a true natural remedy? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xenomama -- the tryptophan will likely affect you like the 5HTP. Both are very strong and you may want to take much smaller doses of the tryptophan to start.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#182 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Xenomama, yes do watch that you're not getting too much of any one thing. Especially watch your Vit B intake. Many of these supplements have various B Vits added. Likely, you'll just excrete what you don't need. I'm admittedly more cautious about this b/c I'm pregnant and don't know what the effects may be (and neither does anyone I ask). But do know that Vits B are also really good for improving mood. My dh found that is one thing that really has a positive effect on him.

And for anyone avoiding grains, Vit B may be a good addition to your supplement routine as grains tend to be one of our big sources of B vits.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#183 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

It's one of the reasons I really like doing a broad spectrum B supplement...in a good brand they are good sources and act in concert so you are getting what you need. I get worried about people supplementing with individual B's. Even with 5-HTP which works better with P5P I like the high quality brands that include it so it's the most effective it can be.
#184 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 PM

BTW while taking CLO make sure your stomach is full...you will less likely burp it up.
#185 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
BTW while taking CLO make sure your stomach is full...you will less likely burp it up.
that sounds so sensible. probably why i didn't think of it.
#186 of 650 Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 PM

FWIW, We use the Carlson brand of CLO, and none of us have had the burping issue. We also take it at night right after dinner, before bedtime.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...l?prodid=00205

#187 of 650 Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM

Most of the amino acids (l-glutamine, 5http) say not for bfing moms. Is that just a CYA thing? Also, what are the good brands?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#188 of 650 Old 05-24-2006, 02:08 PM

I think it's a CYA thing. I consulted with a naturopath and a MW when I got pregnant and both were very certain that these are fine. If you're not comfortable taking supplements you can also do a big increase in your protein intake, especially fish. Also, Cod Liver Oil is now recommended for pregnant and nursing women since it's good for babies' brain development.

#189 of 650 Old 05-24-2006, 05:29 PM

Ladies- this is all really great info and alot to digest!
I am on Day 4 of what I am calling Effexor Detox- so far so good. Supplementing like mad with Salmon oil, Stress B tabs, St. John's Wort, Gingko
Anyhow- just wanted to pose 1 question-- don't you feel that by using the Amino's, which obviously affects the Seratonin levels in much the same way SSRI's do, that you are only substituting one evil for another??? Obviously a much more natural and safe evil.
#190 of 650 Old 05-24-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergirl
Ladies- this is all really great info and alot to digest!
I am on Day 4 of what I am calling Effexor Detox- so far so good. Supplementing like mad with Salmon oil, Stress B tabs, St. John's Wort, Gingko
Anyhow- just wanted to pose 1 question-- don't you feel that by using the Amino's, which obviously affects the Seratonin levels in much the same way SSRI's do, that you are only substituting one evil for another??? Obviously a much more natural and safe evil.
No, not at all. Paxil killed my emotions, my mothering instincts, my sex drive and made my hair fall out. Aminos made me feel like my normal self, allowed me to care for my child properly, helped my hair grow back, and actually healed the deficiencies that were causing my anxiety. I'm pregnant now, with increased protein and other nutritional requirements, so I'm back on aminos, but I was actually able to go off them, without any side effects, for some time. I only needed a little extra tyrosine or GABA when in a particularly stressful situation. Paxil, and other SSRIs, don't heal, they are only a crutch.

Good luck in your detox. I hope your withdrawel is not too painful!

#191 of 650 Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM

So, if they 'heal' as you say, then theorically you can eventually go off them right??? You say you went off the Amino's with no withdrawal??
What, on avg did you spend a month on the Amino supps???
I am thinking of trying them- but they are quite pricey. I am thinking though that if I switch to Amino's, then I could stop the Salmon Oil, St. John's Wort and Gingko- so it may all work out in the end.
Sorry for being a pain- I just don't want to start another 'addiction"- KWIM??
Oh- and as for the hair loss-- was I right in thinking I read that the Amino's can cause hair loss as well??? I am quite thin in the front, which I am now wondering if it is from the Effexor I was on. However I don't want to lose anymore- that would cause a whole other set a baggage I don't need!!!!!
#192 of 650 Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM

No, the aminos helped grow my hair back. I had a whole other regimine for that at the time, too. It included MSM, zinc, iron...I can look up the rest for you later. The Effexor could be contributing to hair loss. Mine was thinning at the hairline in front and on the sides. You could see the freckles on my scalp and my scalp burned and crawled.

