i've found what helped me this time around was...
* having a completely empowered labor + birth
* having the freedom to be in constant contact w/ my littlest one for as long as i needed / wanted it
* breastfeeding on demand
* carrying her
* having more support from community / family / friends
* getting back Out In The World immediately
* writing down all my feelings + talking about them w/ other mamas
* taking every day 1 day at a time
* eating... no, not eating right per se, just eating
. drinking lots of water. taking walks whenever possible w/ my little ones.
w/ my first, i suffered from prenatal + postpartum depression. i had a not-so-great birth experience, no support, didn't breastfeed, didn't know about AP, and didn't have any other mamas to talk with. after he was born, i didn't take care of myself. i never had enough food to eat. i excercised too much. etc.
this time around, i was hit very hard w/ prenatal depression BUT once she was born, all of the above really helped lift me up. the depression i experienced was very mild in comparison, + mostly situational ~ no money, having to go back to work, etc etc.