a true natural remedy? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 650 Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is a PPD thread, but ...

Has anyone used amino therapy with their children, as well? I have read The Mood Cure twice in the past week -- it is poorly edited and it's difficult to put it all together, especially with only one reading -- and DH is reading it now. We can both see huge issues in multiple areas, and intend to start supplementing ASAP. (We -- okay I -- already do most of the dietary suggestions, as I've been following NT principles for awhile now. I am planning to completely remove grains of all kinds from our diets in the near future, though.)

The thing is, I can also identify many issues with DS (nearly 5). He has Celiac disease, very rarely eats meat or eggs or other high protien foods except nuts and nut butters, and has violent mood swings/abnormal outbursts/anger issues. He's had these issues for quite some time now, regardless of what I do as a parent. (I have to say that I have been an absolutely horrid, angry, irritable, overwhelmed, stressed out parent, lately. But we seem to just feed that in each other, kwim? I can't take the stress of his constant mood swings -- and I'm talking pendulum when I say swings -- and he can't take the stress of crazy mommy.) I'm thinking about using some of the amino supplements, in lesser doses, for him, too. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info, thoughts, suggestions, ideas? I'd really appreciate it.
#242 of 650 Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 PM

Boadicea, have you read any of the Healing the Gut Tribe threads? Am just wondering how much of what you describe about your ds is related to food . . .

You might want to post over there and see what others have to say.
#243 of 650 Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Yes, I have -- I follow the threads quite closely. We have been doing a lot of nutritional therapy, and DS is currently off all grains. I am slowly making my way towards SCD, but DS has a very limited diet, by his own choice. (Very little meat, very little eggs, green veggies only where I sneak 'em into him ... and then there's the no grains thing. He's a very picky eater, no matter that I have always offered fresh, whole foods.) And he does not handle change or transitions well AT. ALL. So it's very slow going.

I'm thinking the aminos might aid in making it easier for him to deal with change/anger/stress. Which, in turn, might make it easier to convince him to try more of the SCD foods.
#244 of 650 Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Boadicea- I have read in many places that pickiness is a result of allergies. I suspect this is true given my personal experience (I have a brother who is pickier than you can possible imagine. He has a severe eating disorder and can only eat eight or so things and not all at once.) I know Karen DeFelice addresses it in her book, but you may also want to check her website to see if there's anything there. It's very common to have extreme pickiness with kids on the autism spectrum (that's my brother!) If you haven't seen it it's www.enzymestuff.com So many of these things end in behavioral issues!
#245 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 AM

Boadicea,

I would use aminos before medication but I agree with the PPs about addressing other issues.

I just posted on the NT thread about foods I get my son to eat. Well, it's probably a page or two back now. An egg nog drink tops the list. Raw milk and a raw egg yolk.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#246 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Wait, wait, there's an NT thread? My local WPF list is just too busy for me to follow. Is the NT thread in Tribes or Nutrition? I strongly believe that NT principles will help to heal PPD, as well as many other conditions. The Mood Cure definitely follows NT/ WPF.
#247 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomama
Wait, wait, there's an NT thread? My local WPF list is just too busy for me to follow. Is the NT thread in Tribes or Nutrition? I strongly believe that NT principles will help to heal PPD, as well as many other conditions. The Mood Cure definitely follows NT/ WPF.
LOL xenomama. You bet there is an NT thread and there is about to be a whole traditional foods (or some such name) subforum. The problem, though, will be much like your local list. It's in the Nutrition and Good EAting Forum.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#248 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 AM

Just FYI for anyone reading -- NT is short for Nourishing Traditions a book on following traditional food preparation and dietary practices to maximize the nutrients you are absorbing. There's a huge following in the Nutrition Forum.

#249 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM

NT-May thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=445678

NT-June thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...29#post5253629

Pat

Edited to correct link.

I have a blog.
#250 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM

This is kind of a change of subject, but while reading the mood cure I noticed it mentioned sex hormone imbalances as part of pms, menopause and ppd. Do you have to do hormone balancing in addition to amino acid therapy and diet change to see a difference?
#251 of 650 Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy12002
This is kind of a change of subject, but while reading the mood cure I noticed it mentioned sex hormone imbalances as part of pms, menopause and ppd. Do you have to do hormone balancing in addition to amino acid therapy and diet change to see a difference?
I think the diet change balances the hormones. And it will also balance the amino acids, it's just a matter of whether you'll last until the time the diet and nutrients kick in.