I'm not exactly sure how much we spend a month on the aminos. Both my dh and I take them. A bottle of 5HTP, tyrosine and GABA cost about $45 combined and we probably go through a bottle of each, at this point, every 4-6 weeks. We probably went through them faster in the beginning b/c we were taking so much more. Now we're down to one of each a day. Not much more than I was paying for a subscription for Paxil. And lots cheaper than the counseling we were considering!!

#193 of 650 Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 PM

lasergirl -- I've had no w/drawal symptoms with aminos, just a return of my depression symptoms.

What aminos are you going to take? Are you getting blood work or going with a trial-and-error approach?

I would not stop the salmon oil since that will have additional benefits over the aminos. In fact, I would take a bit of cod liver oil in addition to get vit A and D. (Sorry to add something to the list.) Omega-3 fatty acids are used in research studies in along with meds and they have an added benefit. They should also with aminos.

I actually see amino acid therapy as a good survival tool but at the end of the day we all need to figure out why we needed the aminos. That can be a very long process -- vitamins and minerals, enzymes, digestive issues, etc. I say the same thing about antidepressants, so I see why you asked the question you asked. But, particularly when the aminos are based on blood work, there is a much lower risk of side effects and they are helping in other body functions besides keeping you from going bananas.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#194 of 650 Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Sorry Gale- the amino's didn't help your depression???
I will be doing trial and error. See what happens- I am feeling pretty good with just the supp's I am taking.
#195 of 650 Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergirl
Sorry Gale- the amino's didn't help your depression???
I will be doing trial and error. See what happens- I am feeling pretty good with just the supp's I am taking.
They were like manna from heaven. They definitely helped. My point is that if you need aminos in the first place (which is probably most people on this forum), you shouldn't quit your search for the cause of your depression because there is a reason you are not digesting your proteins properly and you should discover what that is even if you start to feel better.

#196 of 650 Old 05-28-2006, 09:04 AM

So I picked up Mood Cure last night. Made total sense to me- we'll see if it helps. I need to pick up some Tyrosine- sounds like that is what I need.
#197 of 650 Old 05-28-2006, 10:06 AM

This is what I get for not checking this thread...

Re: detoxing - it's not the detoxifier I'd fear, it's the toxins being released into your bloodstream and breastmilk

Re: brands - The Mood Cure suggests Country Life and Source Naturals for some items

Re: cost - I have very little to spend on aminos, but it's worth the investment. I can't continue to feel this way and raise my daughters in a home where Mommy's always angry and overwhelmed. I definitely love that the Mood Cure talks about the point of aminos being to get off of them. She says you'll probably need them for 3-12 months, but you must improve your diet.

Re: CLO - I got the cinnamon and I still hate it. I'm going to try it on a full stomach and at night. I just REALLY hate it. I don't like it mixed into food or anything.

I'm slowly figuring out what's working and what's not. GABA doesn't seem to do anything for me, and I question the tyrosine. I'm wondering if it's the brand or if I don't need it. Or maybe the effect is subtle and I'm not noticing it? I'm up to 4 tryptophans spaced out during the day. That's where I see the biggest impact. Tryptophan makes me "me" again.

I will tell you that I really see the difference when I don't take my regimen. It's a real pain in the ass, but it helps so much. I agree with the PP about continuing the search for the cause of the problem. I have a pretty good diet, actually, when I pay attention to it. I'm wondering if it's that I was making poor diet choices, or if it was childbirth, my life stresses (lots of big stuff in the last year), or my body being unable to process stuff. Or maybe all of them?
#198 of 650 Old 05-30-2006, 12:50 PM

Subscribing...

I'm slowly realizing that I have some PPD symptoms and am eagerly trying to absorb all the great info in this thread. I just got a B complex vitamin, am taking omega-3s, and am also looking into starting inositol.

my problem is, when i am depressed, I feel spacey and sometimes forget to take supplements. do you all have a system for staying on top of it? sorry if this was already addressed - I am still reading through this thread.
#199 of 650 Old 05-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Welcome to the thread, Leah!

