that came up on the list that is supposedly the closest thing to a pharmaceutical is SAM-e (S-Adenosylmethionine). It's good for depression, anxiety and bipolar. The next thing on the list was natural progesterone, which I didn't go into further. The next thing on the next thing was a really good Omega 3 supplement, which I had also read about elsewhere. I got their ultimate omega 3 supplement, lemon flavor. It's their purest and best fish oil. A little pricey, but was on sale (by the way, puritan.com is the best place to find inexpensive supplements, like buy 2 get 3 free Inositol powder and so on). The next thing on the list was GABA. She told me to try the SAM-e before taking the GABA, but it was fine to take with the inositol. Magnesium is another one and supposedly it's hard to overdose on. Vitamin B you can overdose on and a lot of this stuff is a form of vitamin B, like Inositol. As well as vitamin B, amino acids seem to play a key role. Another thing I found very interesting is people's diets playing a role in all of this. Sugar being a big one. I have been addicted to sugar for a while. It's gotten worse with age and pregnancies. There are supplements out there that help curb sugar addictions. I can't remember the name of them, but it's easily google-able. I've seen the book The Mood Cure mentioned quite a few times throughout this blog and it looks very interesting and insightful. I may have to get it and read it. It seems that the same concoction doesn't work for everyone. Especially if someone has an undiagnosed form of bipolar. It's kind of a trial and error with different supplements. Oh, I forgot to mention, I had read that the 5 htp is not safe when pregnant or breast feeding and either is tryptophan, even though it seems some people on here have taken it while BF or preggo and haven't had any problems. The L-tyrosine and Inositol say you should stay cautious if taking while BFing, but people seem to be taking those and are fine and so are their babies. Not to mention the Inositol is also used to help people who are having trouble ovulating and many people have claimed to get pregnant while on it (it's crazy because inositol actually has many many uses for a wide range of things). Inositol is also used in premies in the hospital, I believe it was to help them feed better. Don't have the article right in front of me at the moment. But if it's been safely used in premies, then I think it should be safe for breastfeeding. The L-tyrosine doesn't say it has any known effects on children or babies. The only thing that could possibly make me nervous in the case of pregnancy or nursing with any of these is serious long term use. I had read somewhere along the line about liver issues with long term use and I want to say that was the L-tyrosine, but I can't recall exactly. Look up each supplement on WebMD before taking, weather preggo, nursing or not. Anyway, I hope this helps some pregnant and nursing moms. Sorry to blabb everyone's head off.

#646 of 650 Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM

I have had a LOT of problems with postpartum depression and would love to try this stuff if it's okay to take while nursing. Does it affect the baby at all? What if 5-htp? So many questions....

#647 of 650 Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM

The 5htp supposedly has possible side effects and is not safe according to webmd. I would stay on the side of caution. I just wrote a whole post above yours on this stuff while nursing. 

#648 of 650 Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 AM

This thread is a life saver! I hope the topic isnt dead but here is the regimen I am planning on starting asap:
St johns wort
B 100 complex
Flax seed oil and hemp protein powder in morning smoothies
Mag/calm powder
Country lif omega 3 mood
Eve pimrose oil capsules
Folic acid
Sun exposure (its winter here but morning is ideal)
Tons of water and healthy eating
Execise each day
Meditate when possible but always before bedtime
Self care particularly keepng a mood journal
Read the mood cure
Take a wam bath with epsom salts and essential oils every night**
I am also going to seek out a talking therapist. I dont have insurance but I know its worth the money.

I am bf my newbrj but whn I am no longrr I want to try 5htp and inositol f the abov isnt cutting it. I still have to do some more research and tinkering with dosage...I will keep this thread updated on my progress smile.gif
#649 of 650 Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm now down to just taking SAM-e, one pill in the morning and one at night. It's working good for me and a lot easier. No side effects. I'm breastfeeding 2 kids. 

jojobean likes this.
#650 of 650 Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM

So glad this thread is here.  I suffered from depression and PMDD horribly.  I have thought it was PPD, but really I may have had issues for many years.  A few years after the birth of my DD1 I went on Citalopram.  I was on it for 9 months and went off right away when I found out I was pregnant.  Fast forward to now.  My moods have steadily shifted...I scored high in three tests from TMC.  I...never want to return to the place I was mentally before.  :(  I do not want to go on an AD if I can help it.  

I went out and bought these today.  L-tyrosene, L-tryptophan, GABA, Inositol, St Johns Wort, Sam-e

I took 1 capsule each of L;tyrosene, L-tryptophan, GABA.  I took about 2g Inositol, and total 2 capsules St Johns.  

I also took about 1200mg fish oil, will add CLO tonight, cal/mag, b100, 

I may take out the St Johns and add in the SAM-E, after I research some more to make sure I can take all of these with SAM-E (if someone knows, feel free to answer :wink).

I have been more patient today...but that could be a placebo effect. shrug.gif  I haven't had an "anger attack" today...(for me this will happen during the day where I get very worked up and flustered about say, the state of the house, And it becomes the only focal point and I get very short until whatever it is that I am hyperfocusing on is taken care of).  

Partner to DPshamrocksmile.gif SAHM to DS(8)guitar.gif, DD (4)blahblah.gif, and DD (oct 12) babyf.gifcountry livin', baby-led weaning, homeschooling, co-sleeping family

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page