#252 of 650 Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM

oh ok...my naturopath suggested a amino acid test to see what i'm deficient in, but it's based on my saliva and 150.00. I'm wondering if it's as good as the blood spot test you mentioned, galeforce? Then she said the supplements would be like 100-200 dollars a month! That sounds crazy b/c everyone has said like 75 dollars..............?
#253 of 650 Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM

Oh man... I guess I'm lucky to be part of a buying club where I can get my supplements at prices closer to wholesale- I spend maybe $20-30 per month. But then, I've narrowed it down to two pills a day, one L-tyrosine and one GABA, plus I keep 5-htp on hand for grouchy days.

I came to this thread to share an idea I had:

For those of you who have read the Mood Cure...
they describe the "blahs" type of depression as being related to low levels of catecholamines.
The other time I've heard this word is in learning about childbirth: as the baby travels through the birth canal, that pressure causes the baby to release 'cats', which help him/her start breathing when the time comes. (That's part of what makes c-sections riskier: the baby didn't get that squeezing preparation, which also helps get mucus out of the respiratory system before birth)
So stress/stimulation ups our cats levels.

I've been thinking: could this be a chemical explanation for why some people are drawn to self-mutilation?
And therefore: could the supplements described in The Mood Cure help people stop cutting themselves?

I saw this article today, and reminded me that I've been meaning to post about these thoughts...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13141254/
Given what I've been learning about depression and nutrition, I am troubled to read that "Treatment includes behavior therapy and keeping a written log to track what triggers the behavior."
If nutrition isn't addressed, how much can therapy help?
What about getting enough exercise?

We can't fix one part of the picture without addressing the whole thing.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#254 of 650 Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy12002
oh ok...my naturopath suggested a amino acid test to see what i'm deficient in, but it's based on my saliva and 150.00. I'm wondering if it's as good as the blood spot test you mentioned, galeforce? Then she said the supplements would be like 100-200 dollars a month! That sounds crazy b/c everyone has said like 75 dollars..............?
Have your naturopath order the blood test from either Metametrix or Doctor's Data. I have had the tests done through my chiropractor, so it doesn't have to be an M.D. I've never heard of a saliva test for aminos. The blood test was $125 and the custom supplement is now about $80/month if you take the full dose (which I did at first).

#255 of 650 Old 06-08-2006, 02:38 PM

ramlita - I'm flying through here today. I just read that headline -- 17%. Wow. Could you explain your theory more -- how low cats relate to cutting?

#256 of 650 Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Ramlita, I can't comment on the cutting thing beyond the fact that I agree that nutrition should always be addressed in psychological and behavior issues, if only so the sick person doesn't have other ailments to deal with when they're trying to get their life turned around!

But I've been meaning to post something related to catecholamines, so if you don't mind me derailing a little...

In the Nov/Dec 2005 issue of Mothering there was an article about the effects of epidurals that mentioned that they lower catecholamines, which give women the energy and urge to push and make them focus on their babies after birth. I paid close attention to the following knowing the relationship between catecholamines and protein/amino acids:

[Full article here: http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...pidurals.html]

Quote:
Adrenaline and noradrenaline (epinephrine and norepinephrine, collectively known as catecholamines, or CAs) are also released under stressful conditions, and levels naturally increase during an unmedicated labor.15 At the end of an undisturbed labor, a natural surge in these hormones gives the mother the energy to push her baby out and makes her excited and fully alert at first meeting with her baby. This surge is known as the fetal ejection reflex.16

However, labor is inhibited by very high CA levels, which may result when the laboring woman feels hungry, cold, fearful, or unsafe.17 This response makes evolutionary sense: If the mother senses danger, her hormones will slow or stop labor and give her time to flee to find a safer place to birth.

Epidurals reduce the laboring woman’s release of CAs, which may be helpful if high levels are inhibiting her labor. However, a reduction in the final CA surge may contribute to the difficulty that women laboring with an epidural can experience in pushing out their babies, and to the increased risk of instrumental delivery (forceps and vacuum) that accompanies the use of an epidural (see below).
With the birth of my first dd I had the urge to push through transition, but once I was complete, nothing. The OB made me get out of the all-fours position that was comfortable for me (and her head was almost in the birth canal), get into the supine position, and I pushed for another 2 hours. I pushed her out by sheer will. This was all a year before I discovered The Mood Cure and I know that I was very deficient in protein, just because I didn't know how much I needed.

This time, I was very careful about my protein and took extra aminos the last week of pregnancy. The night I went into labor I had a steak dinner (oh, it was good!). And I had a very strong urge to push and the time from 7 centimeters to baby out was less than 30 minutes. Of course, second babies come faster, but I feel pretty certain that my superior nutrtion this time made for a much easier labor and post-partum.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#257 of 650 Old 06-12-2006, 05:12 PM

I think somebody posted about a detox thread or tribe somewhere? Is that a detox from antidepressants? Anybody know?

