a true natural remedy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 650 Old 09-17-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I just heard about something really great, and was looking for some feedback. I have been really depressed for a couple of years. I have tried pretty much all the natural stuff and it wasn't helping. I'm just miserable and making my husband and kids miserable as well. I talked to my doc (I have had several people try to put me on antidepressants and it just went against my personal belief system, not to mention I couldn't afford it) and told him I was ready to try the zoloft. Right as I was starting it my doc (who is an MD as well as a DhT) asked if I had heard of Inositol. I hadn't. He told me it was an SSRI that is naturally occuring in food. Everyone gets some every day, but in large doses it is as effective as prozac or zoloft. It affects the brain the same way. I looked it up and it appears that it is relatively well researched and pretty darn effective-especially when taken with 5-htp. I'm starting it now and will post my results. If it's as good as it sounds then it's a great alternative for those who can't or don't want to so meds. Has anyone heard of it or tried it?
#2 of 650 Old 09-17-2004, 11:21 PM

I posted a question about the supplement in the nutrition forum but noone responded. I've heard great things too...if it's compatable with nursing, I may take some supplements since it's also been found to work with PP-anxiety/panic.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 650 Old 09-18-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
I looked it up and it appears that it is relatively well researched and pretty darn effective-especially when taken with 5-htp.
If you get the chance, do you mind posting links to the research you found? Thanks--and good luck with it!
#4 of 650 Old 09-18-2004, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently it is, because my doc surely knows I am! I'm really excited.
#5 of 650 Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 PM

This is an interesting thread because I am prone to post partum depression. We're planning to have another baby and of course I will breastfeed, so knowing of some natural resources for ppd will be very helpful for me.
Kerry Harley likes this.
#6 of 650 Old 09-20-2004, 06:52 PM

which foods are high in it?

thanks.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#7 of 650 Old 09-25-2004, 03:31 PM

http://www.inositol-natural.com/
this link has info on what foods contain this
#8 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what constitutes a "large dose"?

And what is 5-htp?

This is very interesting.
#9 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

My doc recommended a 4 tablespoon a day dosage. I take it all at once, mixed with applesauce or juice. For the 5-HTP I use L-tyrosine which you can get at any healthfood store. It helps regulate hormones (I can't remember if it's the pituitary or thyroid it acts on.) I take one 500mg capsule. I can tell you, there's a difference for sure-and I'm under a huge amount of stress with a DCF case right now. Check me out, I'm not freaking out!
#10 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 PM

Thank Elisabeth! Some more questions if you don't mind:

- Did I read you right 4 tablespoons? I assume you are taking the powder form? The bottle Dh & I just bought says the recommended dose is 1/4 TEAspoon So I wanted to make extra sure. If I take it 4 Tbsp at a time I'll use the bottle up in about 5 days!

- Did your doc base your dosage on weight, or what? I can't ask my own doc, as I have no doc and no insurance : (even if I could find a doc that would not laugh at me for this) Can it be OD'd on?

- So what does it taste like anyway?

- How long have you been on it? How long till you noticed a difference?

- Have you noticed any side effects? Particularly, any hair loss? From my reading, hair loss is a common initial side effect of SSRI's like Zoloft. I am already shedding from the stress & anxiety, and I'm, um, kind of obsessive about my hair : Not that I wouldn't take it if it caused shedding, necessarily, but I'd want to be prepared for it.

Off to poke through the inositol site. Thanks!
#11 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM

Just found this: Inositol & Goldfish
Quote:
Inositol ... administered in aquarium water showed enhancement of swimming activity of goldfish after acute treatment (5 hours).
:

More helpfully: Inositol has therapeutic effects in depression, panic and OCD

ETA: AnyVitamin.com on Inositol (some general information)

Will edit again if I find anything else
#12 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, four-freakin-tablespoons. It wasn't based on weight...I dunno what it's based on. I noticed a difference within a week or so. I haven't been losing any hair-and I'm right there with you I don't know if it can be OD'd on-I will tell you I weigh about 180 at this point, but again, my doc never asked my weight. Good luck!
#13 of 650 Old 09-30-2004, 11:37 PM

Wow, I think I will have to start at a lower dose & work up if necessary. That stuff isn't cheap! (Although DH says, if it can make a difference in a week or so for me, he doesn't care how much it costs, I'm gettin' it ) I know the therapeutic doses mentioned in the bit I linked to weren't quite that high. Oh and so far all I've read about OD'ing is that there are no toxic effects known but that diarrhea can accompany high doses.

Good news on the hair front I was intrigued because I've seen it mentioned numerous times now that inositol is supposed to be GOOD for hair and hair growth, and in fact one place said there was anecdotal evidence that men on supplemental inositol slowed the rate of hair loss! Yay! I believe I've seen L-tyrosine mentioned on my long hair forum as good for hair loss too.

I'm still giggling about the goldfish though.
#14 of 650 Old 10-18-2004, 02:15 AM

It's working! It's working!!

I'm taking way less than Elisabeth, which may be why it took longer for me to see a difference. We've been having trouble finding it in large quantities, and it's a big stretch on our tiny budget, but I'd like to up my dose and see if it gets even better.

I take 1 tablespoon every morning in a smoothie, which also contains some protein since I tend towards hypoglycemia.

I'm also taking 500mg of L-tyrosine and a high-potency B complex, morning and night (I noticed when I was pregnant that B's helped ward off depression) alsong with my multivites. I add flax oil to my smoothie with the inositol.

My hair loss peaked briefly (ouch ) and now seems to be on the decline. I can't say whether this is related to the inositol or not, however.