My most reliable times to take my supplements are first thing in the morning, when I'm waking up and figuring out what to eat (I read that it's best to take my L-tyrosine on an empty stomach anyway)
and right before bed- the GABA helps me so much with getting a solid night's sleep, it's a powerful reminder to take it- along with my calcium/mag.
For midday stuff, I keep a little dish with my flax/borage, EPO, and multivitamins right where I can see them when I'm making lunch (up high where the kids can't see/reach- they don't even know it's there ) So I see that dish and know whether I've taken what I need to for the day. I like that they're easy to grab with one hand so I can down them and be done with it, since I usually only have one hand free at a time these days.

Best of luck! I have been so thankful to get the relief I've had from these supplements... if only I could get childcare more often for more acupuncture

By the way, I got Depression-Free For Life, but for some reason am resisting reading it yet. Maybe I'm wanting change to happen gradually so I can adjust, maybe I'm distracted by the huge messy renovation we're living in, maybe I don't want to think about this stuff for a while... will keep y'all posted. I'm still examining my thoughts and feelings about the possibility of adding some meat protein to my diet. It's a lot to sort through.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#200 of 650 Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Hey everyone, this is a little off the subject, but just wanted to say I started my natural regime today. Ugh, I have to have fish oil after every meal, it's all thick and hard to swallow, I wish I had the capsules but my naturopath gave me this stuff... and I had to drink my b vits! That wasnt' to good either, I've heard those also come in caps. I pm'd somone that said she'd done homeopathic remedies like sepia and she said it worked right away for her. Like the same day! It's supposed to balance your hormones i think... I took my dose this morning and didn't notice anything... hmmm. Will let yall know how this goes, Talk to yall later............Naomi

Mom to Gabriel Thomas*My Angel*3-1-06:
#201 of 650 Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Good start! Homeopathy is amazing, but you need to have your right remedy. Don't get frustrated if this isn't it. It's not one of those "take this for depression" things. Dh and I both take remedies for depression as does one of my best friends and they are all different. THe point of homeopathy is balancing, so once you get the right one it all falls into place.
#202 of 650 Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 PM

Subscribing too. How did I not know this thread existed!?

I took lexapro through 2 pregnancies and through nursing 2 babies. Cut my dose in 1/2 in NOvember and last week stopped the meds altogether. For the last 4 months I've been supplementing and have GREATLY improved my diet which is really the only reason why I feel okay doing this right now. So far, so good.

Haven't read the whole thread yet but definitely will be hanging out here some!
#203 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 01:35 AM

Thanks firefaery for replying, I'm wondering how long I should give the sepia a chance...? Like I said I've heard it's supposed to work right away, but sounds a little bit hard to believe! That amino acid therapy sounds really interesting but I figured I'd try this first. Man but this diet is HARD to stick to, I think it's called the anti-inflammatory diet. I can't have milk, cheese, bread, sugar, not even freakin' tomatoes or potatoes! I don't mind this but it's just the inconvenience I guess. I know it's gonna be hard to not just eat whatever the rest of the family is eating. And the cost of that Organic food! But i guess that means it's healthy.
#204 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 AM

BTW anikate, I'm on lexapro too (20 mg) but am weaning slowly. It did help me a bit -in fact a couple times I even felt back to normal. But I'd always go down again. I've heard that's a normal part of recovery but it seemed I spent more time down than up ... Like right now I feel as if i have a small dark cloud over my head to where i just can't be truly happy. If that makes any sense. I am kindof scared to wean (i just started today) because I was a TOTAL mess before meds but hopefully I'll find the right thing for me, NATURALLY!!!!!!!!
#205 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

did you take it on your own or was it given to you by a practitioner? How are you taking it-dosage, amount and frequency? It can be an immediate difference, I've never had a remedy take more than a week for a total turnaround.