I feel sooooo tired and lethargic since stopping the lexapro. Granted, I am extremely sleep deprived but this kinda feels like I'm coming down w/something. Just hope it's not a symptom yk?

Edited to Add: I found the link - it's a yahoo group. Thanks!
#258 of 650 Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadjiaSJ
I had the same feeling and that's why I started using Sam-e, I googled it and came up with this for you:
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsSAMe.php
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/sameart.html

It really helped me, I felt the difference right away, make sure you read about the nutrients needed to process it, there Bs and Folic Acid.

Much Success!
Thanks for the links. Can anyone else share what they know/experienced with Sam-e.

Dh just told me he thinks I need to think about taking the lexapro again. I have been feeling pretty overwhelmed w/things and weepy too. (I keep telling myself it's due to sleep deprivation but it's probably more than that.)

I really really really do not want to do the lexapro because I don't want to put dd through it. It's bad enough I took it during pregnancy and this whole time nursing and I don't want to put it back into her system yk?
#259 of 650 Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 PM

I have taken SAMe...I didn't take it long enough to notice much a difference..but certainly didn't hurt anything.
#260 of 650 Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 AM

Thanks cobluegirl. I actually have been taking some aminos the last couple of days and now I feel fine. DH came home early the other day and I went straight to bed. (I also had a bout of mastitis coming and was caring for my sick cat who I'd been having to force feed etc... so I had a lot going on. We had to have her put to sleep yesterday and while I'm sad, it's also a major relief too. )

Funny what sleep will do for you eh? 'Course the aminos can't hurt right?
#261 of 650 Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 PM

I have read the Mood Cure, at least some of it, along with 7 Weeks to Emotional Healing, which is very similar. I've recently also been reading "Depression Free for Life" -- but it has you not eat animal protein! It has you eating mostly nuts and seeds for protein. Weird, eh? At least they are soaked and/or sprouted, but still, goodness. He says animal proteins are hard on the body, as well as animal fats. Anyway, I actually was posting because I've discovered I have some conditions that make most of the amino acids not an option for me -- migraines, which are worse when I eat aged cheeses, walnuts, and msg (and glutamine is related to MSG), along with asthma, which supposedly can be exacerbated by tryptophan. Sigh. What's next?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#262 of 650 Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Pookietooth, l-glutamine is different from free glutamic acid.

"Although glutamine and glutamic acid have similar names, they are structurally different." Read more at: http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/S...tamic_Acid.htm You can also Google glutamine and glutamic acid to find out more.

I get migraines as well, and am extrememly sensitive to MSG. I'm not bothered by the l-glutamine. But honestly, I find that that isn't crucial for the PPD. It's the tryptophan and the tyrosine for me. If you're not nursing a little one, 5-HTP could work. It's not tryptophan. I would try the tryptophan and keep the doses low, unless your asthma attacks are severe and life-threatening. Remember that tryptophan is naturally occurring in many foods, and the effect only lasts a few hours. If you don't want to try the tablets, why not drastically increase your intake of "tryptophan" foods?

Have your tried magnesium for your migraines? I was reading something that mentioned Mg for migraines, and I was just getting to that really painful point. I dragged myself into the kitchen and took a tablet of Mg (only about 30% of RDA), and felt better within 30 minutes; completely over the 'hangover' in a few hours.
#263 of 650 Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 PM

I had to let you know that I did a yahoo search for 'l-tyrosine during pregnancy' and came back to my much loved MDC and found this awesome thread.

My story; I was on Wellbuterin for anxiety/depression. My insurance ended (by divorce) and I could no longer afford it. I did lots of research and found out a lot about the natural benefits of l-tyrosine. L-tyrosine has been such a blessing for me to help my depression/anxiety over the years. When I found out I was PG (due in Oct) I couldn't find anything to say it was okay to take being PG. It's been very hard on me emotionally during these last 6 months; unmotivated, listless, down, etc. I got it in me to research it again today and found not only this thread but a few other items that say it's ok to take l-tyrosine whilst PG. I was so happy I was HIGH ...just knowing I could once again get relief.

I went out and bought some up the street, but it has too many 'other' ingrediants for my liking. I've always used NOW Foods brand and had fantastic fortune with that, so I'll have to go out to my little health food store and grab some.