The best source we've found for inositol so far is, I think, www.vitacost.com, where we found an 8 oz bottle. We're currently looking for a pharmacy that can order it in quantity.

I can experience stress without blowing my top. I can enjoy talking to ds again. I feel motivated to do housework. I feel snugglier towards DH. My anxiety is decreasing. I sleep soundly. I haven't had a panic attack in a week and a half. It's a miracle!
#15 of 650 Old 10-18-2004, 02:30 AM

I have used Inositol to treat hairloss in dogs if that helps!

Who stole my signature!
#16 of 650 Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM

I'm going to check it out, too.
But also wanted to say that I'm taking St.Johns Wort & a super-B-complex vitamin & it's working really well, too.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#17 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 12:35 PM

How's everyone doing on this? I just picked some up, but didn't pick up the 5-htp (I picked up passionflower instead, but I don't know if that can be used with inositol). I didn't know that you had to take such a huge dose though...guess I'll take some more later. Is it effective without the 5-htp? Here's hoping this works!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#18 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 02:46 PM

Hey mamas! I am so glad I saw this thread...I have been suffering from massive depression on and off for years, and I can feel it coming on now. I am almost 34 weeks pregnant, does anyone know if this is ok during pregnancy? Also what doses are you taking of the b-vitimins(and is there a particular brand/type of b vitimins that are good/better)? and L-tyrosine? If it's not ok during pregnancy I at least have something to look forward to treatment wise after the baby comes.
Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#19 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 04:46 PM

All right...I took a tablespoon about an hour and a half ago...now I'm pretty calm (the calmest I've been in days) but I'm nauseous and my stomach is gurgling. Are these three things (sudden calmness, nausea, and gurgling) related to the inositol? Does it really work this fast?

#20 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Is anyone taking this in the capsule form? How would that differ from the powder? How many miligrams are being reccomended daily?
TIA~Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#21 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 PM

I was going to take the capsules, but there was wheat in it...I'm gluten intolerant. So, I'm taking the powder.

I think it wore off...I'm back to constant anxiety and now I have no appetite.

#22 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 10:45 PM

I take 12 grams daily (12 grams is the dose studied in the links I gave above). How many tea-/tablespoons this is depends on the brand. The bottle will tell you there is "x" mg per so much powder (usually per 1/4 tsp serving size). I put the powder in a morning smoothie.

I took the capsules for about a week when my health food store was out of the powder. Since I didn't want to swallow 24 of them (they were 500mg each), I opened them up into my smoothie. I have some capsules left over, and if I feel particularly unstable I empty one onto my tongue and swallow it straight (I also take an extra magnesium tablet). This seems to work.

AllyRae, I didn't notice consistent change until, I think, a bit more than a week, but as I said I can take an extra capsule & feel better shortly. So I dunno

Debi, I'm taking 500mg twice daily of the L-tyrosine, and a "B-100" complex twice daily. The B-100 contains 100mg of each component per tablet, which is several thousand times the RDA of most of them so I would advise you to Google niacin and pyroxidine toxicity (those are the B's you can OD on), familiarize yourself with the toxicity symptoms as well as the hard numbers and start at a lower dosage. I appear to need huge amounts of B's, either that or I'm not absorbing most of them. I've read that stress ups your need for B's.

I don't know any reason why this program wouldn't be appropriate during pregnancy but it would probably be a good idea to discuss it with a midwife or OB who's knowledgeable on vitamin therapies.
#23 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Oh, yeah: the current best deal on inositol that I know of is at www.puritan.com. They only carry 2-oz bottles, but they are having a buy 2, get 4 free sale, so I ordered 12 oz for about $25 plus very reasonable shipping. Their brand is also high potency, 1000mg per 1/4 tsp as opposed to the usual 700-800mg range, which is nice and makes it a better deal.
#24 of 650 Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 PM

OH HOLY MOLEY! I'm so excited! I can't stand it! I can't wait until I have some cashola to get some! I'm weaning off of Effexor right now!! *pray it goes well!*
#25 of 650 Old 10-27-2004, 03:19 AM

Thanks so much for the info. i talked to my mw today, and she said she doesn't see that it would be a problem...I can not wait to try this...how long will the 12 oz last you?
Debi

#26 of 650 Old 10-27-2004, 12:21 PM

Oh my gosh...this stuff makes me SO tired! I literally can't keep my eyes open after I take a tsp. How long does it take until you don't always feel wiped out after you take it?

#27 of 650 Old 10-27-2004, 06:11 PM

Wow, AllyRae, beats me. I never had it make me feel drowsy. Maybe you could take it before bed? Or split the dose, morning & evening?

Debi, 12 oz should be a good 2 months' supply for me, unless I'm screwing up the math : (ETA: That's if it's 1000mg per 1/4 tsp potency, since how long a bottle lasts really depends on how many mgs are in it, not how many spoonfuls, kwim?)
#28 of 650 Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 PM

LOL...that doesn't help my anxiety any... : I did split it and even a 1 tsp dose knocks me out....

#29 of 650 Old 10-29-2004, 04:31 PM

Ok, I discovered that the fatigue lessens if I take more protein too... However, my breastfeeding 11 month old gets diahreah now...probably a side effect of too much inositol... Hopefully this stops soon for him!

I definately notice a difference though...the anxiety/panic is still there, but the inositol takes the edge off...

#30 of 650 Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 PM

Also, AllyRae, if you pop over to Health & Healing, there's a thread somewhere in there that I started listing ALL the things I'm doing/taking to treat my depression & anxiety. The inositol is a major, key part of it, but not everything. If I don't get enough B vitamins, or enough protein, or enough sleep, or enough water, I tweak out again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page