Diet changes are always difficult. But you aren't alone! We haven't done many foods for over a year now. IT's just second nature at this point.
#206 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Hello. To answer your question, I was given a dose when I first went to see the naturopath (she mixed 1 tsp. of sepia in 1/2 cup of water and then I took a tsp. of that). A few min. later she asked if I noticed anything and I said no and she said it's probably to soon to tell anyway. I was like then why'd you ask! Lol, j/k. Anyway I'm supposed to do this every morning and if i feel my depression is worsening I should take another dose-up to 5 a day. She said less is more so don't take another dose unless I'm really getting worse. I was thinking if me still being on my med would effect it somehow, I dont know. Are you taking just a homeopathic remedy or other stuff as well,like aminos? I;m so glad i found this thread where people actually know what I'm talking about, my family thinks i'm so weird right now with all this stuff! Anyways Thanks for getting back firefaery!
#207 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh-homeopathy has been my favorite modality (helped by the fact that I have an AMAZING homeopath) for years. I am on a constitutional-as are my kids and dh. My mother is treating leukemia with it now and is off all chemo (has been since she started and her blood counts are awesome!)

I take supplements which facilitate the healing. IF you are deficient then it's important to do so (*I* think) that will get you there faster. BUT homeopathy will create the underlying change very fast and speeds the process along quite nicely. The biggest problem for most is to see that change you need to be treated constitutionally. Treating acutely generally doesn't produce the kind of lasting change you'd want.

A homeopath is very different from a naturopath and they are trained to use homeopathy in a very different way. I use an ND and a DhT. The ND is great for supplement help...but my DhT is my real healer.

I use B vitamins, inositol (which is a b vitamin derivative) CLO- a high and low vitamin, L glutamine, MSM, zinc, magnesium and my remedy. I also use Bach Flowers when I get into a really bad place. Oh-and I shouldn't forget the significant dietary changes I have made! They are great too. Hope you find some answers soon!
#208 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Oh-homeopathy has been my favorite modality (helped by the fact that I have an AMAZING homeopath) for years. I am on a constitutional-as are my kids and dh. My mother is treating leukemia with it now and is off all chemo (has been since she started and her blood counts are awesome!)

I take supplements which facilitate the healing. IF you are deficient then it's important to do so (*I* think) that will get you there faster. BUT homeopathy will create the underlying change very fast and speeds the process along quite nicely. The biggest problem for most is to see that change you need to be treated constitutionally. Treating acutely generally doesn't produce the kind of lasting change you'd want.

A homeopath is very different from a naturopath and they are trained to use homeopathy in a very different way. I use an ND and a DhT. The ND is great for supplement help...but my DhT is my real healer.

I use B vitamins, inositol (which is a b vitamin derivative) CLO- a high and low vitamin, L glutamine, MSM, zinc, magnesium and my remedy. I also use Bach Flowers when I get into a really bad place. Oh-and I shouldn't forget the significant dietary changes I have made! They are great too. Hope you find some answers soon!
Ditto. Classical homeopathy, by a gifted practitioner, is Amazing. We are all on constitutional remedies and it is very, very influential to our emotional states. We also make significant dietary changes, avoiding dairy, soy, wheat, HFCS and follow the Feingold diet, (thinking of SCD), and are supplementing with CO, CLO and Mg, B-vits. But, I'd say that the homeopathy is the most potent variable.

I am curious about the amino acids variable, but the underlying immune response of the gut/whole body is supported by homeopathy. I am evangelical about homeopathy.

Pat

I have a blog.
#209 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

It's a whole different animal, eh, Pat? Homeopathy works on the premise that the imbalance shouldn't be there in the first place-so you're working to take the imbalance away. In theory you don't need anything else. The reason we do other things is to bridge the gap. Homeopathy will heal up the gut and allow you to absorb more nutrients to fix the problem, but it may take some time. I wouldn't make the choice to be malnourished just to use homeopathy exculsively. They are complimentary. I will eventually get off the supplements will the help of my remedy which has done wonders for anger, depression, obsessive thinking and many other things. It helps my particular "constitution."

We have celiac disease and my homeopath firmly believes that with the rightr remedy it won't be an issue anymore. But finding that is like peeling an onion...we keep getting beneath layers and having HUGE changes that create a shift to allow more changes to happen. We love it!
#210 of 650 Old 05-31-2006, 03:23 PM

what does being treated constitutionally mean?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page