Thanks again ladies for this GREAT thread
#264 of 650 Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM

This thread is such a wonderful resource, I've not finished reading all 14 pages but I've been reading a page here and there as I've had time I wish I'd known about it when I was going through this ~ I started a thread about a book that I had read that I found to be really helpful, someone had asked that I post it here too so here ya go

A book that really helped me

Julia ~ Massage therapin, Earth lovin mama to 6 beauties!
#265 of 650 Old 06-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Hey everybody! How are you doing?

I finally read Depression-Free for Life, and it's good news!
Cousens doesn't think that everybody needs to load up on animal flesh in order to stave of depression. He describes people as being "slow oxidizers" and "fast oxidizers," and helps the reader decide which group seems to describe them. I'm "slow," and I seem to already be eating about the right ratio of fat/carb/protein for my type.
Also, he points out the EFAs are also essential for fish, who get them from algae, and recommends that we also try supplements made from that same algae. I'm delighted that I can stay vegetarian without worrying that I'm limiting the possibility for emotional health by doing so!

And overall, I'm feeling really, really good these days
Though, of course, summer makes everything easier.

My one issue right now is what used to feel like a nesting instinct when I was pregnant is now sorta smelling like agoraphobia as DS approaches his first birthday. I've never really felt this way before.
I started a thread about it here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...24#post5411924
and I'd love your input.

#266 of 650 Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM

PS:

New thoughts on GABA:

I've been having weird six week menstrual cycles that include about three weeks of PMS lately : and have found that popping one GABA really helps me calm down and not be so irritable and short tempered
(I had only been taking it before bed to help keep me from waking up in the middle of the night the way I had been.)

Also, the last few days have been really hectic, and I've forgotten to take my GABA before bed three nights in a row. The second night, I remembered some of my dreams for the first time in quite a while! I've been wondering if there's a connection with that. Cousens describes GABA as acting as a "brake" for brain activity, allowing us to stay calm and focused enough to get things done, instead of going into hyperdrive worrying and trying to think too much about too much all at once.
Anyone else notice this at all?

#267 of 650 Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 PM

I've been following this thread for some time and I'm finally going to try some of the recommendations in this thread and another poster's thread.

I'm ordering True Calm by now(combo supplement), inositol, GABA, possibly melatonin from www.vitaminlife.com. (They have really good prices and fast shipping if anyone is interested! I ordered from them a few weeks ago and was happy with their service.)

So I will hopefully have a progress report for this tribe soon.
#268 of 650 Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 PM

I decided to do a separate post addressing melatonin since I haven't seen it brought up here.

I think adequate sleep is so important to state of mind, ability to cope with daily life and especially depression issues.

I found this interesting article on this web site for nursing moms: http://neobean-org.bryght.net/node/123

[QUOTE]Mothers’ Glasses That Block Blue Light Provide Sleep Hormones for Babies
Quote:
It has been known for a number of years that melatonin, the sleep hormone produced in the pineal gland, appears in breast milk. The amount varies throughout the day and night in keeping with the amount of melatonin the mother has in her blood. It has also been known for many years that the pineal gland only produces melatonin when the individual is in darkness. Before the arrival of electric lights we were in darkness 12 hours a day, on average. Now most of us are lucky to be in darkness for 7 or 8 hours a day. For a new mother this may drop to 4 or 5 hours a day. This means the time when her milk contains melatonin may be very short. Fortunately there is a way out of this problem that may make both the babies and their mothers and fathers sleep much better.
It has a link to a company that sells glasses you can wear in the evening that block blue light, and also light bulbs that put out yellow light. Therefore it helps your body produce melatonin naturally. (The glasses seem very similar to glasses you can get at a drugstore--I see old people wearing them a lot--I tell my friend's grandma she looks like Terminator Grandma. )

I think there is definitely something to this. I have noticed a correlation between my depression symptoms and how well I sleep. The last few days my sleep has been bad and so has been my ability to function. :

I'm thinking of taking melatonin short term to see how it affects mood. I need to research some more about how it would affect nursing babe though.

Any thoughts?
#269 of 650 Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Melatonin--
Okay, I did a little more research about supplementation.

This article was interesting--it seems melatonin supplements are contraindicated with depression, and can interfere with zinc and magnesium levels.

kellymom website says it appears to be safe, but those with depression, again, should use only with doctor's approval.

So, I think I might chuck on over to Rite-Aid and get some terminator glasses to try instead. Couldn't hurt, right? (Can't wait to see DH's reaction when he gets home and I'm wearing those babies.)
#270 of 650 Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
So, I think I might chuck on over to Rite-Aid and get some terminator glasses to try instead. Couldn't hurt, right? (Can't wait to see DH's reaction when he gets home and I'm wearing those babies.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page